Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it will nice to maintain a thread listing the features difference between the Opel Ampera E and the Chevy Bolt EV. Maybe there are some feature we can retrofit in our Bolts and vice-versa.
I'm thinking things like folding mirrors, which seem to be a must have for smaller parking space in European cities, does the Ampera E have folding mirrors?
Or the blank buttons on the lower dash, maybe we can retrofit them?
They seem to have a stronger parcel shelf in the back too.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Also some safety features I've heard as well with the electronics. Nothing I'd really bat an eye at except for those folding mirrors... those I do want for sure as parking in mall parking lots can be horrendous and those can help quite a bit.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
The top of the line Ampera E in the Netherlands:

Misses "rear view LCD" instead of "rear view mirror".
Misses bird view camera's.
Adds fully automatic hands-off parking, left or right side, parallel or right-angled.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ampera-E also gets the better, rigid cargo security shade standard in the Premier trim while we get the foldable cloth one. We can order the rigid security shade and install it ourselves, though, for $200.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Ampera-E also gets the better, rigid cargo security shade standard in the Premier trim while we get the foldable cloth one. We can order the rigid security shade and install it ourselves, though, for $200.
I was going to order this, but when I saw the cloth one I decided against it. IMHO the cloth shade provides enough protection from prying eyes and it has the advantage of (a) being flexible in case your cargo is just a little too tall, and (b) it lacks the side pieces that can also interfere with oversized cargo.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd have liked to have the power folding mirrors and the auto-park - not because I'd use them, but it would be cool to show it off to friends and family!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was going to order this, but when I saw the cloth one I decided against it. IMHO the cloth shade provides enough protection from prying eyes and it has the advantage of (a) being flexible in case your cargo is just a little too tall, and (b) it lacks the side pieces that can also interfere with oversized cargo.
The cloth one also stores more easily in the car when removed to allow for bulky cargo. The hard covers I had in other cars did not fit well anywhere in the car when loaded with bulky cargo.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I decided the same. I carry my bike in the back frequently and the soft shade removes and stores easily. With two trunks and a privacy shade, I am unsure just how useful the behind rear seat inflexible shelf would be.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well dang it, the Ampera-e is the superior GM EV.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As we know the Bolt / Ampera has a 32 amps charging limit. But it also has two alternate charge limits (Bolt: 8 and 12 amps, Ampera 6 and 10 amps) that you can choose between via a setting in the infotainment system. The question came up: what makes the car decide between applying the fixed 32 amp limit or one of the selectable limits? Conclusion:

The Bolt decides based upon the voltage:
- 120 volt -> L1 charging -> car reports to be connected to a portable charge cord -> uses one of the selectable limits
- 240 volt -> L2 charging -> car reports to be connected to a charge station -> uses the fixed 32 amps limit

The Ampera E decides based upon the advertised maximum current:
- <= 10 amps -> car reports to be connected to a portable charge cord -> uses one of the selectable limits
- 10 amps -> car reports to be connected to a charge station -> uses the fixed 32 amps limit

Unknown at this time is how the Ampera E would react when it was connected to an EVSE running at 120 volt and advertising > 10 amps.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Unknown at this time is how the Ampera E would react when it was connected to an EVSE running at 120 volt and advertising > 10 amps.
Is there any possibility of connecting an Ampera to 120V without shipping it overseas? If not, then it's not worth worrying about.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts