Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EMISSIONS OVERRIDE, FEDERAL (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington)

What the heck does this mean? Does it mean the car has a button to emit smoke in non-CARB states?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Give corporate a call and ask them to explain it to you. I don’t have any idea. Not overly worried about it either but get back to us with what they say.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
In non-CARB states, the Bolt is now required to have a “emissions override” package (a.k.a. “rolling coal” emissions generator), that adds a tail-pipe and special “add-black” reservoir that feeds the DPF (dark-particulate former). The car's external warning speaker system also emits a sputtering sound as the car drives, at all speeds, not just under 10 mph.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
In non-CARB states, the Bolt is now required to have a “emissions override” package (a.k.a. “rolling coal” emissions generator), that adds a tail-pipe and special “add-black” reservoir that feeds the DPF (dark-particulate former). The car's external warning speaker system also emits a sputtering sound as the car drives, at all speeds, not just under 10 mph.
I disabled my external speaker, I’m in America so I live in a non CARB state, should I export my car to California or risk being non compliant in Wisconsin?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I disabled my external speaker, I’m in America so I live in a non CARB state, should I export my car to California or risk being non compliant in Wisconsin?
It sounds like a button to make the car compliant in CARB states. So I guess that means the Bolt emits smoke, make noise, and shakes UNLESS you depress the button. I wonder if there's a way to just keep the vibration on... would be nice to have a massaging seat.

I wonder if you have to go to the dealer every 6 month or 5000 miles to get the smoke generator refilled. And I guess you'll still have to do annual smog inspection for registration. Also, are cops now looking at your car to ensure it's emitting some kind of pollution or else give you a ticket.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It sounds like a button to make the car compliant in CARB states. So I guess that means the Bolt emits smoke, make noise, and shakes UNLESS you depress the button. I wonder if there's a way to just keep the vibration on... would be nice to have a massaging seat.

I wonder if you have to go to the dealer every 6 month or 5000 miles to get the smoke generator refilled. And I guess you'll still have to do annual smog inspection for registration. Also, are cops now looking at your car to ensure it's emitting some kind of pollution or else give you a ticket.
Yes, in theory the AdBlack™ reservoir needs to be regularly refilled with genuine AdBlack™ fluid (also known as dirty-exhaust fluid [DEF] —made from a mix of oil residues and organic waste with a high urea content). But in the dirty-emissions scandal, GM was actually found to be not emitting enough particulates, meaning that AdBlack™ did not need to be refilled as often as it should. As a result of the EPA finding (which also found a lack of NOxious smells), GM was found guilty and as a penance must build coal mines and coal power plants throughout the midwest, and infrastructure to support coal-powered vehicles.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes, in theory the AdBlack™ reservoir needs to be regularly refilled with genuine AdBlack™ fluid (also known as dirty-exhaust fluid [DEF] —made from a mix of oil residues and organic waste with a high urea content). But in the dirty-emissions scandal, GM was actually found to be not emitting enough particulates, meaning that AdBlack™ did not need to be refilled as often as it should. As a result of the EPA finding (which also found a lack of NOxious smells), GM was found guilty and as a penance must build coal mines and coal power plants throughout the midwest, and infrastructure to support coal-powered vehicles.
Wow, good point. Though, I see it more likely a VW issue as they go all electric. GM should have have a problem meeting the minimum emission level across the fleet. Hm... and Tesla will need to buy credits from Toyota and GM too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts