Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to keep a lot of stuff in the Armrest Storage area. But Chevy doesn't line it with felt or any type of soft material so it doesn't make a ruckus in there.

So I decided to line mine with felt that I bought at the local craft store. $2 worth of 4 9x12 Felt sheets (I ended up using 2, might do the bottom, deeper storage as well) and $2 for the 2 glue sticks.

I was thinking of just lining the floor of the top tray but decided to just take it to the top. For whatever reason my x-acto knife wasn't cutting the felt as cleanly as I would have liked. But no ones going to see it so I'm not too concerned.

I lined the floor of the top tray with 3 layers to give it some extra padding. I'll probably end up doing the bottom deeper storage area as well.

ps: Also mounted and plugged in my Lvl 2 charger as well.

Is it weird I'm having more fun driving my Bolt than I did with my Subaru STI????? :D:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Tire pressure gauge is still useful for spares that don't have a TPMS sensor. Also, easier to use the gauge's nib to let out pressure versus your keys or your fingernail.

jonstor, did you use glue to adhere the felt or did it come backed with an adhesive? I've got some spare loop-sided velcro tape (the side that the velcro hooks "hook" onto) that could be used as liner but the strips are narrow and it'd look ugly. Was curious about the felt you had and if it had adhesive backing. Don't want to breakout the glue just yet.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I took that little divider in there out. Now I have a nice deep pocket and I think I will line it with felt too !
Will also line the glove compartment.
I hate rattling things..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tire pressure gauge is just old habit. I'd feel naked without it to be honest. And it's also nice to have in a pinch in case I need to help someone out at the pump on the off chance I need to add air.

quirky: I just used a regular gluestick. Although the felt with the adhesive backing would work well too. Make sure you get a lot of glue stick if you decide to go that route. The felt seems to be sticking well so we'll see how well it works out for the long term. I lined the top tray with a cpl of layers to soften it up so nothing rattles against the plastic. If I could do over again, I'd wrap the felt over the edges and glue it to the side. I tried to cut it right at the top and for whatever reason, my x-acto knife wasn't giving me clean cuts. The felt kept catching and I would get a lot of stray strands as you can see in the pic.

If you want to line the bottom compartment I would cut the felt size, so you don't have to trim it off the top.

As for the glove compartment. I was at Michael's to buy more felt and they had these thin sheets of foamy type material. I bought a large sheet of that and lined the bottom of the glove. Worked well and it's much easy to cut to size. Need to get some more so I can line the whole thing. I attached a pic for ya (looks like I might need more glue on the bottom there).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
jonstor, did you use glue to adhere the felt or did it come backed with an adhesive?
I did the same thing using adhesive-backed foam board from a craft store. The adhesive is relatively weak so the foam can be pulled off if necessary.

I use adhesive-backed "loop" velcro for padding from time to time, but because it has to withstand the force of pulling the velcro apart the adhesive is super strong and once you've applied that stuff it's almost impossible to get off.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I use adhesive-backed "loop" velcro for padding from time to time, but because it has to withstand the force of pulling the velcro apart the adhesive is super strong and once you've applied that stuff it's almost impossible to get off.
Good point. I'm remembering now how hard it was to remove that velcro adhesive. It does hold together well when removing, the adhesive, and doesn't disintegrate into a mess you have to rub off with Goof-Off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts