Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I’ve said it in this forum before, but the Korean version of Bolt does not come with a portable charger or a tire inflator kit. Luckily, I was gifted a Hyundai charging assist package from an EV forum recently. So I was finally able to put a charger in the spot where there was supposed to be one.

The assist package also comes with a charging cable used at a charging station that lacks a cable. I put that inside a storage box in the trunk that I put my cleaning supplies in.

I don’t think I’ll be using these so much, but they should provide some peace of mind when I travel away from home.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well you got the screw driver and that blue thing (iirc road side flags). My Canadian market car didn't come with those items. I got the other things though.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I never thought much about it, but what is supposed to be in the Bolt's trunk? That molded foam carrier is similar to the one under the floor in our 2011 GM SUV, but our Premier was sold to us with the L1 charger and a big empty space under the floor.

jack vines

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never thought much about it, but what is supposed to be in the Bolt's trunk? That molded foam carrier is similar to the one under the floor in our 2011 GM SUV, but our Premier was sold to us with the L1 charger and a big empty space under the floor.

jack vines
The space under the foam carrier has the car audio amplifier unit, at least if you have the Bose sound system option. The empty square spaces in the carrier in my photo are supposed to have the emergency tire sealing goo (smaller left square) and the air pump (larger center square). The mold shape of the right corner corresponds to the portable charger's plug, but it doesn't match the Hyundai one that I got, so I didn't put it there.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

As I put the charger in, I thought I might as well fill the other space. So I went ahead and bought a portable tire inflator for about US$12.50. It uses the 12V socket like the GM’s stock unit.

The difference is that it’s so small that it fits into the space where the tire goo goes in.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Latest update - I decided to cut some of the foam to see if I can fit more stuff...

And I can now fit both the extra charging cable and the portable charger together. The compartment is now full. More space for the upper cargo area!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Where is the towing hook?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Where is the towing hook?
It is a towing eyelet, not a hook. Our LT came with the towing eyelet, and nothing else, in the foam. The EVSE was still in a plastic bag, lying on the cargo area carpet. I removed the foam insert, and tripled the storage area. Here are somebody else's shots.

1603031238557.png 1603031174138.png

·
Registered
266 Posts
It is a towing eyelet, not a hook. Our LT came with the towing eyelet, and nothing else, in the foam. The EVSE was still in a plastic bag, lying on the cargo area carpet. I removed the foam insert, and tripled the storage area. Here are somebody else's shots.

View attachment 31125 View attachment 31124
Is the cargo flooring piece stout enough to make that span without the support of the foam insert underneath ... or does that insert come up short anyway? Always hated it years ago when that flooring piece ended up getting bowed over time after years of throwing stuff on top without the proper support underneath. Back then it was always made of some kind of thin "composite" board (like that pegboard material), covered with carpeting. What is the Bolt's flooring piece made out of ... rigid plastic? That would probably be pretty stout.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Is the cargo flooring piece stout enough to make that span without the support of the foam insert underneath ... or does that insert come up short anyway? Always hated it years ago when that flooring piece ended up getting bowed over time after years of throwing stuff on top without the proper support underneath. Back then it was always made of some kind of thin "composite" board (like that pegboard material), covered with carpeting. What is the Bolt's flooring piece made out of ... rigid plastic? That would probably be pretty stout.
The carpet is pretty limp without support...just a thick, formed felt backing. I cut two vertical cargo compartment walls out of 1" blue foam. They are notched and fit together in a cross shape, to create four compartments. I have our OEM spare wheel over there anyway. And yes, you could fit a factory false floor over that wheel.

1603045317154.png

For five months, ours has looked like this.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts

Meh....Tomato tomatoe.....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I had actually considered removing the foam entirely, but I discovered that the Bose sound system installed in that tire well (mine's a Premier with "Safety Pack" that includes Bose upgrade) was already taking quite a bit of space and the foam was providing a nice protection around it. So instead of removing, I went ahead with "optimizing" the shape to fit more stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts