Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Premier owner here, 36k miles with interim fix applied a few months ago.
I took the car to the dealer yesterday for the final battery update & 2 other jobs: Correct tire sensors & perform 30k miles car inspection (see attached).
Turned it in to front desk at 11:45am, received call that car is ready at 12:36pm.
The final update shows up like others have reported - hilltop reserve returned, energy screen reset etc.
My issue is I'm sure they could not conceivably have inspected the battery pack in such a short time. Aren't they required to do a physical module/pack inspection during this update?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
2017 Premier owner here, 36k miles with interim fix applied a few months ago.
I took the car to the dealer yesterday for the final battery update & 2 other jobs: Correct tire sensors & perform 30k miles car inspection (see attached).
Turned it in to front desk at 11:45am, received call that car is ready at 12:36pm.
The final update shows up like others have reported - hilltop reserve returned, energy screen reset etc.
My issue is I'm sure they could not conceivably have inspected the battery pack in such a short time. Aren't they required to do a physical module/pack inspection during this update?
Thanks!
Seems a little quick, but still reasonable. There's not a physical inspection, it's all software. They plug in the the diagnostic module, read the cell voltages, compare the average voltage with the lowest voltage, and then install the software update if no problems are diagnosed. GM's service bulletin estimates about an hour, but I could see an experienced technician doing it more quickly.

It's more likely that the "world class multipoint vehicle inspection" was bunk.

Put another way, if you have hilltop reserve back, you know the software was actually installed. If you're not seeing more than a 0.08V difference between the average cell and lowest cell, your pack wouldn't have been diagnosed with a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @liuelson. I asked for the battery inspection report which they declined with "we did what was needed, there is no report to share"

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
998 Posts
I hope that recall number on the invoice is a typo. You were supposed to get N202311731
Jeez, Would this be a cause for concern?
What was XXXX 1730? Could it be phase 1 of the recall?
Do they really type in all this info and it's just a typo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@GJETSON - good eye! Hilltop is back so it should have the right software now.

I'm still surprised that they did it so fast. I suspect they reprogrammed but did not check voltages carefully.

·
Registered
8,681 Posts

I'm still surprised that they did it so fast. I suspect they reprogrammed but did not check voltages carefully.
Checking the voltages takes ten seconds. It is all part of the software in the GDS2 system installed on their laptop It checks the voltages just like you do with Torque Pro.

If you had a cell/s that fell outside the acceptable voltage, that is when the time gets huge. At that point they have to pull, and open the pack, and plug a piece of equipment directly into the module.

·
Registered
username LT
686 Posts

It's unfortunate that your work-performed list doesn't show the proper version done even though it seems like you got it having hilltop back.
You could also do a DCFC from a lower than 50% to see if the taper goes down slowly rather than the fast drops of before. (unless you had that done some time earlier...and that you have DCFC)

·
Registered
779 Posts

Checking the cell voltages takes very little time. You can do it yourself with an OBD-II reader and @Telek 's PIDs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@GJETSON - you're right. I guess I was a little suspect because front desk had told me that their EV tech was out but that it's only reprogramming so someone else can do it.

Feels like it's all good. I'll verify with OBD2 reader

·
Registered
184 Posts
With the tools that the dearlership uses, it's 5 minutes tops to check the battery, including getting everything hooked up. Takes longer to reprogram the module.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update. The dealer called and admitted that the wrong software x730 vs x731 may have been applied. I'm surprised because the full range &hilltop was restored but i suppose an even earlier software could have been flashed?? Im having to return for a check up to be sure.

Also Chevrolet told me that buybacks/swaps are not permitted anymore because the final fix has full range restored.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Quick update. The dealer called and admitted that the wrong software x730 vs x731 may have been applied. I'm surprised because the full range &hilltop was restored but i suppose an even earlier software could have been flashed?? Im having to return for a check up to be sure.

Also Chevrolet told me that buybacks/swaps are not permitted anymore because the final fix has full range restored.
I don't understand this either. If the temporary fix had been applied, you shouldn't have hilltop reserve. Weird.

·
Registered
'19 Bolt Premier; '13 Leaf SV w/premium
1,284 Posts
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-3618.pdf (10 pages) is the procedure for the final remedy. It is 1 of 34 associated docs at Vehicle Detail Search | NHTSA. This URL along w/the 2018 and 2019 counterparts need to be made sticky, if they haven't been already.

Bolt EV Battery Cell Inspection – TechLink is also insightful but also repeats some info from the bulletin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts