Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I doubt that a better, more appropriate hitch will come along any time soon for this car, in terms of durability and ease of install.

At long last! After looking in to multiple trailer hitches, I finally spring for the Draw-Tite 24956, which is rated at 2000 lbs / 200 lb tongue weight. $130 delivered. Sure, it's only 1 1/4" but... it seems rock solid, and doesn't require you to completely remove the entire ass of the car to install, and doesn't hang down, and isn't flimsy and pathetic. It also is incredibly easy to install - I did this in my driveway this morning in under 45 minutes start to finish. The hardest part was trimming the facia, which I did with an X-Acto blade and a steel ruler (and a drill for clean corners). Like others have said, the kit is complete and the instructions are simple and easy to follow.

I backed the car up onto ramps to get the butt up higher, and I'd recommend this to would-be installers. As for the torque wrench? Don't bother delaying installation, but do delay towing until you put the fasteners to the recommended torque. No harm in using Loctite either.

Yeah, there are some 2" receivers ones out there, but you probably shouldn't be seriously towing anything that needs that big a hitch with this car. Also, they cost $300 or so. So it's a waste of money I figure.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Why did you start yet another thread about trailer hitches? There are already several out there, and they discuss the merits of the Draw-Tite versus the competition, as well as the ease of installation.

I'm happy you're happy with yours, but we've all been here before...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you start yet another thread about trailer hitches?
Hi Greg,
Fantastic question, and an excellent point to boot. I started this thread because the others on this topic are a zillion posts deep, stray off the topic, and can be hard to follow, in addition to spending quite a bit of time describing the failure modes of the sub-optimal competition, which, honestly, nobody should be buying anyway. Additionally, I have a very high opinion of my own opinions, which in my opinion, is completely justified. Since as you point out, we've all been down this long road before, I decided to create a post that's less of a discussion and more of an editorial, stopping point. A "read-only" if you will. A documentation of the state-of-the-art.

Sincerely,
Pigwich

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi Greg,
Fantastic question, and an excellent point to boot. I started this thread because the others on this topic are a zillion posts deep, stray off the topic, and can be hard to follow, in addition to spending quite a bit of time describing the failure modes of the sub-optimal competition, which, honestly, nobody should be buying anyway. Additionally, I have a very high opinion of my own opinions, which in my opinion, is completely justified. Since as you point out, we've all been down this long road before, I decided to create a post that's less of a discussion and more of an editorial, stopping point. A "read-only" if you will. A documentation of the state-of-the-art.

Sincerely,
Pigwich
Besides, none of the other post mention the joy of truck nuts!

Keith

PS: Nobody forced me to click on this thread, I fell sad for those forced to read everything. The "mark all read" button is a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Yeah, there are some 2" receivers ones out there, but you probably shouldn't be seriously towing anything that needs that big a hitch with this car. Also, they cost $300 or so. So it's a waste of money I figure.
The 2" receivers typically support 200 lbs compared to 100 lbs for a lot of the 1" receivers. If you want to put 2 or 3 bikes on the back, you can easily exceed 100 lbs when you factor in the weight of the rack.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Looks great @Pigwich !

That 1.25" receiver rated at 2000 lbs / 200 lb tongue weight would be plenty to tow a Jetski or even a small boat like a classic 13' Whaler. You'd have to rig a connector for the trailer lights at that point though.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the same hitch installed, including a "how to" installation video on YouTube.

It is so easy to remove and install that it lives in my garage most of the time, and I only put it on when I need to tow something... why carry the extra weight when you don't need too?

I am looking forward to getting a motorcycle trailer (designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle, not for hauling a motorcycle) camper to pull behind the Bolt. If we had that, my wife and I would do a summer road trip where each night after a day of driving we stop at a camp ground instead of a Hotel for the night, and leave the next day with a full charge :)

Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts