Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Parts required

-tt-30 extension cord
-hospital grade outlet
-5000w power converter transformer (like a EU to US converter)
-3m 5200 adhesive sealant
-bolts, drills, files, time,
-strain relief, hose clamp for extra security
Can you share were you sourced the transformer and a wiring diagram? I'd like to try this project too! There are many campsites that only have TT-30 and this would let you charge nearly twice as fast!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I got the transformer from a 5000w voltage converter off ebay like one you would use for usa to EU votlage.

easiest way to see diagram is to look at pic probably.

neutral to yellow

Tt30 line to red or blue

outlet line to red or blue

outlet neutral to red or blue

outlet ground tt30 ground

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with other post, a solution in search of a problem and just put in a 220volt plug...

I somehow thought this was about using the Bolt to get 220volts from it via the front charge port. Now that we could use! :)
has anyone "hardwired" a AC inverter into their bolt?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I agree with other post, a solution in search of a problem and just put in a 220volt plug...

I somehow thought this was about using the Bolt to get 220volts from it via the front charge port. Now that we could use! :)
has anyone "hardwired" a AC inverter into their bolt?
This is solving my can only charge on 120v problem and solving me encountering tt-30 on road trips and only being able to do 12a

I don’t know why you think it is easier for me to rewire other people’s stuff on road trips.. it’s like you didn’t even read the thread. It is working great. I have been using it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It is too bad that there was apparently never a J-1772 specification supporting charging from a 30 Amp 120 Volt source, though it is understandable that it was seen as something most users would never need. I suspect that most EV chargers like that of the Bolt have hardware that is technically capable of doing this, but without an appropriate specification there is no support for it. I believe someone mentioned there is an EV that can do this, but I have forgotten which one it was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is solving my can only charge on 120v problem and solving me encountering tt-30 on road trips and only being able to do 12a

I don’t know why you think it is easier for me to rewire other people’s stuff on road trips.. it’s like you didn’t even read the thread. It is working great. I have been using it.
Ok, I forgot Campgrounds use high AMP 120v circuits... I didn't say there wasn't a problem, just said it was in search of it. :)
I also deal with solar and its a known (in the solar world) that you can use a transformer to go this route. I used a 24v to 12v dc one myself. Glad it works for you though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It is too bad that there was apparently never a J-1772 specification supporting charging from a 30 Amp 120 Volt source, though it is understandable that it was seen as something most users would never need. I suspect that most EV chargers like that of the Bolt have hardware that is technically capable of doing this, but without an appropriate specification there is no support for it. I believe someone mentioned there is an EV that can do this, but I have forgotten which one it was.
Supposedly lightning can?

they probably saw it as risky that people would try to pull more than was safe from 120v outlets

21 - 27 of 27 Posts