Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came today, waited for the 7/1 start date, Purchased on 7/3 and had to wait for the title # before MVA would process, Placed in the mail on 7/16, and just got it today. WooWoo, not too bad really 90 days total.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, that may mean I may get a Christmas present or can celebrate the New Year with a check from the MVA. Submitted my application in mid-September.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The MVA approved it about 6 weeks in and then the Attorney Generals office had to release the funds and after a few emails from me begging they released the money last week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Christmas came early! I received my excise tax credit today from Maryland.

Thanks to Jim Fallston for nagging the Attorney General to release the funds.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought they might be sitting on their hands waiting for someone to complain just enough to start dishing it out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just a letter from the Maryland Dept. of Transportation informing me that they had miscalculated my excise tax refund received back in October (see message above) and would be sending me a check to bring my my total excise tax refund to the maximum of $3,000. Sweet!!

Interesting chain of events. The original form I downloaded indicated that since my Bolt's battery was > 30 kWh, I'd get the maximum of $3,000. When I did receive the rebate check, I thought it was low and looked at the on-line form again. An update had occurred and it read that the refund was limited to the excise tax paid. I just checked the form again. It looks like if was updated again and has gone back to the original wording with a > 30 kWh battery getting the maximum rebate permitted: $3,000. Looking forward to receiving my check. Thank you, DoT!

Anyone else get one of these letters?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I received the same letter on Saturday. I had an identical experience the the one you describe: I expected a $3000 credit; but received an excise tax refund of ~$2100. I was going to call the State and ask about it, but saw the website note that the credit was only up to the amount of tax paid, so I figured that I missed some detail or misunderstood the original form. Then the letter arrived that promised the remaining credit amount (to a total of $3k) and I felt like I drew the Monopoly card “bank error in your favor, collect $$.”

I do wonder if the terms of the credit will change in the future, to adhere to that “only up to the amount of tax paid” approach.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
In WA, the first $32,000 of EV is exempt from the .082 sales tax, so we get the $2624 subtracted from the sales tax at time of purchase; no waiting for the rebate.

jack viens

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a check today from Delaware Division of Climate and Energy for $3960. That included $3500 for Clean veh rebate and $460 for 50% of the cost of charging equip up to $500. Charging equip consisted of a Tesla wall charger, a Tesla UMC cord with 14-50 adapter, and a J1772 converter for Tesla cords all bought on Ebay. The funny thing was I bought the Tesla wall charger from a guy in Canada for $370. but it was shipped direct from Tesla Parts Depot in Newark, California which lists them on their website for $550.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got my check yesterday from the Maryland Dept. of Transportation for the remainder of the $3,000 excise tax refund. Came at the end of the 4-6 week window they had indicated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Got my check yesterday from the Maryland Dept. of Transportation for the remainder of the $3,000 excise tax refund. Came at the end of the 4-6 week window they had indicated.
If you don't mind my asking, when did you actually send the letter to MVA? I ask because the form goes two places, starts at MVA (I assume to verify that you've actually bought and registered a new qualifying EV), and then gets handed off to the Comptroller Office who actually issue the check. I was told the Comptroller alone may take 4-6 weeks, but I wonder if they meant 4-6 weeks in total.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think they mean 4-6 weeks total. It took about 6 wks ( I submitted at the end of August 2017) to get the first check which refunded only the excise tax I paid. The check I received yesterday was a result of MD fixing their error and "refunded" the remaining of the maximum amount ($3,000) provided for in the law. MD notified me of their error in mid-December 2017.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I'm really bummed I burned my last MD credit on my leased C-Max Energi. As the credit is written, you can only claim the credit once....ever (and your spouse once as well). The wife and I received credits for our Volt and C-Max (credit only worth $600 for the C-Max). The Bolt would have been worth $3k if I was still eligible.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think they mean 4-6 weeks total. It took about 6 wks ( I submitted at the end of August 2017) to get the first check which refunded only the excise tax I paid. The check I received yesterday was a result of MD fixing their error and "refunded" the remaining of the maximum amount ($3,000) provided for in the law. MD notified me of their error in mid-December 2017.

Hope this helps.
Missed the detail about the adjustment. Thanks for the data point. It does help.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Thank you guys for this very useful thread. Just picked up our Bolt a few weeks ago, and the dealer filed the Excise Tax Credit paperwork for us together with the tag/title (was able to drive away with plates already on the vehicle). My wife and I were under the impression we would only get what we paid for in excise tax (<$3,000). This thread is making me more hopeful now. :D Hopefully the dealer filed the paperwork correctly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you guys for this very useful thread. Just picked up our Bolt a few weeks ago, and the dealer filed the Excise Tax Credit paperwork for us together with the tag/title (was able to drive away with plates already on the vehicle). My wife and I were under the impression we would only get what we paid for in excise tax (<$3,000). This thread is making me more hopeful now. :D Hopefully the dealer filed the paperwork correctly.
I had the same experience, dealer did and submitted the excise tax paperwork -- that was about 2 months ago, so I'm waiting patiently and hoping dealership did the submission correctly (have heard nothing from state of MD.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
There was some initial confusion in Maryland that the excise tax credit would be limited by the amount of excise tax you paid with purchase because of language that said; "up to $3,000 credit". But the limit is the size of battery, not how much excise tax you paid.

Here is link to the clarification bulletin sent to dealers in December 2017.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/_resources/docs/Clean-Cars-Act-Dealer-Bulletin.pdf

Key words:
"A credit is allowed for plug-in electric vehicles and will be granted up to $3,000 regardless of the amount of excise tax paid by a customer."

The limit of funds is the real issue as more EVs are purchased in Maryland.
"This program continues to be subject to available funding which cannot exceed $3,000,000 per fiscal year (ending in June). The MDOT MVA will continue to process the excise tax credit for plug-in electric vehicles until program funds have been depleted."

I bought my Bolt a month ago and have submitted the form, hopefully I'll get the credit before this years funds run out.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Thread resurrection! I received the full $3,000 a little over 2 months after driving the car off the lot. I actually called the dealer a few times to make sure they filed it correctly, which they did.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts