Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ProClip installed in my Bolt EV Premier and have HATED the need to have the USB cable get in the way of myself or my passengers, so I decided to run the cable as hidden as I could without making any holes or damage to the car.

The steps are in the names of the files (in the following comments, because only 10 images per post... and hopefully it makes sense to others...

Enjoy,

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Not bad. Though, pictures are bit small, though. Was that because of an upload limit on the forum? Otherwise, the pics do get the point across especially with the descriptions!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not bad. Though, pictures are bit small, though. Was that because of an upload limit on the forum? Otherwise, the pics do get the point across especially with the descriptions!
I was trying to get the images to be smaller in file size, so I exported them from Apple Photos at the "Medium" setting. Not sure, if the forum re-sized them smaller, since right after I uploaded them, I deleted the copies I exported. Sorry....

I did also post it at "the other forum" ( Found @ {remove the spaces in the hostname} my chevy bolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7475&p=28727#p28691 ) but they only allowed 3 image attachments per post, so I had to put them in 5 replies. MUCH BETTER HERE!!! >:):nerd:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice work.

I don't have pictures, but they wouldn't be hard to get: I've got the other ProClip mount, the one that attaches to the A-pillar, and ran a mostly hidden USB cable for it.

I ran a 10' USB cable inside the rubber door-seal gasket down to the floor, under the carpet floor mat, beneath the driver's seat, and then plugged into the center console. It's exposed for about 4" crossing from the door to the floor mat, and I'll have to see if it wears well, but I got a cable with a tough nylon braided exterior, so I'm optimistic about it's life.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm taking a different tact. My plan is to 3D print a replacement for the charging "cup" and embed a lighting connector in the bottom of it and run the cable up to UBS port adjacent to the charger. This will get me CarPlay, changing and a place to put my plus sized iPhone, which won't fit it the existing charger. The long pole in doing this is teaching myself SolidWorks to design the cup, so don't anyone hold their breath, it's hasn't got well so far.

Oh, and if anyone knows any good free SolidWorks tutorials it would speed things up. The ones included with SW are pretty marginal and all the videos have been abysmal.

Ron

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nice work.

I don't have pictures, but they wouldn't be hard to get: I've got the other ProClip mount, the one that attaches to the A-pillar, and ran a mostly hidden USB cable for it.

I ran a 10' USB cable inside the rubber door-seal gasket down to the floor, under the carpet floor mat, beneath the driver's seat, and then plugged into the center console. It's exposed for about 4" crossing from the door to the floor mat, and I'll have to see if it wears well, but I got a cable with a tough nylon braided exterior, so I'm optimistic about it's life.
That will be my approach too, as I have an A-pillar mount too. Anybody found a way of connecting the USB cable inside the center console rather than plugging it in on top?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm taking a different tact. My plan is to 3D print a replacement for the charging "cup" and embed a lighting connector in the bottom of it and run the cable up to UBS port adjacent to the charger.
I'd be interested in looking at doing the same, Am currently looking at printing a replacement "rubber sock" for the wireless charger (which doesn't work with my cases) in TPU. But, I'm not able to carve out the time to do the modelling until into the new year.

Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That will be my approach too, as I have an A-pillar mount too. Anybody found a way of connecting the USB cable inside the center console rather than plugging it in on top?
I am still looking at that, but haven't had the time to unplug and map the pinouts of the 2xUSB/3.5mm module. My rough plan is to create a plug adapter that would split off one of the USB plugs for data and power, and then have one USB plug work normally, the other be just charging and have an internal USB port inside the center console. First pass, was just run the wiring cleaner.

Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the ProClip not get in the way of the passenger? Seems to be butting into their legs and knees
For most of my passengers they don't notice it, but EVERY time I get in the passenger seat, my 6'2" body knocks it off the dash. :(
Luckily for me, my girlfriend is short!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
for most of my passengers they don't notice it, but every time i get in the passenger seat, my 6'2" body knocks it off the dash. :(
luckily for me, my girlfriend is short!
Phrasing!</Archer>

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am still looking at that, but haven't had the time to unplug and map the pinouts of the 2xUSB/3.5mm module. My rough plan is to create a plug adapter that would split off one of the USB plugs for data and power, and then have one USB plug work normally, the other be just charging and have an internal USB port inside the center console. First pass, was just run the wiring cleaner.

Scott
Mapping out shouldn't be to difficulty once you gain access to the (exposed) wires underneath the connector:

- cut off the male connector of a USB extension cable
- expose the wires on the little stub
- plug it in
- use an Ohm meter to see which wires of the extension cable connect to which wires in the car

I wonder, would this make one of the USB ports in the connector useless? Isn't the connector simply a passive splitter and haven't we made it a three way splitter rather than a two way splitter? Perhaps we need to be a little bit careful with power consumption.

edit - This very old thread suggests a USB splitter is not simply a passibve thing but in fact a USB device by itself. This would indeed mean one of the ports in the center console would have to be sacrificed when making an internal connection. No big thing, as it would have been used for the phone anyway, if it hadn't been for the internal connection.

edit - This is what the wiring should look like (from here):

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't the connector simply a passive splitter and haven't we made it a three way splitter rather than a two way splitter?
I believe that there are two separate USB lines run, because the USB ports are sensed differently from the head unit as USB1 and USB2. Thus, a splitter like this Onvian USB Male to 2 Female Y Splitter Cable could be used.
Scott

·
Registered
390 Posts
I believe that there are two separate USB lines run, because the USB ports are sensed differently from the head unit as USB1 and USB2. Thus, a splitter like this Onvian USB Male to 2 Female Y Splitter Cable could be used.
Scott
Could it? With what purpose, to create an internal connection while maintaining both external connectors? In that case the splitter cable must be a hub.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could it? With what purpose, to create an internal connection while maintaining both external connectors? In that case the splitter cable must be a hub.
Yes, it's splitting the power and ground, but not the data lines, thus you'd possibly need to worry about having too much current draw on one USB external port if you have a USB device charging from that port, while the internal connection has another device charging on it. It only needs to be a hub if you are trying to split the USB data lines.

See this wiring diagram

Note: The colors are representative of most "normal" USB wiring (except yellow is white for some reason)

Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you wanted to get "fancy" you could hardwire another 12v/5v power supply into the mix, like one of these... [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBCGAL8[/ame]

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, it's splitting the power and ground, but not the data lines, thus you'd possibly need to worry about having too much current draw on one USB external port if you have a USB device charging from that port, while the internal connection has another device charging on it. It only needs to be a hub if you are trying to split the USB data lines.

Scott
Ah, your trying to connect data internally while maintaining the external charging capability. I see.

BTW: Are Male and Female mixed up in the diagram?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts