Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My blind spot warning doesn't work consistently, particularly the driver side, randomly turning on and sometimes doesn't turn off after the space clears. Anyone else has this problem, knows where the sensor is, and if there's something I should check before bringing it in. Problem is that it's random, so likely dealer won't be able to replicate it.
I've come to not trust these stupid technologies, just freaking give me better mirrors and don't tell me engineers can't design a mirror with no blind spot.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
My blind spot warning doesn't work consistently, particularly the driver side, randomly turning on and sometimes doesn't turn off after the space clears.
The system relies on the ultrasonic sensors mounted in the rear bumper. The first thing you should do is to inspect those sensors to make sure that they're not damaged or obstructed and to clean them if they're dirty.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The system relies on the ultrasonic sensors mounted in the rear bumper. The first thing you should do is to inspect those sensors to make sure that they're not damaged or obstructed and to clean them if they're dirty.
Nope! The first thing is to have the system updated. It's not using the backup sensors to alert.
It has sensors up in the body. They don't need to be cleaned. :nerd:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean updating the operating system in the setting option? It's been saying it's uptodate since the day I bought it in July.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nope! The first thing is to have the system updated. It's not using the backup sensors to alert.
It has sensors up in the body. They don't need to be cleaned. :nerd:
:)My wife's 2014 Buick Encore has the same system. No visible sensors.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I don't have links to anything you can get. It's from GM :nerd:
OK, so I went to the trouble of looking in the owners manual. On page 227 it states that the Side Blind Zone Alert (SBZA) system is part of the Lane Change Alert (LCA) system and to read the entire LCA section regarding its use.

And then on page 229 it states:
LCA may not operate when the LCA sensors in the left or right corners of the rear bumper are covered with mud, dirt, snow, ice, or slush, or in heavy rainstorms.
So I stand by my advice to clean those bumper sensors if the SBZA is acting up.

·
Registered
987 Posts
My system has worked amazingly well so far. Catches cars and people 99% of the time it seems.
I think you are confusing the two systems. Blind Spot Alert isn't part of the rear cross traffic and parking sensor system. The BSA is the one that alerts you to vehicles present at the rear, in the blind spots. It activates the outside rear view mirrors yellow warning alert icons, in traffic.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine is AWFUL !!! If it is 'stuck' on the driver side, it will NOT indicate on the passenger side ! It is completely inconsistent. At one point if I am on the highway going 70+ and I let off the pedal in L, drop 5-8 MPH it turns off. Then it won't work doing that, then work. Who knows.
I am a bit peeved that if your car is SLIGHTLY dirty that this malfunctions !!

I thought it was the camera under the mirror. I will have the car washed and see how it goes. But really, so you are telling me I need to wash my car several times a week to make a sensor work ? that seems ridiculous

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
But really, so you are telling me I need to wash my car several times a week to make a sensor work ? that seems ridiculous
I have a small layer of grime on my sensors and they seem to work fine. I think you may be a victim of the "not enough metallic foam tape" issue that one of the posters described - see this thread. It would probably be worth printing out the info in that thread and bringing it to your service department to see if that's what's causing your problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm experiencing this too. It's only happening on the passenger side; driver's side is working perfectly.

I got my Bolt in May, but the problem has only crept up in the last month or two. It seems to be getting progressively worse, as the weather gets colder.

Called the dealer today, explained the problem and pointed him at the TSB. He's ordered the magical tape and is going to call me once it arrives so it can be installed.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well if your bumper is clean, I mentioned in the other posts on this: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/178-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-issues-problems/16922-blind-spot-indicator-not-working-properly.html

I've been running my Foam/Foil tape modification for several weeks now and it surely has fixed my SBZA issues. The SBZA sensors work perfectly now. I've tested this in all kinds of traffic and they work as they should with no false hits or indications.

Either Chevy needs to re-calibrate the sensors( heard someone had this done on the forum but have seen no TSB for it) or Provide more shielding around the sensors( formal fix vs what I did to resolve the issue)

I can see that not many folks feel comfortable putting some foil/foam around the sensors the rear bumper but it does deflect the sensor signals away from the wheel well area which seems to be the culprit, at least it was for me. Believe me I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this because this showed up right after I put my winter wheels on the car. They stick out 1/4" farther than stock wheels and it was tripping my SBZA/mirrors.
It's a simple fix you can try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On another thread I have shared that I am waiting on GM for guidance. My issues with the blind zone alert come and go. After talking with the dealer (and they read the bulletin about the reflective tape) they concluded that it is a wiring problem. GM has a small TSB on this issue and instructed the dealer to examine the wiring to the mirrors and through the doors etc. They expect to find a loose wire or harness. Unfortunately for the last week it has not malfunctioned after a week of acting up non-stop. For me it is not the tape or a dirty car or snow tires or the cold. But I can't let them start taking apart everything until it acts up again.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts