Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bet it will work normally when it rains out as well.

From what I've discovered the sensor signal is reflecting in the wheel well area and cause a false indication. The wetness dampens the signal.
For me it wasn't a wiring issue. Using the foil/foam covering the sensor from the back the problem is gone. The sensor now works as intended, Any car approaching from behind in the left or right lanes will be detected in the blind spot zone and the SBZA light only stays on until the car passes the side view mirrors.

The GM version of the reflective tape needs to be applied around the back of the sensor toward the wheel well not just below as indicated here.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm finally bringing the car in tomorrow to get the bulletin work done (due to a mixup at the dealership, the parts weren't actually ordered previously when they'd said they were.)

Yesterday we had the first rain here since I first noticed the issue, and indeed, the blind spot warning worked perfectly after my car got a good soaking! So optimistic the tape will be a good fix for me. Dealer says he needs my car for the whole day (?) Apparently there's more in the bulletin than just applying the tape, and he wants to work through the whole thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealer just called me. I hadn't told him, when I dropped off the car, that it was only the passenger side that was having a problem.

The tech inspected the car and said that the tape is present on both sides but that on the passenger side it was "out of position" and needed to be "reseated." He's tested it and he says it's good now; I'm on the way to go pick it up. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dealer just called me. I hadn't told him, when I dropped off the car, that it was only the passenger side that was having a problem.

The tech inspected the car and said that the tape is present on both sides but that on the passenger side it was "out of position" and needed to be "reseated." He's tested it and he says it's good now; I'm on the way to go pick it up. Fingers crossed.
You'll be good to go! After all the headache I went through to figure it out and adding the additional Foam/tape to the sensors, I've had no problems since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may have spoken too soon. Starting last night I've noticed that just on the passenger side, the sensor is getting finicky again. It's still much better than before, but at times the sensor is starting to stay lit when nothing's there.

I wonder if my sensor is not secured properly and it has become "unseated" again from normal driving? Anyway, I'm going to give it a few days to see what happens, and then probably will have to bring it in again. :(

·
Registered
722 Posts
I would call them and ask them to get a new piece, then call you when it is in.
I am guessing that stuff, dirt,dust?, got behind and won't stick fully.

Never try to re-stick something that didn't stick enough the 1st time. That goes with everything I have found out.

Let us know what they say

·
Registered
9 Posts
I finally gave in and crawled under the car to have a look at it myself. Indeed on the passenger side, the tape was a bit "crinkled" and there was a small gap where energy could get through. I suspect the technician didn't do a terribly thorough job "fixing" it last time.

I straightened out the tape and then took the car on a 30 minute drive, and the problem appears to be fixed, for now. I also ordered some of this

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-DeadBarrier-Aluminum-Deadener-Finish/dp/B0723DNRW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515890914&sr=8-2&keywords=aluminum+butyl+tape[/ame]

which I will apply if the problem recurs. Or, I may just slap some of the tape up there regardless.

GM should have built proper shielding in to the car in the first place. I suspect this tape was a last-minute fix that they put in when it was too late to engineer a proper solution.

Would have liked it if the dealer had fixed this properly, but $10 plus 15 minutes under the car is just so much less hassle than trying to convince them of what they need to do (plus they will insist on keeping the car all day for something that takes just 5 minutes.)

Perhaps I need to find a new dealership for future servicing?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I finally gave in and crawled under the car to have a look at it myself. Indeed on the passenger side, the tape was a bit "crinkled" and there was a small gap where energy could get through. I suspect the technician didn't do a terribly thorough job "fixing" it last time.

I straightened out the tape and then took the car on a 30 minute drive, and the problem appears to be fixed, for now. I also ordered some of this

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-DeadBarrier-Aluminum-Deadener-Finish/dp/B0723DNRW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515890914&sr=8-2&keywords=aluminum+butyl+tape

which I will apply if the problem recurs. Or, I may just slap some of the tape up there regardless.

GM should have built proper shielding in to the car in the first place. I suspect this tape was a last-minute fix that they put in when it was too late to engineer a proper solution.

Would have liked it if the dealer had fixed this properly, but $10 plus 15 minutes under the car is just so much less hassle than trying to convince them of what they need to do (plus they will insist on keeping the car all day for something that takes just 5 minutes.)

Perhaps I need to find a new dealership for future servicing?
Glad you were able to resolve the issue. I've been going strong without issue since I put the fix in place a few months back. I agree GM should add a bit more to shield the sensor but as you said it's a simple 15 min fix without the hassle of going to the dealer. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yesterday I went back to my OEM all season tires and my winter long issues with flashing lights in my side view mirrors went away as expected. My issue was the snow tires (which were Michelin LRR and the same style and brand as my OEM tires)
However I have opened a case with Chevrolet seeking a fix for all Bolts that have this issue when changing tires. My dealer said the tape was exactly as it should be and GM Tech said the service bulletin did not apply to my issue. They said track all the wiring looking for a loose connection. I told the dealer to just wait until the snow tires came off because that was most likely what started the problem as I have read on this forum. A fix might be more tape but it would be better if GM makes a permanent fix and they are more likely to do that if anyone experiencing the issue after changing tires reports it to Chevrolet customer service 800-222-1020.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I suspect it's more an issue for us folks who live in winter regions and swap tire/ wheels for the season.

I swapped back about 6 weeks ago to my original tires & wheels for the summer, still no issues after the tape fix. Still going strong.

·
Registered
253 Posts
... just freaking give me better mirrors and don't tell me engineers can't design a mirror with no blind spot.
If your mirrors are adjusted correctly, there is no reason to ever have a blind spot, electronic sensors or not. Adjust the side mirrors so that your line of site is just beyond the side of your car. In other words, you should not be able to see any of your vehicle. That gives you A) a full line of vision into the lane on that side and B) it allows you to monitor other vehicles with both the rear view and side view mirrors at the same time.

By the time an oncoming vehicle disappears out of the rear view mirror it is in full view on the side mirror. By the time it disappears from the side mirrror, your peripheral vision will pick it up.

Technology issues resolved.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your mirrors are adjusted correctly, there is no reason to ever have a blind spot, electronic sensors or not. Adjust the side mirrors so that your line of site is just beyond the side of your car. In other words, you should not be able to see any of your vehicle. That gives you A) a full line of vision into the lane on that side and B) it allows you to monitor other vehicles with both the rear view and side view mirrors at the same time.

By the time an oncoming vehicle disappears out of the rear view mirror it is in full view on the side mirror. By the time it disappears from the side mirrror, your peripheral vision will pick it up.

Technology issues resolved.

Well You could always go with these...https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pair-Wide-Angle-Side-Round-Convex-Mirror-RearView-Mirror-Car-Vehicle-Blind-Spot-Mirror-Small-Round/32805908064.html
It would cover up the SBZA-warning light on the mirror too. LOL!:)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I suspect it's more an issue for us folks who live in winter regions and swap tire/ wheels for the season.

I swapped back about 6 weeks ago to my original tires & wheels for the summer, still no issues after the tape fix. Still going strong.
Nope, i do not change tires, yes live in Winter wonderland but if it is this Tape thing, then it could be anyone

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nope, i do not change tires, yes live in Winter wonderland but if it is this Tape thing, then it could be anyone
The winter tire swap was triggering it for me, most annoying was at night having the lights go on and off. Drove me nuts to find the cure.
Other folks like yourself who don't swap wheels/tires were also seeing it randomly.

The added tape fix should still cure it for you. A 10 minute job on each side and you're done. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
No audible alert on the Premier, just a bright yellow star and automobile symbol illuminate on the side mirrors.
Rob, I just bought a used 2017 Bolt. Since you posted this have you discovered a way to turn on an audible alarm (sound) when the blinker is on to change lanes?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts