Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the Chevy Bolt was doing some deep cold testing where it went from Detroit to Ann Arbor during the polar vortex blast. Everything was going great and they managed to hit 200 miles of range, so that's actually a bit of good news. On the flip side.. they did manage to get rear ended by an SUV...

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
200 miles in those conditions seems great to me!! Since this car belongs to GM and is ultimately headed for the scrap yard, I wonder if they will fix it enough to be able to keep testing with it, or just scrap it now and continue testing with another car?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Is it too early to start claiming parts ;)

I can't see why they wouldn't fix it and continue using it for testing though. The damage doesn't look too substantial but considering their budgets are obviously quite large in relevance to the average Joe, they could just leave it in the side of the shop and roll out another one.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Looks about like the damage to my 2003 Jetta and the repair costs were estimated to by $6200. I got $5K from the insurance company and installed a new tail light lens. Good enough to drive until Chevy gets around to delivering me a Bolt. Only estimate I have is at least February.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looks like it's mostly cosmetic damage to the rear body panel and if someone else hit them, I'm sure insurance will cover it. Doubt GM will let people test drive their cars without some precaution against these things happening.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Looks like it's mostly cosmetic damage to the rear body panel and if someone else hit them, I'm sure insurance will cover it. Doubt GM will let people test drive their cars without some precaution against these things happening.
My guess is, GM self insures. They would have to repair it on their own dime. However in this case, they were rear ended so the driver of the SUV would be paying for repairs unless they were uninsured. The question is, would GM bother to repair a car that is scheduled for destruction?

·
Registered
735 Posts
That's what i'm thinking. The furthest back it could have gone was slightly bend the the driver side arm for the hatch and maybe the rebar behind the bumper and the foam between it and the bumper cover.

Not a cheap fix since that rear hatch, bumper, tail light, etc. has to be replaced. Easily a $6k fix from my guesstimate.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
$6k sounds like a good guesstimate including labour, Not too sure if the rebar got smashed in though, doesn't look that bad. Nonetheless, I'm sure other test vehicles have gotten damaged but haven't been brought up and publicized so much. But I'm sure it's no skin off their back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts