Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first road trip in the Bolt. I drove from Kansas City to Joplin. The distance from our house to my parents' in Joplin is 163 miles. I checked ABRP multiple times and it indicated I should make it there with about 40 miles of range left with no stops. Which is good because there are no DCFC between KC and Joplin. I have a 2020 Bolt and we took the drive in May. It was a partly cloudy day with temps in the low 80's. I left the HVAC on auto and the trip was mostly highway miles on I-49. I set the cruise to 70mph and there was a quartering head-wind of roughly 10mph.

We made it to Joplin with 30% charge left with a GOM estimate of 71/61/50. My efficiency was 3.5mi/kWh

I actually got a little better efficiency than I was expecting and we ended up with more charge left than ABRP predicted, which it predicted 20%.

On the way back about half the drive was in rain, but it was mostly overcast and temps were in the mid to upper 70's. Left HVAC on auto and drove the same 70mph on the way back. Not sure what wind speed was, but it wasn't windy, but I'm sure it was coming out of the south giving us a tailwind.

The final result at the end of the return trip was 35% battery charge remaining and an efficiency of 3.7mi/kWh. The GOM indicated 88/75/61.

There are some L2 chargers in Joplin, but no DCFC. It was an extended weekend for us, so I took the granny charger with us and just plugged my car into an outlet at my parents. It had a full charge by the morning we were to depart.

I doubt I'd make this drive during the winter in the Bolt. I don't think it would make it without having a charge stop. Hopefully we'll see a DCFC installed around Nevada, MO at some point. I know Tesla is currently building a SC stop there. It was also a little disappointing there is no DCFC in Joplin.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I know no situations are identical, but I would (and still do) go the 170 miles from Huntington to Columbus (@ 60 mph) in the Wintertime. On a recent (last weekend) 900 mile trip from Huntington to Baltimore and back, we achieved an average of 4.10 miles/kWh (900 miles / 219.7 kWh). In our WV mountains, there is a lot of up and down, but it DOES force you to go more slowly (the single greatest determinant of range modulation).

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
This was my first road trip in the Bolt. I drove from Kansas City to Joplin. The distance from our house to my parents' in Joplin is 163 miles. I checked ABRP multiple times and it indicated I should make it there with about 40 miles of range left with no stops. Which is good because there are no DCFC between KC and Joplin. I have a 2020 Bolt and we took the drive in May. It was a partly cloudy day with temps in the low 80's. I left the HVAC on auto and the trip was mostly highway miles on I-49. I set the cruise to 70mph and there was a quartering head-wind of roughly 10mph.

We made it to Joplin with 30% charge left with a GOM estimate of 71/61/50. My efficiency was 3.5mi/kWh

I actually got a little better efficiency than I was expecting and we ended up with more charge left than ABRP predicted, which it predicted 20%.

On the way back about half the drive was in rain, but it was mostly overcast and temps were in the mid to upper 70's. Left HVAC on auto and drove the same 70mph on the way back. Not sure what wind speed was, but it wasn't windy, but I'm sure it was coming out of the south giving us a tailwind.

The final result at the end of the return trip was 35% battery charge remaining and an efficiency of 3.7mi/kWh. The GOM indicated 88/75/61.

There are some L2 chargers in Joplin, but no DCFC. It was an extended weekend for us, so I took the granny charger with us and just plugged my car into an outlet at my parents. It had a full charge by the morning we were to depart.

I doubt I'd make this drive during the winter in the Bolt. I don't think it would make it without having a charge stop. Hopefully we'll see a DCFC installed around Nevada, MO at some point. I know Tesla is currently building a SC stop there. It was also a little disappointing there is no DCFC in Joplin.
Don't underestimate the impact of a front quartering wind. It's actually worse than a direct headwind. Enough so that I am more concerned by a 15 mph front quartering wind than I am a 25 mph headwind. That being said, in a deep Midwestern winter, you're probably right about 163 miles pushing it a bit too far, but the Bolt EV tends to fare well most other times.

Either way, thanks for the report! I've found ABRP to be overly conservative, and this trip is more evidence of that.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks for the report. You will soon learn not to think twice on trips like this. In the winter, it should still be doable, you just may have to slow down a touch. Otherwise, a DCFC midway would certainly be a nice backup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts