Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevrolet has made good on their promise to make its first sales before the end of this year. GM announced that their first Bolt deliveries were made today and it’s right in Tesla's backyard at Fremont, California.

Maybe this is a dig at Tesla, maybe not, but we do know that there are now three lucky new Bolt owners in Fremont. This took place just a few days after the Volt’s sixth-year anniversary and the GM EV1’s 20th anniversary.

All three owners were excited to take delivery of their new Bolts.

Bobby Edmonds is replacing a BMW i3 with the Bolt EV because “The range and technology attracted me to the Bolt EV. It’s also a great-looking, roomy vehicle and I love the fact it’s from an American brand.” Steve Henry is replacing his Toyota Prius and the Bolt EV will be William “Bill” Mattos’ third Chevrolet electric vehicle.

More lucky owners in California and Oregon should be driving away with their own Bolts soon and then everyone else nationwide will get theirs by mid-2017. In fact, a few Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States including New York, Massachusetts and Virginia should be receiving their deliveries this winter.

GM’s Orion plant is operating on one eight-hour shift a day to produce around 100 Bolts a day and depending on the demand for their newest EV, they may increase that to three shifts.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This is not something BMW will like, the last thing they want is people moving from a product like the i3 to something seen to be lower. Would be interesting to see how it plays out with the Model 3 and what certain buyers history is like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As the new owner of the red one (that's me in the blue sweater), I can say that the Bolt was everything I hoped it would be and more. The performance, ride and handling is second to none, and it's far better looking in person than in photos. But I have only owned it for five hours and had to make a mad dash home and put it in the garage because it looks like rain is headed to Fremont.

Ignore the tag line re: the Silver Bolt. Long story.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Congrats on picking up one of the first three Bolts in California! Makes me wonder if the other two new owners are on the forum too. :D
Have you had a chance to play with the infotainment system yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
As the new owner of the red one (that's me in the blue sweater), I can say that the Bolt was everything I hoped it would be and more. The performance, ride and handling is second to none, and it's far better looking in person than in photos. But I have only owned it for five hours and had to make a mad dash home and put it in the garage because it looks like rain is headed to Fremont.

Ignore the tag line re: the Silver Bolt. Long story.

Did you get inside information? Does the Bolt melt in the rain?????

Just kidding, I test drove Fremont Chevrolet's Bolt in the rain last night, and it was a blast. That "runway" that goes by their lot is fun to push the EV car on.

It was commute, so we did not even think of trying to hit 880.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Congratulations to the Chevy Bolt EV owners! Did anyone from Tesla Motors see you pass by? There is probably more "Bolt Evy" now from all those who put down their money for a Model 3 reservation. I expect many will cancel that reservation and use that money to buy the Chevy Bolt EV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congratulations to the Chevy Bolt EV owners! Did anyone from Tesla Motors see you pass by? There is probably more "Bolt Evy" now from all those who put down their money for a Model 3 reservation. I expect many will cancel that reservation and use that money to buy the Chevy Bolt EV.
I expect very few(percentage wise...but that could still be a large number) will cancel a Model 3 for the Bolt. Most(of those that I know) are buying into the "Tesla is sooo cool" fantasy. Many have not researched or looked at any EV. They just saw the opportunity to get a Tesla at mass market price.

Anyone who has put down a deposit after 200,000 have no chance to get the full Rebate, so they will be paying more than expected, and many do not realize that.

The timeframe for delivery also has not really phased them since they were just going with the flow.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I expect very few(percentage wise...but that could still be a large number) will cancel a Model 3 for the Bolt. Most(of those that I know) are buying into the "Tesla is sooo cool" fantasy. Many have not researched or looked at any EV. They just saw the opportunity to get a Tesla at mass market price.

Anyone who has put down a deposit after 200,000 have no chance to get the full Rebate, so they will be paying more than expected, and many do not realize that.

The timeframe for delivery also has not really phased them since they were just going with the flow.
I bet as the clock ticks...and ticks and ticks....while those reservation holders wait, and wait, and wait....for the Model 3, a good number will see Bolts driving around and be tempted to drop their reservation and get a Bolt because it's here and now.

Plus those waiting for a true $35k Model 3?

·
Registered
25 Posts
There will be some people who want a 200 mile rated EV, who happened to put down the deposit on the first "offered" one, and will look elsewhere, but many are Tesla or back to Gas powered fancy cars.

A current coworker who drives an Audi was excited he put down the payment for 2 Teslas...but he has little interest in EV cars as a whole.

Another is a Tesla owner, who is looking to have a smaller, around town car to go with his Model S.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

Agreed. I don't think there is a whole lot of "cross shopping" going on between Tesla and Chevy. Teslas have a "Wow" factor. A 21st century future car look. The Bolt does not. It looks like an ordinary, contemporary economy car. Most of your neighbors would never know it's electric unless you tell them.

Basically, Model 3 wanna be buyers are the same people that will stand in a line the night before to get the latest iPhone. Bolt buyers, not so much.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Agreed. I don't think there is a whole lot of "cross shopping" going on between Tesla and Chevy. Teslas have a "Wow" factor. A 21st century future car look. The Bolt does not. It looks like an ordinary, contemporary economy car. Most of your neighbors would never know it's electric unless you tell them.

Basically, Model 3 wanna be buyers are the same people that will stand in a line the night before to get the latest iPhone. Bolt buyers, not so much.
So Tesla's are iPhone, Bolts are Android. I like that comparison. ��
Substance over style. So the Bolt's not a blonde bimbo. Lol

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
But I like the iPhone...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Maybe it is more that Tesla is like Blackberry and the BoltEV is like the iPhone.

We are at about the same place in the EV market as the mobile phone market was when Apple introduced the iPhone. There were many mobile phones, getting "smarter" with each new generation. Blackberry came along, with their own email data service, and quickly became king and a status symbol.

Then an established company, Apple, came along with the iPhone. Blackberry never caught up. Think of the EV1 as the Newton, the SparkEV as the iPod, and the BoltEV as the iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
But I like the iPhone...
Me too, but there is no way I'm standing line to get the latest one. Like everything else I own, I don't get a new one until I get my money's worth out of the old one!! I have never bought the very latest iPhone as soon as it came out. I seem to always end up with the one that's just about to be obsolete.

And that has worked just fine for me so far.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Bolt *is* the latest iPhone, and we are all standing in line...months in advance, and obsessing about it. Haha! You've read the posts about Woz and the Bolt, and how the Bolt convinced Apple not to build a car? Can't wait to use my "old" iPhone 6+ via CarPlay and get an 8 when it comes out!

The Model 3 is aesthetically all over the Bolt, and will take over for the Bolt as the automotive "new iPhone" when it arrives, but it's more like an iPhone 8, or 9 at this point. Vaporware as far as I'm concerned.

I certainly hope that Chevy ups the ante with an AWD Bolt in a few years when my lease is done, or I'll be looking at a Model 3, or whatever Audi & co have dreamed up. I love my VW GTI that the Bolt will replace, but especially in these snowy days, there's no substitute for AWD. And truth be told, I've been spinning my front wheels far too much in the GTI (and that's with Z-rated meats). Will chew through the LRR spinners pretty quickly with the torque on the Bolt, I'm sure. Will have to wait until Spring to find out though, some nice Nokian R2s are waiting patiently for the Bolt to arrive...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered a bolt from Fremont Chevrolet and expect it by the end of the year. Having said that, I'm not canceling my deposit for my Model 3 (with a reservation date of 3/31). I expect them to both be fantastic cars, but I'm ready to buy now and am not willing to wait for the Model 3. I almost bought a Model S, but I didn't like how massive the car was. Plus, with Tesla's history of ... punctuality ... I expect to be turning in my Bolt lease about the same time that my reservation of the Model 3 is ready. I can then make a educated decision about whether to buy another Bolt (or some other next-generation EV), or order the Model 3.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ordered a bolt from Fremont Chevrolet and expect it by the end of the year. Having said that, I'm not canceling my deposit for my Model 3 (with a reservation date of 3/31). I expect them to both be fantastic cars, but I'm ready to buy now and am not willing to wait for the Model 3. I almost bought a Model S, but I didn't like how massive the car was. Plus, with Tesla's history of ... punctuality ... I expect to be turning in my Bolt lease about the same time that my reservation of the Model 3 is ready. I can then make a educated decision about whether to buy another Bolt (or some other next-generation EV), or order the Model 3.
Please keep us posted on what you think of both if there's anything we need more of these days its less input from journalists that know nothing other than the spec sheet :D

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Did you put in an actual order for a custom build to your specs, or are you just reserving a car from those the dealer already ordered and are already in the system?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agreed. I don't think there is a whole lot of "cross shopping" going on between Tesla and Chevy.

The EV market is still so young that I think a lot of weird cross shopping goes on...if I'm any indication, anyhow.

Plus, if we're the early adopters pushing to get a Bolt now instead of waiting around for a Model 3, doesn't that make us the guys camped out to be first through the door of the metaphorical Apple Store? :)

Much like the other commenter, I'm intrigued by the Model 3, but pretty sure I could be most of the way through a 3 year lease on a Bolt before a Model 3 is actually available for me to buy at anywhere near the advertised price. I see the Bolt as its predecessor more than its competitor.

I might not make the switch even then. I happen to really, really love the compact-tall-wagon form factor. Critics can mock its dorky looks all they like, but three years in a Ford C-Max Hybrid have convinced me that potato-shaped cars are best: huge inside, tiny outside, amazing visibility.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The EV market is still so young that I think a lot of weird cross shopping goes on...if I'm any indication, anyhow.

Plus, if we're the early adopters pushing to get a Bolt now instead of waiting around for a Model 3, doesn't that make us the guys camped out to be first through the door of the metaphorical Apple Store? :)

Much like the other commenter, I'm intrigued by the Model 3, but pretty sure I could be most of the way through a 3 year lease on a Bolt before a Model 3 is actually available for me to buy at anywhere near the advertised price. I see the Bolt as its predecessor more than its competitor.

I might not make the switch even then. I happen to really, really love the compact-tall-wagon form factor. Critics can mock its dorky looks all they like, but three years in a Ford C-Max Hybrid have convinced me that potato-shaped cars are best: huge inside, tiny outside, amazing visibility.
All I know is, Tesla put on a little dog and pony show all by itself with a couple of pre-production prototype Model 3s and was able to secure 400,000 $1000 deposits in just a few weeks. Now imagine had Chevrolet done the same thing last year with it's pre-production prototypes, how many $1000 deposits would they have gotten?

Basically the Bolt is all meat and potatoes but no sizzle. It's being offered by a well pedigreed company with a record of achievements, but is in fact part of the dreaded "establishment" we heard so much about this year. The Model 3 is sexy and slick, but likely full of flaws, but it's being offered by the plucky start up that is sticking it's finger in the eye of the establishment. Last years reveal event was actually just an elaborate Kickstarter event more than anything else.

People forked over money to Elon partly because they might want that car, but also because they want him and his enterprises to keep disrupting the establishment. Of course all these people fully believe they can have their $1000 back anytime they want. This may, or may not be true depending on how Tesla's fortune plays out in the future. Like it or not, those depositors are investors in the company and he is spending that deposit money right now.

I briefly thought about giving Elon some deposit money, but I did not. Basically the Model 3 looks great, but it doesn't work for me and it's way too expensive for my taste. I really don't want a hip and cool electric car that bad. The Bolt is a stretch for me too and if it weren't for government incentives, I wouldn't even be typing here now.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts