Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Bolt is inbound and should be here next week. Reading the manual now but wondering (since this is my first EV) what things I should do right away.

Things like setting the max charge?

Please advise on what you'd suggest. Many thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a cheap tire plug kit, inflator, and plyers. Although it appears the self-sealing tires work pretty decently, there are punctures better fixed with a plug kit, and the car doesn't come with a spare tire.
CHECK. On its way. Thanks! Tires are being replaced, so I will need the items.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2020 premier came with an inflator but agree on the plug kit. Lots of argument on max charge. Some say Chevy planned and it's ok to go to 100. I'm newer too but have been doing 90% unless I really think I need more.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Just prepare to have a lot of silent grins. The Bolt is a real stealth bomber.

What is your anticipated daily usage? We were fortunate enough to get a free L2 charger from our local utility, but it turns out we'd have been OK with the OEM L1 charger.

jack vines

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daily usage (once the world is running again) will probably be about 15 miles during the week. Maybe 25 on weekends. I suspect yearly to be in the 3k range.

I've got 4 other cars so hard to put miles on them all. But this will be the primary vehicle for the household now.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Daily usage (once the world is running again) will probably be about 15 miles during the week. Maybe 25 on weekends. I suspect yearly to be in the 3k range.
Better plan on driving more. Because it's so fun to drive and it's cheap to operate.

Charging to something less that 100% so you always have regeneration braking. Otherwise, you'll charge to 100% and be back on the forum asking why your car doesn't always regen. Since you're in MN, you can can get reduced regen if your battery gets too cold. So get in the habit to remote start your vehicle while it's plugged in to warm up the battery.

Since you're no longer stopping at a gas station, you might want to get some windshield cleaning paraphernalia.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

I've got 4 other cars so hard to put miles on them all. But this will be the primary vehicle for the household now.
Then don't bother with an L2 charger. You'll be able to get by just fine with the L1 which comes with the Bolt.

Better plan on driving more. Because it's so fun to drive and it's cheap to operate.
X2 - the battery in our SUV died in the dead of winter because we weren't driving it. The Bolt is the perfect errand runner.

jack vines

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice. Do I need to remote start if its kept in a year round 60 degree garage?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Good advice. Do I need to remote start if its kept in a year round 60 degree garage?
If it's 60F in your garage, it won't matter. But remote start when you're out and about. So nice to get in a car that's been preconditioned. I've done this more with my dogs in the car, but I've remote started the car after shutting it down and locking it. It will run the HVAC for twenty minutes. So when you run a quick errand, the car stays at your temp setting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Tint the windows if you live in a hot climate where some of us do. It's always my 1st thing to do.Then floor liners, which I usually order before delivery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As you run around town, begin to look for L2 charging locations. Typically malls and larger shopping areas, or their parking garages.Grocery stores and near your work, friends, and areas you frequent. With low miles you will find that you may not need to rush into home charging. I lived on area chargers and the garage 110v socket for a month, but eventually got a L2 installed because my Bolt is frequently parked outside and in the winter should be plugged in if sitting any length of time when it is below freezing so the battery can take care of itself.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From the pictures online it looks like the car comes with NO window tint. Is that correct? Many times the rear windows come with a light factory tint.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We just replaced our first 2017 bolt with a 2020. The Bolt is so much better than any ICE vehicle that it's always our first choice over our other (nice) SUV. You will find yourself driving it more than you think because it is so much fun - and so cheap to drive. we had a 220V outlet installed right below our breaker box in the garage and bought a Duosida 16 amp charge cord on-line ($200). It provides 3-4X faster charging than the supplied charger. I leave it plugged into the outlet, with the "car" end hanging on a hook beside the driver's door. When we get home I just grab the plug and plug it in - so simple and so much cheaper than a full 32 amp level two charger. No issue at all for three years. I set the max charge to 92% and plug it in when we get home. We moved from MN to TN 10 years ago and so I know how cold you can have it in winter. When plugged in the Bolt manages battery temp and condition more actively so it would be a good habit to have it plugged in whenever in the garage. And look forward to all the cheap and so much fun drives you will have.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great replies. Looking forward to getting some seat time! Some more questions:

1) Are you setting the max charge via the main screen? Or an app?
2) What are people using the OnStar service for? I mean I know it provides emergency response, just didn't know if there was something else.
3) Does the car come with XM radio? Free trial?

·
Registered
169 Posts
1. Set the "target charge" in the energy screen on the car's infotainment system.

2. OnStar is useless. Don't waste your money.

3. I believe so. I drive 6 miles each way to work, and I listen to NPR, so I never use it, but I believe you get a free trial.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts