Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

First extended drive past my home charger

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  shrox 
#1 ·
We drove from Twin Cities to suburban Chicago last week. To get to the level 3 chargers, using Android Auto, I asked AA for "Level 3 chargers in Eau Claire, WI". It accurately directed us there! End of range anxiety! Spent about 45 minutes charging at an Electrify America spot outside of Walmart.
Next stop was at Tomah, WI, another Walmart, another hour.
Last charge before Chicagoland was in Madison at a Chargepoint at Madixon Gas and Electric....1 hour for free, paid by MG&E.

Return trip was basically the same with a fresh charge at Electrify America in Lake Zurich, IL for a 80% charge before heading home.

All in all, very satisfying! Stops weren't so bad; got to use the restrooms, get food and walk our dog.

Only complaint, gas guzzlers parked in EV charging spots at the Walmart in Eau Claire.

#11 ·
I am glad to see that a non-Tesla Level 3 charging network is being built out. It means that brands other than Tesla are becoming travel-viable, which should serve to drive EV prices down overall.

I own a 2018 Tesla Model S P100D, and there is nowhere in the country I won't take my car. Zero range anxiety due to the excellent Supercharger network.

I just leased my wife a 2020 Bolt Premier (single-pay lease for $5250, 3yr/36k - a **** of a good deal!) and even though it has the DCFC option, it's capped at 55kWh so it takes about an hour to charge up to 80%. We picked it up from the dealer without much charge so we plugged in on the included Level 1 charger overnight and she took it to the EA charger the next day to top off. I picked this up on Amazon and now we can share my Tesla Level 2 Wall Connector so no worries on charging locally anymore.

#12 ·
I am glad to see that a non-Tesla Level 3 charging network is being built out.
Even though I am supportive of our new member(s) as demonstrated in post #3 above, @GregBrew is correct in post #2 that the term L3 has been long deprecated. The official terminology is DCFC Level 2. But as no stations nor EVs have ever implemented DCFC Level 1, it is simply referred to as DCFC. And as @eflyersteve responded in post #6, using deprecated terminology may get you incomplete search results.

As I posted above, first congratulate, then teach. This is the teaching moment.

ga2500ev

#15 ·
Expressing charge rates in terms of level 1, 2, or 3 is still common parlance, actually, and certainly not "long deprecated".

Sure, DCFC is the most common term, but it doesn't roll off the tongue like Level 3.

While you are correct that expressing DCFC as Level 3 is "technically" incorrect, the EV lexicon has indeed adopted that terminology overall, as describing Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 makes more sense to the layperson than Level 1, Level 2, and DCFC. That latter just doesn't flow.

#17 ·
While you are correct that expressing DCFC as Level 3 is "technically" incorrect, the EV lexicon has indeed adopted that terminology overall, as describing Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 makes more sense to the layperson than Level 1, Level 2, and DCFC. That latter just doesn't flow.
The EV community does a great job of confusing the layperson.
  • J1772\Tesla Destination, CHAdeMO\CCS1\CCS2\GBT\Tesla Supercharger
  • L1\L2\L3\DCFC\Supercharger\QuickCharger...
  • kW\kWh
  • watts\kW, amps, volts, EVSE, NEMA plugs
  • Charging network authentication methodology
  • HEV\PHEV\BEV
New EV owners encounter a steep learning curve in the first few months of ownership. Those who have been around a while understand the meaning of the confusing terms, even when used incorrectly. Getting hung up on the technical nuances isn't always helpful, but at the same time ignoring the details perpetuates the confusion. All this to say, the only right and wrong is gently correcting when terms are used incorrectly or out of context vs bashing folks for getting confused.

Reactions: boltco and shrox
#13 ·
As a once hard core Trekker, I do appreciate proper terminology. As an artist, I don't care if someone refers to a render of a 3d model as "photoshopped", it's understood what they mean.

As to DCFC, it would be kind of neat to see a wind turbine towering over a charging site surrounded by an array of solar panels that double as shade and rain shelter. A bunch a batteries onsite as well. I'd stop.

#14 ·
.... Spent about 45 minutes charging at an Electrify America spot outside of Walmart.
Next stop was at Tomah, WI, another Walmart, another hour.
All in all, very satisfying! Stops weren't so bad; got to use the restrooms, get food and walk our dog.
You brought the dog! What a lucky dog! I'm sure it loves EV road trips because of the frequent breaks!

We found the comfortable setup on our long road trip home from buying the car in LA was, after the potty break, we meet up in the garden department of the Wally's.
Sometimes it's outside but covered and sometimes with fans.

That's me over there with my feet up, leaned back in that chaise, listening to my phone, eyes closed!
Sometimes getting a whiff of the garden products, but, there are less 'People of Walmart' when you do it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.