Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been driving our 2017 Premier to work since May. Today we woke to the first frost heavy enough to need scraping.

I cleaned the windshield then decided to try the "preconditioning" discussed elsewhere. I probably worsened the problem by sitting in the car and trying to treat it like I would an ICE (start it and crank the blower and temperature on high) but having read it should be plugged in first, some of the environmental controls seemed to be greyed out.

Bottom line: the air being blown on the windshield never got warm. If it's resistive heat I would have thought it would at least feel warm. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, and don't know what to expect when it's really cold (it's only -1 C this morning, about 30 F; usual winter temperature will be closer to -10 to -20 C).

For the time being indoor parking is not an option. I was glad we still have an ICE SUV or my wife would have been even later for work. Thanks for any insight or advice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The resistive heating might have been preferentially heating the battery first - this could explain the greyed out buttons.

In this situation I'd keep it plugged in overnight, then do the remote preconditioning.

If you sit in it, then it's all based on the cabin temp you have set - what did you have? You can temporarily crank it up. I'd turn it on automatic, and also turn on the windshield heaters and the windshield air focus on the HVAC (the button that sends the air towards the windshield).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The resistive heating might have been preferentially heating the battery first - this could explain the greyed out buttons.

In this situation I'd keep it plugged in overnight, then do the remote preconditioning.

If you sit in it, then it's all based on the cabin temp you have set - what did you have? You can temporarily crank it up. I'd turn it on automatic, and also turn on the windshield heaters and the windshield air focus on the HVAC (the button that sends the air towards the windshield).
I think I have to take a dose of "mea culpa" on this one: after posting, I went back out and pre-heated the way I should have in the first place, ie plugging in the car, then using the remote to "start" it. Within a few seconds the heater cranked itself onto high, and I could see the windshield starting to clear.

The next time, I'll have more faith... ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah I found the preheating works well, as does all of the automatic climate control settings. You probably defeated the preconditioning by sitting in the car. I've used it when not plugged in and it works equally well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The Volt has the same remote start/preconditioning system as the Bolt has, over the two years I owned the Volt I found it much nicer to use vs. going outside and scraping 1/4" of solid ice off the glass surfaces.

For better results upon arriving at home after work- just before shutting the car off, I used to crank the heat to 80 and put the blower on high.
The remote start will use those setting for the climate control the next morning on remote start vs. defaults based on outdoor temp.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It was a frigid 59F this morning when I climbed into my garaged Bolt. It started as usual, and I backed out of the garage and headed to work. To stave off potential frost bite, I set the seat heaters on medium and flipped on the steering wheel warmer.

Just a Florida Bolt owner having fun with you Northerners. You can laugh at me in the dead of summer when my car is 110F in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ that snowstorm happened overnight on Feb 8th 2013.... I had the Plug-in-Prius back then.... it was white!

I'm not kidding when I tell you that if I didn't know exactly where I had parked it in the driveway the evening before I wouldn't have known where it was after the storm. In total we got about 36" of snowfall, but that area of the driveway had 5-6' drifts from house roof snow which completely covered the white PIP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts