Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have had my Bolt six weeks now, but today was the first time charging it to 100%.

Had to meet a family member in the adjoining state and wanted to start with a full charge as this would be my longest driving day since becoming a Bolt owner.

What a dream to drive. Drove a total of 147 miles today and still had 67 miles showing on the Guess O' Meter (GOM). Around 50 miles was at 75 mph and had some light rain too. First time I've driven it that fast. Did some passing well over eighty a couple times. Love the ability to just accelerate out of traffic situations.

Also the one 60 mile leg of the trip had a 1,500 ft mountain pass. My old ICE van would down shift and make a lot of noise going up that pass. Not the Bolt. It climbs that puppy without a sound. Going down the pass was the first time I've actually done it at the speed limit. In an old ICE you would gain lots of speed and wince ever time trying to not use the brakes too much. The Bolt, in 'L' mode, you just go the speed limit and watch it regen and charge the battery. Love it. What a nice feeling that is. About three cars screamed passed me because they didn't want to use their brakes. I remember those days!

After reaching my destination, I looked at the histogram plot. What a mess. Useless as @stanwagon mentioned on a previous post. One bar was maxed at 252 because of the regen down the mountain. Average was totally bogus and all the other bars looked close to zero with the one at 252.

The return leg, the histogram plot looked much better when the mountain pass data finally got purged.

Going down in the rain, initially put the screen in low power mode and turned off the heating and cooling. The car did so well that when I headed home, I had the heat on, charging my phone, blasting the radio, driving 75 mph, and didn't have a worry.

Got home and the wife and I still made another trip into town. Second of the day. Plugged in this evening and will have it nearly recharged by morning. Ready for another day.

edit: Energy Detail since last charge, Driving and Accessories 91%, Climate Settings 9%, Battery Conditioning 0%. Energy Used: 42.2 kWh, Distance Traveled 147.0 mi.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
My old ICE van would down shift and make a lot of noise going up that pass. Not the Bolt. It climbs that puppy without a sound.
It's great, isn't it? The only indication you have that you're going up a hill is that you have to depress the accelerator pedal a little more. The Bolt just glides up grades without a care in the world, as if to say "Hill? What hill?".

This morning I took my ICE van out for a spin for the first time in a couple of months and it startled me a bit when it had to downshift going up a grade. Yes, I'm getting spoiled, and I love it!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Still no answer here from GM engineers who are investigating my issue. The more I think about it of course, the more annoying it is. With a scale from 0 to 252, the chart is useless. As noted elsewhere, the best way to specify a number is by showing the number (as Tesla does) not by an illegible red line. And then of course we have the story that, right now, the number will be totally wrong (by a lot).

Fortunately, there are many ways to get the number we want (or close).

You can reset that bar chart at will. I have taken to doing it at the bottom of my hill, and looking at it at same place before climbing up.
You can switch to metric and see the correct average red line (remember: 4 mi/kwh = 15.5 kWh/100 km
You can look at the DETAIL screen and see how you are doing against 4, or 3.5, or whatever. But this screen is annoying me now too, because the initial 0.7 kwH I generate after a full charge (or a full Hilltop Reserve charge) is not being taken into account, so I have to subtract 0.7 kwH from the declared amt. (same applies to the bar chart).

Indeed, the big picture number on my trip odometer (which I will never reset) is, I think, also suffering from not including the full-charge-0.7-kWh alluded to above. I can't easily be certain of this, but it is a good guess given how everything else behaves on this matter. I guess if I reset it after a full-charge I could figure it out.

On a brighter note, a friend wired in my new Clipper Creek charger and that will allow a little more flexibility compared to the long waits on 110 Volts.

My wife called me today from the grocery. "I locked keys in Boltie and cannot get in." I had disabled the warning. But I had tested it. I told her to try the front door handle again. "MY HERO."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts