Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not long by others standards. But my first "outing" with the Bolt of any distance (I have 1500 miles on the odometer). Outer Cape Cod to Boston and return. 204 mile round trip. Began with 292 miles on the GOM (yes, I know, the GOM is basically anecdotal info!), ended with 84.

I realize that range is a function of many things. And today was a perfect day for a Bolt ride; great mild weather (mid 60s to low 80s), no rain, no wind. The roads I used were not ones where speed was either lawful or even possible (Route 6, Route 3, 93) --most of the time. Mid 50 mph to an occasional run up to around 68 or so.

On the way home I did crank up the AC. Still had plenty of reserve miles left.

None the less, the fact that nearly 300 miles is doable in the Bolt is not to be sneezed at!

Rich

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK, not long by others standards. But my first "outing" with the Bolt of any distance (I have 1500 miles on the odometer). Outer Cape Cod to Boston and return. 204 mile round trip. Began with 292 miles on the GOM (yes, I know, the GOM is basically anecdotal info!), ended with 84.

I realize that range is a function of many things. And today was a perfect day for a Bolt ride; great mild weather (mid 60s to low 80s), no rain, no wind. The roads I used were not ones where speed was either lawful or even possible (Route 6, Route 3, 93) --most of the time. Mid 50 mph to an occasional run up to around 68 or so.

On the way home I did crank up the AC. Still had plenty of reserve miles left.

None the less, the fact that nearly 300 miles is doable in the Bolt is not to be sneezed at!

Rich

Just this week I've finally started seeing range over 200 miles on the GOM. This happened only after swapping back to the stock LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires which I had swapped over to the lightweight Cruze wheels. I saw a 10% increase in range after 2 days of driving my normal highway commute. Weather here (Michigan) has been windy and high 60s to mid 70s (cool for us, should be 80s now).

My guess is with my highway commute I'm not going to see over 3.0 mi/kW. I can see 6+ mi/kW every now and then if I'm just driving around town (45 mph max), but hitting the highway at 70/75 MPH speed limits doesn't do me any favors is getting to 250 miles of range.

My "long" trips will start this fall for football... with a required round trip of 212 miles of 95% highway driving. There's a single DCFC on my route that I could hit on the way home when the range will be low enough to use it. It's at a dealership... which indicates 24/7 access, but it's not a high power DCFC, instead the typical 25 kW charger. I'm hoping a 30-45 min. stop there gets my home, and that the charger is up and running, and wasn't blocked since it would be after hours on a Saturday when I go to use it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just this week I've finally started seeing range over 200 miles on the GOM. This happened only after swapping back to the stock LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires which I had swapped over to the lightweight Cruze wheels. I saw a 10% increase in range after 2 days of driving my normal highway commute. Weather here (Michigan) has been windy and high 60s to mid 70s (cool for us, should be 80s now).

My guess is with my highway commute I'm not going to see over 3.0 mi/kW. I can see 6+ mi/kW every now and then if I'm just driving around town (45 mph max), but hitting the highway at 70/75 MPH speed limits doesn't do me any favors is getting to 250 miles of range.

My "long" trips will start this fall for football... with a required round trip of 212 miles of 95% highway driving. There's a single DCFC on my route that I could hit on the way home when the range will be low enough to use it. It's at a dealership... which indicates 24/7 access, but it's not a high power DCFC, instead the typical 25 kW charger. I'm hoping a 30-45 min. stop there gets my home, and that the charger is up and running, and wasn't blocked since it would be after hours on a Saturday when I go to use it.
Is there a difference in wheel size? Remember that affects your speedometer and mileage. If exactly the same, never mind.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Weather here (Michigan) has been windy and high 60s to mid 70s (cool for us, should be 80s now).
Weather here in Tucson, AZ is now summer - so it is starting to get warm. >:) Yesterday a temp of 103. See attached jpg. Still got about 4.5 mi/kWh. That is with 19% for Climate Conditioning and 2% for Battery Conditioning. At one point I saw 4% for Battery Conditioning. When I have you Michigan temps, I usually get about the same 4.5 mi./kWh. I wonder if it excludes the energy for conditioning when it calculates the mi./kWh? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weather here in Tucson, AZ is now summer - so it is starting to get warm. >:) Yesterday a temp of 103. See attached jpg. Still got about 4.5 mi/kWh. That is with 19% for Climate Conditioning and 2% for Battery Conditioning. At one point I saw 4% for Battery Conditioning. When I have you Michigan temps, I usually get about the same 4.5 mi./kWh. I wonder if it excludes the energy for conditioning when it calculates the mi./kWh? :confused:
I can only guess that your average speed is far less than mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am getting ready to take the Bolt to Las Vegas from North San Diego this Sunday. I've had the Bolt for about 6 months and 8,000 miles and this will be the first time I have to rely on DCFC charging. I tested out EVGO charging station last week and have my route planned with one stop in Victorville and another in Baker for about 30 minutes at each spot. We are staying at Caesars and they have free charging. My only worry is if the chargers are being used causing us to wait longer. Will see!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can only guess that your average speed is far less than mine.
My driving is mostly in town with some freeway at 65 mph. Typical speed is 40 to 45 mph with a lot of traffic lights. The re-gen really helps with the stop and go. FYI, yesterday it hit 107 with about the same miles per kWh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts