Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I decided to take in a show in San Diego on Saturday and figured we may as well spend the night out there. I had a full charge (showing 239 miles, but went down with pre condition). We set off with 233 on the gauge. No heater all the way down. I drove somewhat conservatively and kept an average speed of 73mph. The distance to the hotel was 122 miles. We arrived with 112 miles showing on the gauge. Downtown SD had a few chargers scattered, but some were in parking structures that were closed on the weekend, and others were just flat expensive (ex. $10 plus parking fees to charge for 4 hours on a level 2). I decided not to charge and plotted out some fast chargers along the route and left very early. On the way home, I set my cruise ctrl at 67-69mph. I was able to make it to Irvine, which is when my batt turned red and said I needed to charge soon. I made it to a shopping center in Irvine with 21 miles on tap. Plugged in for 1 hour (at 18kw) while getting a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich. Hopped in the car with 83 miles and was on my merry way (72mph avg). I got home with 39 miles to spare. I have never been on this long of a trip, and my wife was a little cautious as well, since she is used to just dumping gas in something and going for a while. All in all, it was a good trip and a great test of where I can and cannot take my car. I just wish the hotels in SD got with it and started installing more EV chargers (some do, but not where we stayed) for long distance drivers. That, or make charging a little more affordable. $15+ to charge for 4 hours is pretty steep.

Just wanted to share my experience. Have a great one, all!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad to hear you made the long trip okay. I am curious, though, how many miles the 4 hour charge might have gotten you for $10.00, and comparing that to an average ICE car's mileage at the going rate for dollars/gallon.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you spent the night - did you stay at a hotel? Was there a reason you didn't choose a hotel with EV charging available? (Or choose one next to/near free/inexpensive overnight L2 charging?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bolt Action!

Well, it would have been a flat $10 just for 4 hours of charge, then there was the parking fee for those four hours on top of that. One of the check-ins for this location said it cost $30 for the charge and the parking fee for the day (no overnight parking). On an L2, I get about 20 mph of charge, so I would have got 80 miles for say $20 ($10 for the charge and $10 for parking fees) if I had moved my car after the 4hr limit. That is a little steep ($5 for every 20 miles).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you spent the night - did you stay at a hotel? Was there a reason you didn't choose a hotel with EV charging available? (Or choose one next to/near free/inexpensive overnight L2 charging?)
Hi SparkE.

The original plan was to drive our ICE and I had booked this hotel about a month ago (no cancellations w/out penalty and no EV chargers). It was a last minute decision to take the BOLT. I had to make sure my wife was ok with taking a bit longer to get home if we had to stop to charge for a while. The nearest hotel with chargers cost $49 for overnight parking plus the Blink fee of $2/hr. The nightly rate at this hotel is a bit higher than others in the area as well. My goal was to keep costs lower than driving ICE and test the EV charging infrastructure to see how feasible it was for me to travel longer distances with it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Gotta walk before you can run! You must be North of me (I'm in HB). San Diego is very doable on one charge for me (190 mi r.t.), if we don't drive around too much while there. My "adventure" goal is Paso Robles. We go there for wine-tasting three or four times a year. Practically zip on chargers on the 5 between here and there. There are more, if you want to take the much slower 101. Two EV-Go CCS DCQC at a Mal Wart in Bakersfield are a possibility for the inland route. They're pricey, though. Now, if I can just get the EV-Go website to recognize the sign-up for anything other than their monthly subscription...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotta walk before you can run! You must be North of me (I'm in HB). San Diego is very doable on one charge for me (190 mi r.t.), if we don't drive around too much while there. My "adventure" goal is Paso Robles. We go there for wine-tasting three or four times a year. Practically zip on chargers on the 5 between here and there. There are more, if you want to take the much slower 101. Two EV-Go CCS DCQC at a Mal Wart in Bakersfield are a possibility for the inland route. They're pricey, though. Now, if I can just get the EV-Go website to recognize the sign-up for anything other than their monthly subscription...
Yep... I'm in the South Pasadena area. Paso would be awesome. Yeah, EVGo is a bit pricey. It's not so bad on the monthly plan, but I don't travel enough to justify that. Paso one way may be doable for me via the 101 (on one charge), but I would have to keep it down to 65. Even then, it would be cutting it close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts