Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Last summer I was seeing over 310mi (500km) range on the GOM from time to time.
Tires were sometimes at 44PSI due to high outdoor temps and rolling heat buildup.

The Bolt loves warm temps :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Challenge

There is a challenge here. What is the best way to obtain a high efficiency number? Drive to the top of a nice high mountain, and just regen all the way down? Other methods other than hypermiling? Photograph of the dash required at the bottom as proof...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice! At what temperature (high) did you notice a decrease in performance? Just wondering what the sweet spot is in terms of ambient temperature.
Depends on your tolerance for heat. Here in Florida, I find that I need to turn on the A/C when it gets above 80F. That can knock off about half a mile per kWh. When the temps are around 75F I can average 5+mi/kWh for city driving.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
There is a challenge here. What is the best way to obtain a high efficiency number? Drive to the top of a nice high mountain, and just regen all the way down? Other methods other than hypermiling? Photograph of the dash required at the bottom as proof...
Here's one screen shot I took last year where I caught part of the way down the mountain pass followed by 75 mph highway. Go from nearly 12 mi/kWh to a little below 3. Then increases for the 65 mph section of highway. Then I'm back into town. Probably the best shot any only time I've ever looked at the histogram plot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,262 Posts
Nice! At what temperature (high) did you notice a decrease in performance? Just wondering what the sweet spot is in terms of ambient temperature.

I posted about this in the past, but can't remember in what thread ... on the same stretch, at the same speed @ 70F I got 20% or so better mileage than @50F (quoting from memory).

The goldilocks ambient for the battery is probably 60 to 90F.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I've always had the best range at 85F or higher... if it's not humid 85F is quite pleasant, no AC required... and range just shoots up at those temps.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
I've always had the best range at 85F or higher... if it's not humid 85F is quite pleasant, no AC required... and range just shoots up at those temps.

We drove Huntington, WV to Lexington, VA (226 miles) on a single charge last summer when it was above 80F. We used either fan only, or A/C at a setting of 74F. We made it with miles to spare. (We also drove @ 60 mph on the Interstate. We traded time for anxiety and were rewarded.)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Also, did everyone realize that km/kWh is the same as meter/watt*hour?
As an EE, I did because you are just reducing the "kilo" factor" (one thousand). But did you know that there is a correct term for energy? It is the "Joule" and one joule is equal to one watt-second. So a watt-hour is 3.6 kJ (3,600 joules). But a "joule" is such a small unit, and few postings or articles ever use it.

You may see "joules" or "J" in spike suppressors, and mentioned with heart defibrillators. So if you want to impress your friends about the Chevy Bolt EV energy capacity or usage, convert it to "joules". One kWh is 3.6 Mj (mega-joule). The number will seem "larger"!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
First time I see this. I was surprised since I did not expect it.
Same here. It's amazing how just seeing such high numbers puts a smile on your face.

"Smiles for miles" as someone had put long before my time.

EDIT: Forgot, you use the superior metric system. Is there a saying for kilometers?

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same here. It's amazing how just seeing such high numbers puts a smile on your face.

"Smiles for miles" as someone had put long before my time.

EDIT: Forgot, you use the superior metric system. Is there a saying for kilometers?
We kind of use both. Smiles for miles is just fine ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts