Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premium - Metallic Grey
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a state park and back in a day. It was around 5 hours total of driving (includes driving around the park)
Total trip was estimated at 260 miles but came in around 250.

based on past usage (4.0 mi/kWh) I thought I was definitely going to have the charge. So I stopped at a restaurant for an hour and charged while we ate. (To build a buffer)

Was pleasantly surprised to find out that after going 60mph max on all highways and going down some rolling hills the entire trip has an efficiency of 5.0 mi/kWh. So I still had 50-60 miles left of capacity!!!

This was a huge surprise and now allows me to honestly tell people that my car has a 300 mile range. (you just have to drive below the speed limit and find some nice rolling hills)

either way!! What an impressive car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
60 mph max? Please tell me that the speed limit was 45 and the entire interstate and freeway system had closed. You went 250 miles at 60 mph, am I getting that right? Of course, nothing at all wrong with that, to the old and feeble (over 70), that seems like it's 120 and you might be that guy that just drives at that speed on long trips which is awesome. Just curious if you chose to drive 60 because you always drove that speed even when you were young and had a combustion based vehicle or if you drove it to conserve range and if so, did you calculate what your experience would have been if you drove 85 and charged a little longer? Would you have saved time, or would it have been a wash?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
60 mph max? Please tell me that the speed limit was 45 and the entire interstate and freeway system had closed. You went 250 miles at 60 mph, am I getting that right? Of course, nothing at all wrong with that, to the old and feeble (over 70), that seems like it's 120 and you might be that guy that just drives at that speed on long trips which is awesome. Just curious if you chose to drive 60 because you always drove that speed even when you were young and had a combustion based vehicle or if you drove it to conserve range and if so, did you calculate what your experience would have been if you drove 85 and charged a little longer? Would you have saved time, or would it have been a wash?
Well only about half the trip was on the interstate (speed limit of 70). The rest of the trip had a speed limit of 45-55 (smaller highways).
The reason I drove at 60 on the highway was mostly due to efficiency. Because I didn’t want to charge at all. But the estimated distance was 260mi so I didn’t have a huge buffer.

haha but next time I should do the math. I didn’t mind taking a little longer and honestly it was probably about 10 minutes longer due to my coasting at lower speeds.

To answer your question about going 85 to save time... I always sped when I drove an ICE and tbh on two hour trips I might shave 2-5 minutes off by speeding the whole way. So with an EV I think speeding would have greatly reduced my range aaannndd I would have only saved 2-5 minutes so I’ll chop it up to a wash.

good comment though.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well only about half the trip was on the interstate (speed limit of 70). The rest of the trip had a speed limit of 45-55 (smaller highways).
The reason I drove at 60 on the highway was mostly due to efficiency. Because I didn’t want to charge at all. But the estimated distance was 260mi so I didn’t have a huge buffer.

haha but next time I should do the math. I didn’t mind taking a little longer and honestly it was probably about 10 minutes longer due to my coasting at lower speeds.

To answer your question about going 85 to save time... I always sped when I drove an ICE and tbh on two hour trips I might shave 2-5 minutes off by speeding the whole way. So with an EV I think speeding would have greatly reduced my range aaannndd I would have only saved 2-5 minutes so I’ll chop it up to a wash.

good comment though.
If about half the journey was that 70 mph freeway, let's estimate 120 miles, the extra 10mph to bring you to the posted limit would have saved you 17 minutes off your moving portion of the journey. The million dollar question is your electron burn rate would have increased and as such, would you need more or less than 17 minutes extra charge time to make up for it. I have no idea. I would have driven that stretch at 85, which would put me 35 minutes ahead of you. If I got lucky, I'd draft a semi if it was moving at 80. I wonder what my added charge time/penalty would be to complete the trip. Again, I have no idea. And, do I want to spend that time in the car driving while the world blows my doors off or in Walmart buying stuff I don't need..... hmmmm. I'm all for saving efficiency and it's great that the added hours of your journey worked for you. Half that journey at 10 under definitely increased your range with no loss for you, it worked and therefore a success.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If about half the journey was that 70 mph freeway, let's estimate 120 miles, the extra 10mph to bring you to the posted limit would have saved you 17 minutes off your moving portion of the journey. The million dollar question is your electron burn rate would have increased and as such, would you need more or less than 17 minutes extra charge time to make up for it. I have no idea. I would have driven that stretch at 85, which would put me 35 minutes ahead of you. If I got lucky, I'd draft a semi if it was moving at 80. I wonder what my added charge time/penalty would be to complete the trip. Again, I have no idea. And, do I want to spend that time in the car driving while the world blows my doors off or in Walmart buying stuff I don't need..... hmmmm. I'm all for saving efficiency and it's great that the added hours of your journey worked for you. Half that journey at 10 under definitely increased your range with no loss for you, it worked and therefore a success.
Since he charged for an hour at a restaurant and looking at his GOM, efficiency for the trip, and miles traveled it looks like he gained 10 miles from charging I am assuming it was a low powered (15 amp) L2 charger and he actually charged for a bit less than an hour (around 40 min). This is the only situation where slower is faster, I doubt driving 85 would have saved him time even if high power L2 charging was available, let alone low power L2.

On the flip side, since he was going to charge while eating anyway he could have probably gotten away with doing the speed limit by extending the meal stop a bit.

Keith

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a nice drive. Glad it went well
These are important questions!!!! The future of EV will be debating range over speed (with charge time as the relationship) for years to come!!

thank you for your insightful comments. I will be pondering this at work tomorrow.

for the record, how does the solution change when you compare level 1, 2 and 3 charging?

obviously level 1 = save your range
But where is the optimal trade off with level 2 and 3.... oh and it depends on the trip length.

okay my brain hurts bye

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Since he charged for an hour at a restaurant and looking at his GOM, efficiency for the trip, and miles traveled it looks like he gained 10 miles from charging I am assuming it was a low powered (15 amp) L2 charger and he actually charged for a bit less than an hour (around 40 min). This is the only situation where slower is faster, I doubt driving 85 would have saved him time even if high power L2 charging was available, let alone low power L2.

On the flip side, since he was going to charge while eating anyway he could have probably gotten away with doing the speed limit by extending the meal stop a bit.

Keith
I'm trying to follow and not always sure I 'grasp' it all. Since wind speed, direction and elevation changes are obviously huge factors .... but if we remove them from the equation I wonder what the cost in efficiency driving speed limit +13 (as an example) has on the charging and ultimately the trip time versus speed limit - 5 (as another hypothetical example).

If I drove 150 miles at 60 MPH it would take me 2 hours 30 minutes. If I drove that same distance at 70 MPH it would take 2 hours and 8 minutes. If I drove it at 80 MPH, 1 hour and 52 minutes, or about 38 minutes less than the original number. So, I wonder what the electron burn difference is? And, at my 150 MPH stop, how much longer would I have to DCFC to get to 80% than if I rolled it 38 minutes later having driven at 60 MPH? Did I come out ahead? I'm just not smart enough to figure this out on my own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Keith
True. If I knew I was stopping for food I would have been fine to go the full speed limit or higher...

·
Registered
715 Posts
I disagree with drive faster crowd for most 250 mile trips. Much nicer not to have to charge at all (cheaper too). Unless you're unusually lucky, you'll waste a minimum of 15 minutes at the DCFC.

Also, 85MPH? Where I live that's an excellent way to rack up expensive driving tickets. You can get away with 10 over the limit. Maybe 15 if you're lucky, But consistently going 20 over the limit on the interstate is going to get the attention of the cops sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disagree with drive faster crowd for most 250 mile trips. Much nicer not to have to charge at all (cheaper too). Unless you're unusually lucky, you'll waste a minimum of 15 minutes at the DCFC.

Also, 85MPH? Where I live that's an excellent way to rack up expensive driving tickets. You can get away with 10 over the limit. Maybe 15 if you're lucky, But consistently going 20 over the limit on the interstate is going to get the attention of the cops sooner rather than later.
You get me. Plus DCFC is expensive compared to level 2.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm going to say it. Driving 10 mph under the speed limit on the highway is dangerous. Dangerous for you. Dangerous for others. Unless, perhaps this was a remote area far from any metro area.

·
Registered
723 Posts
For a long trip with 2-3+ charging stops, it's almost always more efficient, time wise, to drive "fast" and run your battery down as low as you dare. Then DCFC to around 60% or so. The charge rate really drops off after that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm going to say it. Driving 10 mph under the speed limit on the highway is dangerous. Dangerous for you. Dangerous for others. Unless, perhaps this was a remote area far from any metro area.
Is it more dangerous because he's going 10 under or because someone is driving 85 coming up on him and isnt able to react in time?

·
Registered
429 Posts
OT, I did a little "test" in my 2019 Bolt (with the software charging update). Here's what I found (EA site, 150kWh charger):

60% = 38kW
65% = 38kW
70% = 23kW
75% = 23kW
80% = 24kW
82% = 24kW
85% = 16kW

Rich
I usually unplug as soon as it either hits the 38kw taper or if i need the extra juice for peace of mind on a longer stretch or a location without redundancy, then then 24kw taper.
Unless I'm relaxing and having dinner or taking a nap then i dont care how long it takes. :)
I'm just relieved the southeast is starting to get better coverage. I really enjoy driving the Bolt for any trips under 500 miles. (3,000 miles might be a bit much though ;-) ; of course if one has the mindset that it is the journey and not the destination, then who cares)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you. I hate it when people are driving slower than everyone else on the highway. However, I stayed in the far right lane and it was a rural stretch of interstate between small towns outside of the metro.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OT, I did a little "test" in my 2019 Bolt (with the software charging update). Here's what I found (EA site, 150kWh charger):

60% = 38kW
65% = 38kW
70% = 23kW
75% = 23kW
80% = 24kW
82% = 24kW
85% = 16kW

Rich
Is it higher under 60%? Say like closer to the expected 50kW charging speed?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'm trying to follow and not always sure I 'grasp' it all. Since wind speed, direction and elevation changes are obviously huge factors .... but if we remove them from the equation I wonder what the cost in efficiency driving speed limit +13 (as an example) has on the charging and ultimately the trip time versus speed limit - 5 (as another hypothetical example).

If I drove 150 miles at 60 MPH it would take me 2 hours 30 minutes. If I drove that same distance at 70 MPH it would take 2 hours and 8 minutes. If I drove it at 80 MPH, 1 hour and 52 minutes, or about 38 minutes less than the original number. So, I wonder what the electron burn difference is? And, at my 150 MPH stop, how much longer would I have to DCFC to get to 80% than if I rolled it 38 minutes later having driven at 60 MPH? Did I come out ahead? I'm just not smart enough to figure this out on my own.
For a 150 mile trip, it wouldn't matter because none of those speeds would require a charging stop in the Bolt EV unless other, outside factors came into play. In simple terms, though, yes, the time saved by going faster does outweigh the time spent charging. So the faster you drive, the faster you'll get to your destination. Unless you get stopped for a speeding ticket, which usually offsets any gains you might have seen.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts