Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I returned home from my first long road trip in my 2020 Bolt. I went to Penn Yan, NY from Charleston, WV to visit my son. Distance was about 525 miles one way, and we drove about another 500 miles around the finger lakes region visiting wineries, etc., so just a bit over 1500 miles total. It was a pleasant experience that included a mix of DC fast charging using Chargepoint and EA stations and Level-2 charging at a Chargepoint station located at the library in Penn Yan near the hotel I was staying at for overnight top offs. No issues other than an interruped charging session at an EA station in Cambridge, OH on the return trip that I just restarted. Not sure what the issue was there. So the two 525 miles legs (up and back) I did straight through. I found the Bolt to be efficient and comfortable. I never once thought about the seats, so I think Chevy responded to the complaints about the seats in the 2017 Bolt. I just put it in cruise control at about 65 mph for most of the trip and it just hummed along. I was a bit frustrated with Android Auto on the trip up becuase it kept dropping the map display and I couldn't get podcasts to play. A call to my son rectified this problem when he told me to turn off wifi to restore access to the 4G cell network. There were several times people stopped to ask about the car (no doubt due to my licence plate holder that says "It's Electric, No Gas Needed"). One was a postal employee who stopped while I was charging to learn about the Bolt and the other was two young guys staying at my hotel. They were from Russia but lived in the US and were in Penn Yan workng on cell towers. In both cases, they were amazed at the range of the Bolt. I hink that 99% of the public still perceives EVs as having limited range. All-in-all, a great experience and I have no qualms about doing other long trips.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! Here's to many more in the future.

My first trip was both exciting and nerve wracking. I did a nice long write-up on it back in the day. I've been travelling with my Bolt so much now that I no longer write anything up. It just becomes normal.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yeah, for whatever reason, Wi-Fi affects Android Auto's ability to locate the car. It can be frustrating if you're already on the road and driving before you realize it.

It sounds like you drive at a bit slower, relaxed pace than I usually do on longer trips, so your time spent charging is a bit less than I would spend on a slightly shorter route of just under 500 miles.

I definitely agree that Chevy addressed the thin padding issue with the seats. No seats are going to be to the liking of 100% of the population, but between the thin cushioning in the early Bolt EV and narrow overall seat design, a few too many people were turned off by the seats.

Also, only a guess here, but GM had also addressed the charging socket issue for the 2020 Chevy Bolt EV that I reviewed, so even the heavy, liquid-cooled cables on Electrify America chargers will activate without the need to support the charging handle (like I must do with my 2017). Still, the cables are heavy, and if they are slightly out of position, they might cause a communication issue, which could have been what you encountered with the session that quit.

Overall, though, as I've been saying, the Bolt EV is a great road trip car. It's not going to win any cannonball run records, but it's completely capable of long journeys with only minor adjustments from what you'd need to do in an ICE car (and some of those adjustments are positive, such as refueling overnight).

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's quite good. 525 miles / 4.2 miles per kWh = 125kWh. Assuming you started full and arrived with ~10%, that's ~65kWh of charging in 1h30 or an average of 43.3kW.

I wish I could get 4.2 miles per kWh at 65mph...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip. I've heard a lot of complaints from people who either live in WVa or have to drive through because it's a DCFC charging desert. Sounds like you didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you had a great trip. I've heard a lot of complaints from people who either live in WVa or have to drive through because it's a DCFC charging desert. Sounds like you didn't have any problems.
Yes, unfortuneately, WV has no DC fast chargers. Luckily, there are several not far from the border with Ohio on I77. The WV chapter of the Electric Auto Association is doing a survey to find out the location preferences of EV drivers who would like to travel to or through WV. This information will be provided to EA and other provviders to try to get one or more stations installed. Logical locations would be on the north/south arteries and include Charleston (the capital) and Beckley to the south.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
That's quite good. 525 miles / 4.2 miles per kWh = 125kWh. Assuming you started full and arrived with ~10%, that's ~65kWh of charging in 1h30 or an average of 43.3kW.

I wish I could get 4.2 miles per kWh at 65mph...
It sounds like 65 mph was the peak driving speed, which means the average driving speed was was probably about 10 mph less than that. When I drove to Las Vegas and back parallel with Alex Venz's Model 3, our average driving speed was 60 mph despite driving 75 mph for a lot of the route, and I got 3.7 mi/kWh over those 600+ miles. When I drove the 2020 Bolt EV 621 miles in under 12 hours (average driving speed of 68 mph despite having a peak driving speed of 75 to 80 mph for two thirds of the route), my efficiency was about 3.4 mi/kWh.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My yesterday trip done at a speed of 110 km/h (68 mph) ended with 16.6 kWh/100 km which is about 3.7 miles/kWh. I keep my tires at 41 PSI cold all year round. Made one charge of 45 mins (31.8 kWh added).

·
Registered
94 Posts
It sounds like 65 mph was the peak driving speed, which means the average driving speed was was probably about 10 mph less than that. When I drove to Las Vegas and back parallel with Alex Venz's Model 3, our average driving speed was 60 mph despite driving 75 mph for a lot of the route, and I got 3.7 mi/kWh over those 600+ miles. When I drove the 2020 Bolt EV 621 miles in under 12 hours (average driving speed of 68 mph despite having a peak driving speed of 75 to 80 mph for two thirds of the route), my efficiency was about 3.4 mi/kWh.
You should also note that in the trip with the 2020 Bolt EV you had the tires at 38 and you didn’t have the wheels you have on your 2017 Bolt EV. So yeah, the difference between the two is normal under such conditions.

I am a follower of your YouTube channel and it was you who made me change my Volt for the Bolt EV !

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You should also note that in the trip with the 2020 Bolt EV you had the tires at 38 and you didn’t have the wheels you have on your 2017 Bolt EV. So yeah, the difference between the two is normal under such conditions.

I am a follower of your YouTube channel and it was you who made me change my Volt for the Bolt EV !
Thanks! Yes, there were a number of factors that are different between models. I also dropped my PSI to 38 when I was doing the 75 mph test with Bjorn Nyland, Alex Venz, et al. I have a suspicion that that some of those other cars weren't running at the base tire pressure, but I had no interest in calling people out. In the Bolt EV, I definitely noticed a difference over the efficiency I would normally see when running the tires at placard recommended pressure.

Overall, though, I think looking across all Bolt EVs, we need to accept about a 10% to 15% efficiency from one car to the next. That's why I always consider my numbers to be a data point/reference that other Bolt EV owners can look at, but my numbers are by no means a guarantee of what other Bolt EV owners will see.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We just returned from a weekend trip for a family wedding. 900 miles (RT) in 8 legs. Through 335 miles (each way) of DCFC wasteland (NO CCS plugs)! Six AC Level 2 charges, 3 partial and 3 (overnights) to full. All FREE. 16:40 driving time. 219.7 kWh. 4.1 miles/kWh. Arrived home with 20 miles range remaining. At my age, >8 hours of continuous driving is unsafe. Two overnights were mandatory and the third was free at a relative's apartment. On that night, a wonderful hotel allowed free charging even though we did not stay there. {Kudos, Hampton Inn & Suites!) Wonderful evening meals, some geocaching, and lunch with another relative. All in all, a restful, worry-free, inexpensive trip. I love my 2017 Bolt EV!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts