Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
You certainly don't have to rent a car to go on a long trip. If your ICE is in a shop, why are they not providing you with a loaner vehicle? The issue is that your ICE failed, not that the Bolt can't make the trip. It can, just not apparently in a manner that you and/or your passengers find acceptable.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am not sure how to calculate range... The transmission in our gas car broke so now we are looking at our first trip in our 2020 Bolt, LA to Sacramento. ABRP and PlugShare trip planner recommend 2 or 3 stops, but our trip will be with 5 people and luggage and AC. How is all this stuff affecting the range? It's about 100 miles to cross the mountains and get to Bakersfield EA. Will I make it? And about the speed.... Big trucks are driving 70 to 75 on i5. Cars really do 80-90. I suppose the best thing to do is to draft a truck, but I can't annoy my family with very slow speed on top of the stops and repeated Walmart visits. What do you guys think?
Honestly, that trip is pretty easy. Even fully loaded at freeway speeds with the AC on, your 2020 Bolt EV should have at least 200 miles range before you need to make your first stop.

Because you're going to Sacramento, there's no real difference between I-5 and Highway 99, and the coverage on Highway 99 is far better than I-5. It has about 5 to 10 times as many charging stops to choose compared to I-5, and it has better coverage in terms of faster than 125 A chargers.

If you're leaving with a full battery, your first stop should be closer to Fresno/Coalinga than Bakersfield, and stopping before that is likely going to waste a bit of time. I recommend just figuring out what you want to do along the way, and then figuring out which charging sites align best. If I knew a little more about your expectations for the trip, I could probably help you plan it a little better. I do that run pretty regularly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice! Good idea! But a sad post on this forum.... I have a car.... and expensive one.... but I need to rent a car to go on a long trip... sigh....
Well just for this trip. Life happens. Just spend some money to keep everyone happy. There is nothing sad about this. I would do it if I were you.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haven't done a road trip so the pros will have the good advice, but I do know ABRP has a field for you to enter additional cargo/people weight for it's range calculations. You might try checking that.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Well just for this trip. Life happens. Just spend some money to keep everyone happy. There is nothing sad about this. I would do it if I were you.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Renting a car to drive from LA to Sacramento is completely unnecessary. It's less than 400 miles, and the six hours of driving can be done with less than an hour of time stopped and charging. My suggestion would be:
  • Leave Los Angeles with a full battery.
  • Drive straight up I-5.
  • Stop about 130 miles out (about 2 hours driving) at the Buttonwillow ChargePoint.
  • Grab some Starbucks and use the bathroom while the car charges for about 15 to 20 minutes (the Bolt EV should be up to at least ~65% battery by the time you leave).
  • Drive another 110 miles (about 1 hour 45 minutes) and stop at the Panoche Shell Electrify America.
  • Grab some lunch or frozen yogurt (they have outdoor tables), use the bathroom, stretch your legs, etc. while the car is charging.
  • Leave about 40 to 45 minutes later when the car is about 80-85%.
If the car is charged to 80% leaving Firebaugh, you should be able to make it to Sacramento without any issues (it's only 150 miles from that point), and if there is some other factor (driving past Sacramento, headwind, etc.), you'll pass by a number of other chargers (Patterson, Santa Nella, Stockton, etc.) before getting to Sacramento.

This should be a fairly transparent trip for any passengers, and they'll probably end the trip surprised at how painless and convenient it was. Essentially, they should be able to enjoy the stops the way they normally would, and you aren't likely to spend any dead time just "waiting for the charge to end." If they ask why you're not charging all the way to full, just tell them that the last 20% battery takes longer to fill than the first 80%. The extra range isn't necessary, and you're paying by the minute. It doesn't make sense to stop for longer than about 45 minutes to charge.

Again, Highway 99 presents many more compelling options for a trip, but there are literally so many charging stops now that it's actually harder to "plan" a trip. At this point for me, I simply just drive up Highway 99 with zero planning and stop and charge whenever and however long it strikes my fancy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honestly, that trip is pretty easy. Even fully loaded at freeway speeds with the AC on, your 2020 Bolt EV should have at least 200 miles range before you need to make your first stop.

Because you're going to Sacramento, there's no real difference between I-5 and Highway 99, and the coverage on Highway 99 is far better than I-5. It has about 5 to 10 times as many charging stops to choose compared to I-5, and it has better coverage in terms of faster than 125 A chargers.

If you're leaving with a full battery, your first stop should be closer to Fresno/Coalinga than Bakersfield, and stopping before that is likely going to waste a bit of time. I recommend just figuring out what you want to do along the way, and then figuring out which charging sites align best. If I knew a little more about your expectations for the trip, I could probably help you plan it a little better. I do that run pretty regularly.
THANK YOU!
We're leaving from Azusa.
I suppose the expectation is "the fastest trip possible". My comment is really about the reduction in range when not driving "nice" and at high speed, etc. My wife has a bit of a led foot (not too much, just not putting a lot of effort into range maximizing) and after she drives, the range of the vehicle is under 200. That's just her with one passenger. When I drive I get to push the range above 200, like 215. So that makes me worry about such a trip. There isn't a charger at every single exit. Since this is my first, I really can't anticipate range.
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You certainly don't have to rent a car to go on a long trip. If your ICE is in a shop, why are they not providing you with a loaner vehicle? The issue is that your ICE failed, not that the Bolt can't make the trip. It can, just not apparently in a manner that you and/or your passengers find acceptable.
You put a smile on my face.... We all live different lives.... The ICE is not in a shop. I am fixing my own cars. Obviously not a tranny. This is a complete surprise and unwelcome.I am still in shock and weighing my options. I have the luxury of doing that, since I have the Bolt and I am not in a rush to fix the other car. I suppose my comment on my surprise at range reduction and inability to gauge a range. We drove the car from Azusa to Santa Clarita with 5 people but not luggages. It's a good climb but we also drove back the same way. The range was closer to 160.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
THANK YOU!
I suppose the expectation is "the fastest trip possible". My comment is really about the reduction in range when not driving "nice" and at high speed, etc. My wife has a bit of a led foot (not too much, just not putting a lot of effort into range maximizing) and after she drives, the range of the vehicle is under 200. That's just her with one passenger. When I drive I get to push the range above 200, like 215. So that makes me worry about such a trip. There isn't a charger at every single exit. Since this is my first, I really can't anticipate range.
Thank you for your help!
You're welcome. If those are the expectations, I might suggest Highway 99. It's 70 mph posted for most of the run from the Grapevine into Sacramento, and if you're going to drive faster, you might want access to faster chargers, which there are more of on Highway 99 than I-5. Unfortunately, there aren't chargers off every exit, but Highway 99 is getting close. Possibly every third or forth major off ramp (i.e., at a significant town) has at least one charging station. That's a crazy amount of coverage that even Tesla's Supercharger Network doesn't come close to matching.

If you took Highway 99, I might suggest pushing to the Tulare Electrify America site as your first stop (about 190 miles out, which should be fine on a full battery). Your next stop could be the Turlock Electrify America (another 130 miles out). A quick stop there would get you into Sacramento pretty easily.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
THANK YOU!
I suppose the expectation is "the fastest trip possible".
The way to keep everyone happy is to set expectations in advance. Let them know you're going to use your electric car because the other car is down, and warn them that you'll make a stop or two for coffee and lunch along the way while you charge. They should be fine with it as long as they know the schedule in advance, and unless they want to chip in for a rental car I don't think it's really their place to complain anyway.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The way to keep everyone happy is to set expectations in advance. Let them know you're going to use your electric car because the other car is down, and warn them that you'll make a stop or two for coffee and lunch along the way while you charge. They should be fine with it as long as they know the schedule in advance, and unless they want to chip in for a rental car I don't think it's really their place to complain anyway.
And they are going to be playing on their phone for the entire journey, so what do they care how long it takes? :D

Keith

61 - 72 of 72 Posts