Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be making a trip from Knoxville to Atlanta in a few weeks and have a few questions. I've planned it our using ABRP and everything looks sound. I've got a 22 EUV and plan on keeping the car long term.

Though I theoretically could make it on one charge, I don't want to push it.

Would you recommend starting with 100% charge? ABRP suggested leaving at 90%
How reliable are ABRP estimates?
ABRP says I would go from 44-78% in 30 min at charge stop, seems a little fast to me.
How necessary is it to have an alternate DCFC planned?
Anything else I might be missing?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I always start a long-ish trip with a full charge. For example, a sudden change in weather such as wind or rain can adversely affect your range. I once missed an exit and added quite a few miles to my trip. Luckily I stayed a little longer at my previous charging stop and was able to complete my trip without a problem. Always have alternate charging locations in your plan. The charging station you plan on using may be unavailable for a number of reasons. Good luck on your journey.

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt EV
84 Posts
Will be making a trip from Knoxville to Atlanta in a few weeks and have a few questions. I've planned it our using ABRP and everything looks sound. I've got a 22 EUV and plan on keeping the car long term.

Though I theoretically could make it on one charge, I don't want to push it.

Would you recommend starting with 100% charge? ABRP suggested leaving at 90%
How reliable are ABRP estimates?
ABRP says I would go from 44-78% in 30 min at charge stop, seems a little fast to me.
How necessary is it to have an alternate DCFC planned?
Anything else I might be missing?
Starting with 100% is good. ABRP is pretty good. If you can go 5mph slower than you usually would drive, you'll get better range. Note, in general, people you visit don't want you plugging into their house to recharge overnight. Even to their 120V outlet. They worry it might damage their house and even your lifelong friend and closest family often are skittish. Thus re-charging at a L3 station once you are at the location can also be required as part of the plan.

On your first trip you might want to plan to even stop twice along the way for shorter charging times, rather than once, just for fun. I did so. On my first trip I gained confidence on the way heading back home. Even though I had planned to do two stops again, I was debating skipping the first charging stop because it was pretty clear on the Guess o Meter that I could get to the next one easily. I decided against it which turned out a good decision. Charging at the first stop was easy, and snack and drinks there hit the spot with my passengers. But when I got to the EA station at the next stop all four of the chargers would just stop after 5-10 minutes, and getting a charge that was supposed to just take 30 minutes took an hour and 20 minutes and the passengers were not happy. I was very glad I didn't have to charge there for longer, which would have been the case if I had skipped the intermediate stop.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
11 Posts
On my trips, ABRP was 5-10% conservative on miles per kw, but optimistic by about the same amount on charging rates. And it does not account for any charging problems, which in my case, amounted to anywhere from 5-100+% increase in stop time.

It looks like you have multiple chargers on your route, so I personally would leave with 90%. Even without the recall restrictions, charging to 100% will cause battery life to shorten vs. charging to 90%. (I don't think charging to 100% once in a while is a problem, but why not avoid it if possible for maximum battery life).

I do agree with the above, that you should be conservative with your charging strategy. Have backups and charge enough to easily get to your backup.

Your 120v plug in EVSE only takes about 1000 watts (if Bolt in car configuration is set to the default of 8 amps). Or about 2/3rds of a powerful 1500 watt hair dryer or space heater. So hopefully you would be able to convince people that your car would not damage their home circuits. In any case I would take the EVSE with you, if nothing else just as a backup plan. Its really great being able to start the return trip with 90% full, without going to a charger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently made a trip from Madison WI to Boulder CO. I had planned to use ABRP, but I ended up just taking an hour and using plugshare I added all the DCFC chargers along my route as "favorites" to google maps. This was just a nice visual to have.

I would usually stop just for sport at DCFC chargers along the route just to get some charging practice and gain confidence. A 10 minute stop could get you ~30 miles of range added. I found it faster to stop more often as opposed to waiting until I was down to 25% and then charge all the way up to 80% because as you know the charging rate throttles down as you reach 80%. Good luck and enjoy the trip! Its a great way to travel!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Where were going they have an 20 amp L2 that I can use (current Volt owners). Likely will start with 100% and time it so we leave about 10 min after it finishes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't forget to allocate extra time for stopping in Chattanooga LOL - you are going to stop whether you want to or not :) You stay on 75 and that is not as bad as going thru the town on I24 but still. Every time I go back to visit family seems like I get stuck in traffic somewhere. There are good charging opportunities on your route so think you will be fine.

I've done one trip in my Bolt and didn't charge and got back with 36 miles left. I haven't taken the Bolt to Chattanooga as the DCFC are on the other side of town and mostly Level 2 chargers in town and they are never near where I going.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you purchase the premium ABRP it will take into account the weather forecast so that can help. You can purchase it month by month so you can cancel for months in which you don't feel you need it. I have found it reasonably accurate expect when dealing with cross winds, in which case you use more energy than predicted. If you have an OBD reader and Torque setup to feed data to ABRP it is even better (and you don't need premium for that).

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If you have a way of feeding data to ABRP it is fantastic! With my Model Y it does it's own calculations of battery degradation and how many miles per kWh you get in your car at 65 mph rather than relying on generic fleet data, or data input by you as the user. For example, the generic fleet data for a Model Y (long range OR performance) is 3.35 miles per kWh at 65 mph, my Model Y Performance with the smaller lighter 19" wheels and tires is getting 3.76 miles per kWh at 65 mph.

Keith

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt EV
84 Posts
I presume you mean a DC level 2 station (DCFC), since DC Level 1 stations are rare (& slow compared to DCFC), and there is no such thing as a Level 3 standard for EVSE.

I noticed I had written L3, thought maybe I should switch that to DCFC since someone might comment on that. Lol. :)

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
226 Posts
If you are stopping at Electrify America, I would suggest you get their Android Auto connection working (If you are Apple users maybe Carplay is the same). I have had much better success starting charging from the Android Auto screen than from the phone app. And it is much more convenient to start the charger before you get out of the car and then just get out and plug in.

To start charging from the AA app pull up to the charger and pick "Nearby stations" from the menu. Then pick your station and you will have a start charger button (I can't remember exact text). Then you just pick your charger and choose start.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
627 Posts
I've made this trip quite a few times, with EA it's almost as easy a trip as a gasoline car trip was.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV
9 Posts
We went from Cincinnati to Gatlinburg for vacation in our EUV; I started at 90%, recharged to 90% twice and never went below 35% on the way there. It pretty much was drive 120-150 miles, stop and charge at EA for an hour (Walmart in Georgetown KY, Walmart in Williamsburg KY), then when we got to the exit off I40 we stopped and charged for less than half an hour (up to 45% or so) at the Kodak TN Harley dealer's lot because I didn't want to be low on charge and have to fumble around in the dark trying to find an exterior outlet at our rental cabin (turns out there wasn't one to find anyway). On the way back we skipped the charger at the Harley dealer and charged to whatever ABRP said plus 10%. I'd recommend taking along some books to read while you're charging; after all if you've seen one Walmart you've pretty much seen them all. The good news was only 1 of 12 chargers on the way down wasn't working, and on the way back all 8 (including the one that wasn't working before) were fine. Plus the outbound trip was on Labor Day and EA had free charging that weekend, so the only fuel cost on the way down was about $4.50 in electricity from my home charging; coming back I spent around $20 - just for the trip down and back, my wife's Escape Hybrid would have cost us close to $120 in gas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts