Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of us are waiting to see the Bolt launch into the market, whereas many others have reserved the Model 3.

The fact that these two companies are competing right now, let's find out what are the 5 advantages of the Bolt over the Model 3, shall we?

First up will be the 2017 Chevy Bolt meeting the new benchmark of somewhere over 200 miles range and sticker price of around $37,500 before incentives.

Of course anyone who’s not been hibernating has also heard of the similarly specified and sleeker designed $35,000 Tesla Model 3 now with more than 325,000 pre-orders at $1,000 apiece paid by eager intenders.
1. It's available sooner

2. It's well-sorted, in terms of
In the plug-in field, GM has established itself with more than 100,000 plug-in electrified vehicles sold over the past five years and all with a stellar track record. Lessons learned are being applied to the Bolt, GM has said.
3. It has good utility:

The roomy five-passenger Bolt with flat floor and tall ceiling has been touted as making such good use of interior space that it’s like a vehicle two size grades up from what it is on the outside.

While the Model 3 will have a frunk and trunk, and Musk said a seven-foot surfboard can be squeezed in, the utilitarian value of a hatchback with seats that fold down to make a larger cargo space may work better for people who place an emphasis on hauling stuff.
4. Front Wheel Drive (debatable)

5. Better Odds To Collect Federal Tax Credit:

Unless the U.S. Congress grants an extension, the three biggest plug-in electrified vehicle (PEV) sellers in the U.S. – GM, Nissan, and Tesla – are approaching a 200,000 unit cap per manufacturer in the next couple of years or so. After that, the $7,500 potential benefit starts to fade, being cut to $3,750 for two quarters, then $1,875 for two quarters, then zero.

Between Tesla and GM, the Bolt will benefit by being first on sale.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The model 3 isn't bad but the trunk design could use some update. The opening looks like they just cut a rectangle out the back and called it a day.

Going to be hard to put things in there if you can't lean in at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The model 3 isn't bad but the trunk design could use some update. The opening looks like they just cut a rectangle out the back and called it a day.

Going to be hard to put things in there if you can't lean in at all.

That model s trunk doesn't look good.

Dave

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another case of design impacting functionality. But it's possible that Tesla figured most buyers don't mind it, that they have little to carry that will be an issue in getting into a trunk opening that small. At least it's good enough for groceries and typical every day things people do.

Surveying owners on this should reveal this fact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So many of us are waiting to see the Bolt launch into the market, whereas many others have reserved the Model 3.

The fact that these two companies are competing right now, let's find out what are the 5 advantages of the Bolt over the Model 3, shall we?

1. It's available sooner

2. It's well-sorted, in terms of

3. It has good utility:

4. Front Wheel Drive (debatable)

5. Better Odds To Collect Federal Tax Credit:
Another advantage IMO is that it's obviously shorter. That means more room in my garage, and easier parking on the street in Europe (where I live).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think the Bolt EV is better utility wise with the taller body that's not as long. Plenty of vertical stacking space on the inside even without lowering the seats and you can mount a rack onto the roof for more cargo space.

If I could only buy one, I would go for the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another advantage IMO is that it's obviously shorter. That means more room in my garage, and easier parking on the street in Europe (where I live).
Shorter... in the city is a very valid point since when it comes to turning radius we might just have the best in the segment. One confirmation of this could be the fact it was designed with services like Uber in mind and we know how important it is to easily maneuver when putting a car through what those guys do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Full Disclaimer I am a Tesla fan and my wife drives a 70S Model S but in general I just want all BEVs to be successful to reduce our dependence upon Fossil fuels. But for fun here is my off the cuff list of top 5 reasons the Tesla 3 will be better.

1. Available in RWD and AWD models (Depending on where you live this does make a difference)
2. Will certain be faster than the Bolt (more fun to drive)
3. This is certainly objective but much more sexy looking. Why do other manufacturers insist on making electric cars look funky?
4. Autopilot capable including adaptive cruise control which I saw in another thread the Bolt won't have
5. Supercharger capable - Great for long XC trips - will be better if they include it or add it for a reasonable cost

Certainly I see advantages for the Bolt as well around manufacturing capabilities and greater service availability but from a technology perspective Tesla is blowing it away.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Full Disclaimer I am a Tesla fan and my wife drives a 70S Model S but in general I just want all BEVs to be successful to reduce our dependence upon Fossil fuels. But for fun here is my off the cuff list of top 5 reasons the Tesla 3 will be better.

1. Available in RWD and AWD models (Depending on where you live this does make a difference)
2. Will certain be faster than the Bolt (more fun to drive)
3. This is certainly objective but much more sexy looking. Why do other manufacturers insist on making electric cars look funky?
4. Autopilot capable including adaptive cruise control which I saw in another thread the Bolt won't have
5. Supercharger capable - Great for long XC trips - will be better if they include it or add it for a reasonable cost

Certainly I see advantages for the Bolt as well around manufacturing capabilities and greater service availability but from a technology perspective Tesla is blowing it away.
You're comparing two very different price points with the performance version and AWD. Plus, availability of the Model 3 will be at least 2 years behind the Bolt, and more if you aren't a current Tesla owner looking for a higher optioned vehicle.

Fast delivery/availability of the Model 3 will be 4-5 years away (which is a loooong time for GM, Nissan, etc) to develop the $45K to $50K+ car you are comparing the Bolt to.

People insist an talking as if the Model 3 will be widely available in 2017. The specs have not even been finalized. If you were indeed choosing between (what we know) of the Model 3 and the Bolt, I agree with you completely - a decked out Model 3 will kick the Bolt's a**. But it will be years before that is truly a choice.

The big advantage GM has is availability. I would be surprised if Tesla has even started converting reservations to actual pre-orders by the time GM has 50K Bolt's on the road, let alone started deliveries in any significant quantity.

I do have a reservation in for a Model 3, but it is not Bolt OR Model 3 situation, I'll likely buy/lease the Bolt and evaluate my needs when the Model 3 is actually available. Supercharging makes the Model 3 very attractive to replace our hybrid, but wait times with only doubling the current Supercharging network while putting 10x+ the number of Tesla's on the road could prove problematic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts