Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my Volt in for an issue with the display freezing/radio (warranty) and to get recalls addressed. First time back to the dealership in 2 years of trouble-free driving. Love this car.

I was ok with the limit on the battery, don't need to charge to 100%, since the battery issue, I've had it set on 80%. No problems.

However, when I got the car home yesterday to charge on my L1 at 240V, the time to full was 16 hours! I can typically charge up overnight to full. I had to reset the location and amps at home to 12 with the display/radio replacement but this did not increase the charging speed.

Did the GM fix/recall limit how fast the battery charges? I could handle 80-90% on battery but taking longer than overnight to get to 80%... no way will this car work for me.

I will take it over to the EA Charging Stations and see if it fast charges and back to the dealership.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,793 Posts
Probably used more of the battery than normal. I see it is charging at ~2kW which implies 12A (1.44 kW) which tends to round up on the DIC.

The SoC is sitting at ~75-80%, so it is likely estimating to 100%. After the recall update, all of the charging settings get reset, location, amps, Hilltop Reserve\Target Charge Level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol... Yes Bolt. My 2018 Volt has other issues and thats for another forum... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Agree with @ARob , nothing should have changed the charging behavior, just that the default settings were all reset.

However you also mentioned L1 and 240 volts, I'm assuming based on the image you uploaded you're actually charging at 12 amps and 120 volts?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
When they did the work they re-set the car, your "location based charging" was re-set.

Now when you plug in you are charging at 8 amps instead of 12 amps unless you manually select 12 amps each time, or you re-program your home location for the location based charging.

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with @ARob , nothing should have changed the charging behavior, just that the default settings were all reset.

However you also mentioned L1 and 240 volts, I'm assuming based on the image you uploaded you're actually charging at 12 amps and 120 volts?
No, I'm charging at 240V with the L1 supplied with car at 12 amps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When they did the work they re-set the car, your "location based charging" was re-set.

Now when you plug in you are charging at 8 amps instead of 12 amps unless you manually select 12 amps each time, or you re-program your home location for the location based charging.

Keith
I made sure to reset the location to home and 12 amp charging. I use my Chevy-provided EVSE plugged into 240v at 12 amps.

Something is not right. Before the "fix" I'd charge to 90% overnight, easy. Now, it's taking 16 hours. Painfully slow.

The range is fine that the fix limits to, @ 90%, that's more than I usually charge to and I can live with that. But the dealership must have done some type of limiting on the speed of charge and that will be a game-changer.

The picture below shows the charge rate at 12 amps/240V.
Speedometer Vehicle Car Steering part Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Car Steering part Gauge

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you're using the included evse that came with your Bolt to charge a 240 volts that's level 2. Or L2. Also there's no need to set home location if you put the evse on 240 volts, it always defaults to 12 amps regardless of what settings you have in the vehicle at 240.

And if that is the case, the display should read 3kW as long as the heater and air conditioner, including battery conditioning, are not running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're using the included evse that came with your Bolt to charge a 240 volts that's level 2. Or L2. Also there's no need to set home location if you put the evse on 240 volts, it always defaults to 12 amps regardless of what settings you have in the vehicle at 240.

And if that is the case, the display should read 3kW as long as the heater and air conditioner, including battery conditioning, are not running.
Oh man... I already got jumped in another forum for saying I did L2 with the supplied EVSE at 240v/12 amps. Not one person would answer my question because of the focus on L1 or L2... err... I deleted the post.

Thank you for the clarification on the 3 kW. That makes me feel better and I was able to verify I have the US-made battery in the 2019 Bolt. I really want to keep this car.

I just need to figure out the parking outside after charging. They are stealing catalytic converters out of cars here in Houston :oops:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Oh man... I already got jumped in another forum for saying I did L2 with the supplied EVSE at 240v/12 amps. Not one person would answer my question because of the focus on L1 or L2... err... I deleted the post.

Thank you for the clarification on the 3 kW. That makes me feel better and I was able to verify I have the US-made battery in the 2019 Bolt. I really want to keep this car.

I just need to figure out the parking outside after charging. They are stealing catalytic converters out of cars here in Houston :oops:
Bottom line, I think you're all good and after one or two charges you'll see it operate as you remembered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think they be able to steal it from your Bolt lol
LOL... our professional thieves here would probably try to cut the battery out, thinking they hit the goldmine!

·
Registered
164 Posts
...charge on my L1 at 240V..
L1 = Level 1? :unsure:

If so, L1 at 240V isn't possible.

However,
...the time to full was 16 hours!...
sounds like the factory reset to 8 Amps.

Though, to me, my 2020 Premier resets to 8 Amps after I start the car the next day (even mentioned in the owners manual that it will reset).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

You can assert with confidence that the difference between L1 and L2 is the voltage. L1 is 120V always. L2 is 240V always. There is no other differentiator between the two.

As to your original question, there is missing information. It's really a question of the starting and ending SOC. You said that it took 16 hours. The OEM EVSE at 240V charging at 2.88 kW. At that rate a 0-100 charge would take 20 hours while a 0-90% SOC charge would take 18.75 hours. So, if your car was as 15% trying to get to 90% using this setup, it would take 16 hours to charge to 90%.

So, if you could can you fill in the missing information?

ga2500ev

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can assert with confidence that the difference between L1 and L2 is the voltage. L1 is 120V always. L2 is 240V always. There is no other differentiator between the two.

As to your original question, there is missing information. It's really a question of the starting and ending SOC. You said that it took 16 hours. The OEM EVSE at 240V charging at 2.88 kW. At that rate a 0-100 charge would take 20 hours while a 0-90% SOC charge would take 18.75 hours. So, if your car was as 15% trying to get to 90% using this setup, it would take 16 hours to charge to 90%.

So, if you could can you fill in the missing information?

ga2500ev
Yes.. I think when I got the home back from dealership, the battery was low, which I typically don't have that low. I can't remember what the percent was, only the Guess-O-Meter.

Thank you for your detail, that helps a lot. I can live with the limited battery as long as the charge rate is the same.

I was surprised to see the level of charge adjustment still goes up to 100% after the fix. I'm guessing 100% on screen is 90% internal.

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
L1 = Level 1? :unsure:

If so, L1 at 240V isn't possible.

However,

sounds like the factory reset to 8 Amps.

Though, to me, my 2020 Premier resets to 8 Amps after I start the car the next day (even mentioned in the owners manual that it will reset).
Tony, I have an adapter on my Chevy supplied L1 VSE that plugs into a 240V outlet. I charge at 240v/12 amp.

Keith

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I was surprised to see the level of charge adjustment still goes up to 100% after the fix. I'm guessing 100% on screen is 90% internal.

Keith
I don't believe there's any internal limiting, the suggestion is for you to set your limit of charge at 90%.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
187 Posts
You guessed wrong. You have to manually set the charge limit to 90% on one of the Charging screens. I suggest setting both the Home and Away limits to 90%.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts