Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
2,935 Posts
I was surprised to see the level of charge adjustment still goes up to 100% after the fix. I'm guessing 100% on screen is 90% internal.
Maybe you overlooked my previous comment from 2 days ago?

The recall update resets all of the charging settings, location, 8A vs 12A, and Hilltop Reserve\Target Charge Level. You state you reset location and 12A, but haven't mentioned the third factor which directly relates to your original question.

So, did you go back and reset the HTR or TCL?

BTW, the Bolt knows when it is charging on 240V, regardless of what EVSE you are using. It gets current on both of the pins on the J plug instead of just one. The L1 and L2 distinction is a general reference, but it is safe to say when power is delivered on Line 1 only, it is Level 1. If power is delivered on Line 1 and Line 2, it is 240V or Level 2.

When it senses 240V, it ignores the 8A vs 12A setting and takes everything the EVSE offers it which is always 12A in the case of the OEM supplied cord. Only when current is active on the one pin will it check the 8\12A setting and respond back to the cord to supply only 8A if the 12A toggle is not set, out of an abundance of caution.

I get the sense that two days later you are still not understanding why the long estimate to complete charging, is it because the estimate was anticipating charging all the way to 100% instead of your assumption it would be the 90% target you were accustomed to? Remember, the intermediate SW update put a 90% limit on all charging (and removed HTR\TCL). The "Final" update removed the 90% limit, allowing 100% charging again and restoring HTR\TCL settings. Of course, the default would be 100% because how would GM know your intentions?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,199 Posts
Tony, I have an adapter on my Chevy supplied L1 VSE that plugs into a 240V outlet. I charge at 240v/12 amp.

Keith
You're going to continue to get tripped up by stating "L1 EVSE at 240V". As Tony has already pointed out and I explained in my previous post at 240V, it's an L2 function, regardless of what plug it has on the end of it.

I know you have it straight. However, if you call the unit the OEM EVSE instead of the L1 EVSE, then folks will stop asking you to explain its usage. The OEM EVSE at 240V is what you are describing. It eliminates the confusion.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe you overlooked my previous comment from 2 days ago?

The recall update resets all of the charging settings, location, 8A vs 12A, and Hilltop Reserve\Target Charge Level. You state you reset location and 12A, but haven't mentioned the third factor which directly relates to your original question.

So, did you go back and reset the HTR or TCL?

BTW, the Bolt knows when it is charging on 240V, regardless of what EVSE you are using. It gets current on both of the pins on the J plug instead of just one. The L1 and L2 distinction is a general reference, but it is safe to say when power is delivered on Line 1 only, it is Level 1. If power is delivered on Line 1 and Line 2, it is 240V or Level 2.
View attachment 37597

When it senses 240V, it ignores the 8A vs 12A setting and takes everything the EVSE offers it which is always 12A in the case of the OEM supplied cord. Only when current is active on the one pin will it check the 8\12A setting and respond back to the cord to supply only 8A if the 12A toggle is not set, out of an abundance of caution.

I get the sense that two days later you are still not understanding why the long estimate to complete charging, is it because the estimate was anticipating charging all the way to 100% instead of your assumption it would be the 90% target you were accustomed to? Remember, the intermediate SW update put a 90% limit on all charging (and removed HTR\TCL). The "Final" update removed the 90% limit, allowing 100% charging again and restoring HTR\TCL settings. Of course, the default would be 100% because how would GM know your intentions?
Thank you Rob... I understand.

Reactions: ARob

·
Registered
332 Posts
So related but unrelated question, has anyone noticed anything wrong with DCFC speeds? I don't do it often enough to really know but I recently had to use them and the max rate of charge was 22kWh which seemed absurdly slow. I have to observe more and see if maybe I was just pluggin in at awkward times in its charging curve but I was severely disappointed. These were at EA 150-350kWh stations that my Kona EV never once had any issues with.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,322 Posts
So related but unrelated question, has anyone noticed anything wrong with DCFC speeds? I don't do it often enough to really know but I recently had to use them and the max rate of charge was 22kWh which seemed absurdly slow. I have to observe more and see if maybe I was just pluggin in at awkward times in its charging curve but I was severely disappointed. These were at EA 150-350kWh stations that my Kona EV never once had any issues with.
What was your SOC at the time? Anything above 50% will see a taper, so the DCFC charging power could be pretty low if your SOC was already high. The other factors are temperature - ambient, battery, and charger. Were the EA cooling pumps / fans running on the charging station? Was your Bolt's battery cooling system running?

·
Registered
332 Posts
What was your SOC at the time? Anything above 50% will see a taper, so the DCFC charging power could be pretty low if your SOC was already high. The other factors are temperature - ambient, battery, and charger. Were the EA cooling pumps / fans running on the charging station? Was your Bolt's battery cooling system running?
I think you hit the nail on the head, I think I was at like 55% or something. It was a rare charge in that I was topping off before heading out into a charging desert. The Kona will still peak pretty nicely over 50%, I guess the Bolt is more conservative. Good information.

Funny, literally just made a post about charging curves and how they vary on another thread like 10 seconds ago.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts