Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I tried the return-to-center experiment yesterday. Both directions seem to act the same. If I turn left and release, it comes almost back to center but with a slight left drift. Turning right is similar: release and it comes almost back to center with a slight right drift. Pretty much what I would expect. It's possible that mine just doesn't have the problem mentioned in this thread.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any chance you have a case number or other reference? I'm setting up service for this issue now and am anxious to avoid an argument over whether this is warranty or not.
I'm taking my new '19 Bolt in this Thursday for the same issue, so I would be interested in any case number or reference as well. I only have about 300 miles on mine right now and I experienced this pull on another one I test drove a couple of weeks back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm unhappy to report that the Bolt went into the shop last week to have the entire steering rack replaced...and it did "not" fix the problem. My service advisor is working with GM again to investigate further. He thinks the next course of action might be to replace the main motor on the steering column.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried the return-to-center experiment yesterday. Both directions seem to act the same. If I turn left and release, it comes almost back to center but with a slight left drift. Turning right is similar: release and it comes almost back to center with a slight right drift. Pretty much what I would expect. It's possible that mine just doesn't have the problem mentioned in this thread.

Mike
If you come out of a turn you get the drift but if you accumulate some speed, lets say around 60km/hr+ or on the highway does it cruise perfectly straight with no alignment issues? I've heard others on the facebook Bolt forum describe the same problem. Some it's only one direction, others it's both.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there any chance you have a case number or other reference? I'm setting up service for this issue now and am anxious to avoid an argument over whether this is warranty or not.
I do not have any case or reference number. My dealer is working directly with GM tech support. The replacement steering rack did not fix the problem. There was talk of perhaps changing the main steering column motor. This issue seems quite complex but rest assured it's a real problem and not normal. I have read at least a dozen other complaints on other forums beyond this one. I will definitely post updates as I have them but it may take some time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you come out of a turn you get the drift but if you accumulate some speed, lets say around 60km/hr+ or on the highway does it cruise perfectly straight with no alignment issues? I've heard others on the facebook Bolt forum describe the same problem. Some it's only one direction, others it's both.
It's hard to judge actually. In situations where the road is crowned down to the right, it pulls right. In situations where the road is crowned to the left, it pulls left. It's difficult to judge sections of road that you think might be flat but in those sections that look pretty flat, it seems to track pretty straight. Given this, I just figured that based on the car's wheelbase and maybe an alignment that is geared more toward efficiency (less toe perhaps), it tends to follow the road crown more than most cars. Maybe mine just doesn't have the problem but my prior cars didn't follow the crown that much and since most right lanes crown down to the right, I'd be tempted to think it pulled right if I didn't pay attention to which way the road was angled.

I wouldn't be inclined to think it's the power assist motor, at least on mine, since it'll pull left in those rare sections of road where the road tilts down to the left.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's hard to judge actually. In situations where the road is crowned down to the right, it pulls right. In situations where the road is crowned to the left, it pulls left. It's difficult to judge sections of road that you think might be flat but in those sections that look pretty flat, it seems to track pretty straight. Given this, I just figured that based on the car's wheelbase and maybe an alignment that is geared more toward efficiency (less toe perhaps), it tends to follow the road crown more than most cars. Maybe mine just doesn't have the problem but my prior cars didn't follow the crown that much and since most right lanes crown down to the right, I'd be tempted to think it pulled right if I didn't pay attention to which way the road was angled.

I wouldn't be inclined to think it's the power assist motor, at least on mine, since it'll pull left in those rare sections of road where the road tilts down to the left.

Mike
Best way to test is take it to a mall parking lot on a sunday evening in a flat open area.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Best way to test is take it to a mall parking lot on a sunday evening in a flat open area.
I've tried it in open parking lots and it doesn't seem to pull either direction. In fact, at lower speeds, not much pull is detectable even on the road. It's only at speeds of 50+ MPH that it seems to pull. There are a couple sections of road in my area where the entire road (both lanes on a 2 lane, 2 way road) appear to be sloped together in the same direction. I've noticed that when going west in that section, the car pulls right. When coming home going east, it pulls left on those sections.

Mike

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
...if you accumulate some speed, lets say around 60km/hr+ or on the highway does it cruise perfectly straight with no alignment issues?
If you're accelerating then the car can pull to one side due to torque steer - that would have nothing to do with alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like the steering rack might be the culprit for major problems, but here is another possibility for small crowning corrections. Check tire pressures, TPMS is not always very accurate. Sometimes tire circumference can make a difference, even 1/8 inch can cause drift. Try swapping fronts to rears and see if there is any difference. This can be DIY; break loose the lugnuts before lifting and retorque to OM 100 ft-lbs. Best to follow OM swap diagram (2019 pg 292 and 332). If you are due your factory tire rotate, just let the Chevy guys do the work. Also, any tire store will do a rotate $30-55; just be sure you tell them it is an EV. Lifting on the battery pack could ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BTW: a newly delivered vehicle can come from the factory with really bad alignment, poor QC. To answer a previous question; toe in will help with straight tracking but toe out will definitely create drifting and wind wander.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're accelerating then the car can pull to one side due to torque steer - that would have nothing to do with alignment.
It's not torque steer! When completing a turn even if you just let it coast or slight throttle to maintain the speed the steering will not fully return to center and the car would slowly drift and eventually hit the curb with a 20ft or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It sounds like the steering rack might be the culprit for major problems, but here is another possibility for small crowning corrections. Check tire pressures, TPMS is not always very accurate. Sometimes tire circumference can make a difference, even 1/8 inch can cause drift. Try swapping fronts to rears and see if there is any difference. This can be DIY; break loose the lugnuts before lifting and retorque to OM 100 ft-lbs. Best to follow OM swap diagram (2019 pg 292 and 332). If you are due your factory tire rotate, just let the Chevy guys do the work. Also, any tire store will do a rotate $30-55; just be sure you tell them it is an EV. Lifting on the battery pack could ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This problem has existing since the vehicle was new. It now has 22K km's. Same symptoms through a few tire rotations and even same when I swapped out my winter wheels. So we can rule out tires, tire pressure, wheels and wheel nut torque.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If you come out of a turn you get the drift but if you accumulate some speed, lets say around 60km/hr+ or on the highway does it cruise perfectly straight with no alignment issues?
It's not torque steer! When completing a turn even if you just let it coast or slight throttle to maintain the speed the steering will not fully return to center and the car would slowly drift and eventually hit the curb with a 20ft or so.
OK. I felt the need for a sanity check when I read the phrase "accumulating some speed".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had an appointment yesterday to have this checked out. 26 hours later I see on the app that they took it out for a drive - apparently trying to duplicate the issue - what was the point of the appointment? Good thing I didn't wait there for it.

If I'm really lucky, I'll have an answer this evening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trust me, you need to go with them on the test drive and point it right out. Most of these techs have their head up bum, time is money and just want to get you in and out. What they will do is exercise their "stealership" model and defraud GM by billing them warranty work for multiple wheel alignments that are not the problem. They did 4 wheel alignments on mine before I demanded they escalate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, I'm sceptical. One of the reasons given for the delay was that there is only one EV tech. Okay, but alignment isn't unique to EVs....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wish we knew what the stock alignment specs are. My 2019 simply has a tendency to follow the road crown, it'll pull left if the road is tilted left and right if it is tilted right. My suspicion is that the alignment is set up for maximum efficiency which might include things like less toe. That plus the shorter wheelbase make it follow the road crown. Most roads are crowned to the right (right side lower) for drainage and safety so most of the time it'll pull right. I'm still curious if you've tried your car on a section of road that is clearly tilted to the left to see if it pulls left on those sections.

Mike

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
15 Participants
MikeyBolt
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing