Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, after searching for hours to find an answer, decided to post here to see if anyone has any thoughts.

I just noticed last night a tiny red flashing light that would come on from the center (on top) of the charge indicator light when the car is locked. It's exactly like an anti-theft alarm indicator light that would flash.

Funny thing is I never noticed anything like this in my 2018 Bolt LT, but now that I had the 2019 Bolt Premier for 4 days this is the first time I noticed.

New feature in the 2019? Premier vs LT feature? Or have I completed missed it all this time with my 2018?

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good question. Nothing about it in owner's manual. I'd also assume it is related to the anti-theft alarm.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've noticed the same. I was wondering if it has to do with the Charge Limit feature - are you set at 100% or other?
My car is currently set to limit 80% - I've only noticed the red light when the larger light is solid green.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I just noticed last night a tiny red flashing light that would come on from the center (on top) of the charge indicator light when the car is locked. It's exactly like an anti-theft alarm indicator light that would flash.
I believe that's telltale for the "immobilizer". Cars have been required to have an immobilizer for some time now - it senses the lack of a valid key and (in an ICE vehicle) disconnects certain critical circuits such as the coil and the fuel pump so that the car can't be stolen with a simple jump start. Apparently it's been very effective in eliminating a certain style of car theft. The Bolt doesn't have the same kind of immobilizer, but the function is logically similar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your input on this one. I am just surprised I never noticed this on the 2018. Maybe there is some hidden menu to turn it on/off because I can't find anything in the settings. I do enjoy the blinking red light like an alarm indicator, and if it helps deter theft even better. ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I definitely have too much time on my hands ...
I looked too, both 2018 (my car) and 2019 manuals (no joy), then went outside to see if I could see a red light (2018, none seen).

Some kind of tracker or bug? :) Actually, don't some lease / rental companies add weird trackers and/or shut off devices. Or, an aftermarket anti-theft device? (but, why?)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've noticed the same. I was wondering if it has to do with the Charge Limit feature - are you set at 100% or other?
My car is currently set to limit 80% - I've only noticed the red light when the larger light is solid green.
Could someone post a picture?

Near the green dashboard charge light?

Or, the OEM EVSE lights? That flashing red light is a fault condition and means means that charging stops.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could someone post a picture?

Near the green dashboard charge light?

Or, the OEM EVSE lights? That flashing red light is a fault condition and means means that charging stops.
Those are the Charge Cord Status Indicators. I just took a photo and will post from my iPhone.

This is an indicator or the immobilizer or anti-theft alarm. In comes on for about 10 seconds or more when you first lock car with remote. Then it just flashes like I’ve seen security system on other cars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After determining the proper GM/Chevrolet terms I searched the owner manual for "theft deterrent". I now think that little red light is an anti-theft alarm system status light. When you lock the vehicle the system in armed after 30 seconds. The light is on steady during those 30 seconds and then starts flashing after that to indicate the alarm system is armed. Attached image is what the 2019 manual says about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I found this thread after google search. Exactly same situation here. Never noticed this before on my '17 or up until now on my '19. I'm not sure how/why I didn't notice this earlier.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yes, that is a theft/alarm system active indicator. A lot of cars have these. My 2017 is
not equipped with this indicator. Looks like a new addition for 2019 production.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I never use the RKE fob to lock my 2017 Bolt: I just let it lock itself, or push the little button on a door handle. Should I be using the RKE fob to lock my Bolt?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,278 Posts
I never use the RKE fob to lock my 2017 Bolt: I just let it lock itself, or push the little button on a door handle. Should I be using the RKE fob to lock my Bolt?

I always use the door handle button. Too many ways to capture the longer-range RF signal when the fob is used, which can facilitate theft of the vehicle, or its contents.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I always use the door handle button. Too many ways to capture the longer-range RF signal when the fob is used, which can facilitate theft of the vehicle, or its contents.
I don't use either. I have mine set to auto lock. No problem! I keep my FOB in an EDEC
key pouch. No FOB signal can be read while it's inside the pouch.
I keep my truck FOB in my freezer. It's not used much. That's an easy way to block signal.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I just noticed the blinking red light on my dash and looked in the owners manual....nada. I also determined it only came on when the door was locked. Then I did a search and this thread popped up first. Post #10 nailed it. Thank goodness you guys solved this earlier....

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Nope! It's a rolling code and changes every time.
There are ways to defeat that. One way is to read the transmitted code from the fob while jamming the signal from getting to the car. Another way is to have an accomplice follow you and your fob around with a repeater that transmits to a transceiver that the thief holds up to the door to unlock the car.

None of these things prevent me from using the fob on occasion, but I usually just use the door handle buttons since I've got my finger right next to them anyway. Saves a bit on the fob battery, perhaps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts