Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my way to my dad's apartment this morning, after he passed away from a stroke last evening, I hear a tire start thumping. TP read normal, so I sped up a little, big THUNK, then it stopped thumping. TP still normal. Get to dad's apartment to take care of things, my sister comes in five minutes later and says "You have a completely flat tire.". Great. Get out the inflator, no dice. It's leaking faster than that anemic little POS can inflate it. Call GEICO for a tow. Tow truck gets there, hooks the winch to it ("It's made just like a Prius underneath" - really?), but can't get it to actually be in neutral to allow it to roll up onto the truck. I say "Why don't I just drive it up there, so we don't damage anything?" - "Okay, but I didn't see anything!" he says. So we do that. Get to my repair shop and I backed it off. Oh, not only is the right rear totally flat, the right front has a giant flap torn loose on the sidewall. A miracle that one didn't blow out at the first sign of a bump. No earthly clue what could have done that - I haven't hit anything or sideswiped anything that I'm aware of. But, time for four new tires. 5497 miles on them.

Meantime, call Pep Boys, they can locate precisely, exactly TWO OEM Michelin tires - in the entire United States of America - and both of them are more than 2000 miles from Tucson. So yeah, no thanks.

Ordered four new ones from Tire Rack. Somebody PLEASE tell me this is the tire I actually want. My phone was acting up, and it took about 12 tries to get it to let me finally place this order without crashing the @#*([email protected] browser. If it's not, I still have time to change it.

When it rains, it pours.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I wasn't specifically looking for the self-sealing versions (which obviously did me no good in this case). My iPhone was acting in a way I've never had it act before, ever. Today of all days.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Thank you. I wasn't specifically looking for the self-sealing versions (which obviously did me no good in this case). My iPhone was acting in a way I've never had it act before, ever. Today of all days.
Looks like the self sealing ones are about $22 more per tire on tirerack.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It doesn't help that there are four different Michelin Energy Saver A/S in size 215/50/17. As listed on Tire Rack:

• 91H DT Different Tread, Chevy Bolt
  • 91H TPC Spec, Chevy Volt
  • 90V
  • 91H Selfseal, TPC Spec, Chevy Bolt <-- this is the OEM tire

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'm going to stick with the ones I ordered in that case. Run flat "technology" is about as useless as teets on a boar as far as I'm concerned. I'm not using the car for road trips (39 miles each way is my longest commute, and that's exceedingly rare). 90+% of my driving is in town.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your other option, if you do not care about the Selfseal feature, is to go with a different model of tire entirely. However, some other models of tire have a negative impact on economy and range. But one poster did find that the Vredestein Quadtrac 5 did not have a noticeable difference in this area.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With everything going on right now, if these tires physically fit on my car, I'm leaving the order as-is. I've got 245,923 other things on my mind.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Really sorry to hear that this happened at such an unfortunate time. I've no doubt it's the last thing you want to have to deal with right now...

...they can locate precisely, exactly TWO OEM Michelin tires - in the entire United States of America
This is why I carry a spare - not only so that I can get back on the road again right away but so that I'm not subject to the whims of the supply chain. When I ordered my spare it took 2 months to arrive. Having an AAA membership isn't all that useful if they can't source the part to fix the problem.

·
Registered
2014 Volt
11 Posts
Really sorry to hear that this happened at such an unfortunate time. I've no doubt it's the last thing you want to have to deal with right now...

This is why I carry a spare - not only so that I can get back on the road again right away but so that I'm not subject to the whims of the supply chain. When I ordered my spare it took 2 months to arrive. Having an AAA membership isn't all that useful if they can't source the part to fix the problem.
I had a tire shred after driving my Volt through a rock fall in No CA in a canyon that wouldn't allow cell phone, on-star or ham radio waves to get out. I decided after that to buy run-flat tires since my Volt doesn't carry a spare, donut or otherwise. I considered saving one of the tires to keep as a spare, but aside from the storage space it would take up I wondered how it couldn't be changed on the highway when the vehicle is not designed to be supported by a jack. Was I worrying for nothing?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The "different tread" was (I think) the Canadian spec Bolt tire. I think I have a whole thread about this in this section... I will see if I can find it and post a link.

Keith

<edit>Nope looking at tire rack the "different tread" were not the ones made in Canada, and looking at the tread pictures, the "different tread" looks identical to the other non-self sealing tires, but the self sealing tread looks different than all of the non-self sealing. When I got mine the Canadian version was on sale cheaper than the rest, so that is the ones I got... looks like at the moment the Canadian are the most expensive, even more expensive than the self sealing version.</edit>

·
Registered
187 Posts
I blew a tire today. Hour and a half wait for Roadside assistance. Hit a chunk of loose asphalt kicked up by a truck that was in front of me. Looked at it after on flat bed and looks like rim maybe damaged. Major hole in inner side wall and all the goop outside of tire. Unfortunately had to take to Chevy dealer I despise. Less than 5k on tires just replaced in June. Let the fun begin tomorrow. Bought tires at Costco.

·
Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - a week ago, Oct 2020
1 Posts
Sorry about your loss, keep telling stories about him.

I had looked up the stock tires a couple of weeks ago, and saw that DT = different tread, an asymmetrical pattern, and it's pretty subtle. Meant to improve handling and cornering, I think.

A/S is All-Season (not as i said here , auto seal, it's probably up to you and the installers whether to add the mystery goop[and it's not added, it's part of the tire]). So, you've ordered the stock tire.

(I looked up what the TPC spec is, per another comment above,
It's a GM reference number that should take you to the exact tire).

([edits])

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I had looked up the stock tires a couple of weeks ago, and saw that DT = different tread, an asymmetrical pattern, and it's pretty subtle. Meant to improve handling and cornering, I think.
The "DT" designation is used to differentiate the self-sealing vs. non self-sealing versions of the tire. See this thread. As far as I know that's the only difference.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts