Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and wanted to revive some discussion on the forum (I did a search and found a smattering of threads, but none were really accomplishing what I'm aiming to do). One of the very few things I don't love about my Bolt is the storage space on the floor in front of the cup holders. It's a useful space to have, but stuff just slides around in that large tray.

I saw on a Facebook group once that some people are putting cloth organizer caddy things in there that looks quite nice. I saw a foam insert for a big, freaking cup in this forum.

What I'm looking to do is see how others are using that space--see if anyone has found some sort of organizer that fits there particularly well, or if anyone has since made modes to the car in this storage space. The last thread I saw on this in here was from 2017 . . .

·
Registered
633 Posts
I fabricated a tissue box holder. I used high density foam to cut a block to fit in the tray. I covered it with black carpet to match the car interior and attached a plastic storage container to the top. I used a bolt through the container and the carpet. The carpet was attached with spray contact cement to the foam. Been working great for about year.
Holder on Bench.jpg Holder Side View.jpg Holder Top View.jpg

·
Registered
8,312 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the thread I referenced earlier that hasn't been updated since 2017. Rather than revive an old thread, I thought I'd just rehash some of the ideas there in my description and start a new discussion to see what people have been doing since. Sincere apologies if that's bad juju in this community!

Edit: I'm also looking to get more of an idea of mods/organizers people user there rather than just a general "what do you put in that thing?" thread.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
That's the thread I referenced earlier that hasn't been updated since 2017
Okay, here's one from 2018 with a reference to a youtube video:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and wanted to revive some discussion on the forum (I did a search and found a smattering of threads, but none were really accomplishing what I'm aiming to do). One of the very few things I don't love about my Bolt is the storage space on the floor in front of the cup holders. It's a useful space to have, but stuff just slides around in that large tray.

I saw on a Facebook group once that some people are putting cloth organizer caddy things in there that looks quite nice. I saw a foam insert for a big, freaking cup in this forum.

What I'm looking to do is see how others are using that space--see if anyone has found some sort of organizer that fits there particularly well, or if anyone has since made modes to the car in this storage space. The last thread I saw on this in here was from 2017 . . .
I can fit two square tissue boxes in the space. One box is empty for trash. When full, just toss.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi everyone!

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is a video I put on YouTube in 2018 re improving the use of my "storage canyon". (Good name!)
In addition to the stuff shown a small, cube-shaped tissue box fits here just fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I saw a post somewhere on this forum where they recommended the black faux leather desk organizer linked below, so I ordered one off Amazon Prime. It works great. It has a weighted base so it doesn't slide around or rattle, and fits in the "canyon" with just a little spare room on each side. I keep my phone, hand wipes, USB cord for my iPad, some pill bottles, etc. in the small compartments. I like it!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I’ve actually been thinking of using that area to build a custom sub box for a compact 8” woofer, but it seems to be too labor intensive. Currently using it as a Kleenex holder as others have.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought three cheap grey wash mits and put them there. The ones that look like they are covered with little villi or fingers.

This lets me drop items there without breaking them and keeps them from moving around. Mostly sets of keys, my smartphone when it is plugged in, my wallet, pens, and a small spray bottle of cleaning solution with a cloth for glasses and the screen. As well as two adorable mouse shaped coin purses.

The grey is hard to see against the flooring in my car. In a pinch I have something available for wiping gunk off my rear view camera.

15809631992783943044415849196461.jpg

Due to the cubby location, I do not trust it to hold anything large enough to get in the way of the accelerator or brake pedal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, these are awesome ideas! Thank you, everyone--and sorry again for multi-threading the forum. I didn't spot the more recent 2018 thread when I ran a search.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I keep my Costco Li-ion Jump starter there in its padded case. That way I can check its charge and top it off easily. I LOVE the mini sub-woofer idea. Needs a mini power supply. Should be just enough to fill in the low end frequencies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts