Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was not planning on doing footwell lighting, but after seeing magrider’s post about the fuse F51, I thought it was an easy job, the only challenge is finding a good location and make sure the wires do not rattle!

Click for video:

I found some 12v, dimmable, slim, blue LEDs on Amazon. Not the cheapest but they are DOT certified, for what it worth.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5HAWY9[/ame]​

So following magrider’s instructions I tapped the Fuse F51 with a fuse tap, be careful this is a Mini Fuse type, not a Micro2 Fuse type.

Front driver side is straightforward, I attached the light to the plastic air vents. Make sure you do not attach it to the airbag.

On the passenger side I attached the light to the underside of the panel. I added a connector for easy disconnect if I need access.

For the the rear seat, I removed the sill panel (there is a little metal clip to pull down to free the hood handle) to route the wire underneath the carpet, while I was there I added some Dynamat to the floor pan. The hardest part of this whole project was attaching the lights to the front seats, as there is very little space, even with the seat raised all the way up and all the way forward.

• The lights turn on when opening the door and will stay on for 1 or 2 minutes or until the car is turned on.
  • The lights turn on when the headlights are on
  • You can dim the lights using the dimmer button
  • The light will dim to off when turning off the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice, really liking the matching blue color and the fact that you did the rear as well. I was too lazy to do the rear ones. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update!

As much as I like the fuse tap for its cleanliness, I was not happy that the foot well lights didn't react exactly like the dash LED ambient lights... Specially the fact, that they need to turn on to full power, when opening the door during the day, and that they need to them off completely with the dimmer button all the way to the left.
So I rerouted the power pickup from the fuse box to the dash LED power as seen here:

The trim pieces are very easy to remove to get there, you only need a 7 millimeter socket and a plastic trim tool.
  • First remove the fuse box cover
  • Then remove the trim piece on the outside edge, it just pop out, it is held with plastic clips, two bolt are hidden there.
  • Then remove the piece under the steering wheel there are 2 bolts and 4 metals clips, it pop out easily too.
  • Next free the trim on the pillar starting from the top and working you way down, there are 3 metal clips on the pillar and one at the bottom. You can't remove that trim as it is held in place by a tether (for when the airbag explode, you don't get the trim in the face...) but you can move the trim just out of the way enough to access the last bolt that hold the white trim with the vents.
  • Unclip the connector to the light switch. Lift the front and pull the white trim forward toward you, look at the back of the trim for info on the clip positions. Don't pull too hard as the LED light is still connected and there is not a lot of slack on the wires.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
220 Posts
I certainly appreciate the time and effort needed to put this together. Are you using one of the rent seeking service "manuals" to guide you along each time you tackle a new project or just jumping in head first after awhile? Either way, thanks for the efforts!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you again, timeToy, for leading the way with these mods. Just finished the front footwell using the fust tap method. Sweet!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did this to our new Bolt over the last few days. I bought a package of 20 of the blue lights on Amazon for $17 from Partsam. They dim just fine, and will give a bunch to our nephew for his boat. It was about $14 for 10 of them.
Thanks for the info on the fuse, and where to mount them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts