Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a problem right now, but I want to be prepared in case it ever comes up. I know you can use a dead transmitter, but I'm talking about what to do it it's lost or misplaced, especially if we're not at home.
Thanks!
Bruce

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,356 Posts
While the fob contains a physical key that can be used to unlock a door, I don't know of any way to actually start the car without the fob. There is no hidden key socket for using the physical key. Regardless of where the car is, it will likely need to be towed to a dealer to get a replacement fob programmed to the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dan is right. The car simply cannot be driven without a key fob. You'll need to fetch the fob from home, or buy TWO new ones to reprogram to the car. Note that when reprogramming, it will require two fobs to add. It won't exit programming mode until the 2nd fob is learned. Towing it to the dealer is an unnecessary expense, you can do what they do by just following the instructions in the manual. You will need a ride to dealer to get 2 fobs (immediately) or wait for an online order to arrive if you have the luxury of time.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Kind of a trick question. I can remote start my car via fob and the MyChevy app.
That really isn't what I think of as "start." It is a remote way to get heater/AC working and maybe battery to temp is all.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,356 Posts
@jefro the remote “start” with the app is as you guessed only to precondition the car interior. If you enter the car in that mode (which requires a key since the car auto-locks) you will find the car is not actually running and cannot be driven. You still need the fob to actually drive it.

Reactions: kline1

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
@jefro the remote “start” with the app is as you guessed only to precondition the car interior. If you enter the car in that mode (which requires a key since the car auto-locks) you will find the car is not actually running and cannot be driven. You still need the fob to actually drive it.
I think I read here about someone who remote started his car to precondition and then got in the car and drove it 50 miles away before realizing he didn’t had the key with him. I might be wrong though.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,356 Posts
I can only speak to my specific model, but it can’t be done in my 2022 EUV. When you enter the car after remote start, the dash is off and no controls respond. You have to press the start button to wake everything up.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,629 Posts
Which is what happened in the drive off case:

1. Driver got in and pressed the start button.
2. Driver ran back in the house, leaving the key.
3. Driver got back in running Bolt and drove 50 miles before realizing that the key was missing.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can open the car with the Key inside the Fob and you can start the car by placing the Fob on a spot in the center console. Page 182 of 2022 EUV manual.

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter
must be in the vehicle for the system to
operate. If the vehicle will not start, place
the RKE transmitter in the transmitter
pocket, inside the center console.

YOU WILL ALWAYS NEED THE FOB.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
"You still need the fob to actually drive it." So far that has proven true.

My car is either locked by me or via app so I can't enter the car. Some people may have fob closer than I'd normally have it. At work I've walked out to car a number of times to realize fob was in drawer.

Every FOB and smart key car or truck that I have requires some spot to put the device to start if battery dead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess in the worst case scenario where you lost your Fob, your only option is get a Uber to drive you to your closest Chevy Dealer and have them make you a new extremely over price replacement Fob.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
398 Posts
Dan is right. The car simply cannot be driven without a key fob. You'll need to fetch the fob from home, or buy TWO new ones to reprogram to the car. Note that when reprogramming, it will require two fobs to add. It won't exit programming mode until the 2nd fob is learned. Towing it to the dealer is an unnecessary expense, you can do what they do by just following the instructions in the manual. You will need a ride to dealer to get 2 fobs (immediately) or wait for an online order to arrive if you have the luxury of time.
Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying. I bought just one extra key fob and added it to my car following the instructions in the book. I had no problem doing just one.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,394 Posts
Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying. I bought just one extra key fob and added it to my car following the instructions in the book. I had no problem doing just one.
As long as you had two existing programmed fobs to start with, it is simple.

Otherwise (if you only have one existing programmed fob) there are a couple ten minute wait periods during the reprogramming process that makes it a PITA.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think OnStar can actually start the car. I think I read somewhere on reddit of someone starting the car through OnStar and driving it.

I don't know how you convince OnStar to do that...

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,629 Posts
You can add extra ones if you already have two properly authorized. However, in a "all keys lost" situation, which includes having only a single authorized fob, the procedure requires adding a minimum of two fobs to complete.

That's what happened with my 2017. Came with one fob. It wasn't sufficient to program a second. Bought a second. Used the "all fobs lost" to program/reprogram them both. I have a third that is yet to be programmed. However, I should be able to add as you did now that I have two authorized fobs.

BTW the procedure is designed to slow a thief down. A valet with a single key for example could quickly clone a single key if it were allowed. They can still do it, but the "all fobs lost" procedure takes a minimum of a half hour to accomplish. BTW as an extra safety measure one should give the valet only the fob without the actual physical key, since that physical key is necessary to complete the authorization procedure.

SFIAH

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I somehow got the feeling that one could replicate a fob with a single working fob as long as 8 total haven't been programmed in. People refer to it as the long program.

I know OnStar had/has an ability to disable a car, not sure they have the ability or desire to actually start the car.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,356 Posts
You can remote start it using your iPhone.
No, you can't. All you can do with the phone is pre-condition the car. The button on the app might be labeled "Start", but that's not what it actually does. I tried it a couple of days ago. Even if you get in the car with a fob, you still can't drive it until you put your foot on the brake and actually press the Start button on the dash. Otherwise the car is powered down, with only the HVAC running. And since the car automatically locks when you press the remote button, you need the fob or key to get in the car. I suppose you might be able to unlock it with the app too, but I haven't tested that. But you still can't actually drive the car without the fob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, you can't. All you can do with the phone is pre-condition the car. The button on the app might be labeled "Start", but that's not what it actually does. I tried it a couple of days ago. Even if you get in the car with a fob, you still can't drive it until you put your foot on the brake and actually press the Start button on the dash. Otherwise the car is powered down, with only the HVAC running. And since the car automatically locks when you press the remote button, you need the fob or key to get in the car. I suppose you might be able to unlock it with the app too, but I haven't tested that. But you still can't actually drive the car without the fob.
The remote start button works on my iPhone.It starts the heating/cooling, much like the remote start on ICE vehicles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts