Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,721 Posts
While the fob contains a physical key that can be used to unlock a door, I don't know of any way to actually start the car without the fob. There is no hidden key socket for using the physical key. Regardless of where the car is, it will likely need to be towed to a dealer to get a replacement fob programmed to the car.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,721 Posts
@jefro the remote “start” with the app is as you guessed only to precondition the car interior. If you enter the car in that mode (which requires a key since the car auto-locks) you will find the car is not actually running and cannot be driven. You still need the fob to actually drive it.

Reactions: kline1

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,721 Posts
I can only speak to my specific model, but it can’t be done in my 2022 EUV. When you enter the car after remote start, the dash is off and no controls respond. You have to press the start button to wake everything up.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,721 Posts
You can remote start it using your iPhone.
No, you can't. All you can do with the phone is pre-condition the car. The button on the app might be labeled "Start", but that's not what it actually does. I tried it a couple of days ago. Even if you get in the car with a fob, you still can't drive it until you put your foot on the brake and actually press the Start button on the dash. Otherwise the car is powered down, with only the HVAC running. And since the car automatically locks when you press the remote button, you need the fob or key to get in the car. I suppose you might be able to unlock it with the app too, but I haven't tested that. But you still can't actually drive the car without the fob.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,721 Posts
The remote start button works on my iPhone. It starts the heating/cooling, much like the remote start on ICE vehicles.
Yes, it starts the HVAC. But that's all it does. The car itself is still "off", and nothing inside the car can be operated without pressing the Start button in the car with the fob in your possession.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts