Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm not quite sure where to put that question since it could end up as a different topic quickly.

So here my issue: Nowadays when I move to work (or drive back) this is the sunrise/sunset but the sun is still strong so I need my sunglass. However, my car doesn't think so and put my screens (including the main screens where my speed is) in night-mode. Unfortunately, I turned down (almost to zero) the ambient luminosity - which also affects the night screens luminosity. So I can't see my speed at all on the screen.

I tried to find a way to put the screens on "day mode" but found nothing. I do find out that I could force my headlight on or set my screens to night-mode... sweet...
So is there a way to :
  • Change the threshold of the night mode from the light sensor?
  • Force the day mode somehow for the screens?
  • Hack the light sensor (Do they only use the camera behind the central window? Would suck to project a light source there to cheat)
  • Anything else that may be relevant to my issue
I have no skill to disassemble the car but I shouldn't have an issue with playing with the CAN Bus (well if I can find details for the Bolt) or play a little with some electronics signals.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Hack the light sensor (Do they only use the camera behind the central window? Would suck to project a light source there to cheat)
The light sensor appears to be integrated with the charge light on the dash. I've hacked it by putting something over it to go into dark mode. Guess one could reverse that process by setting a light over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my other idea of where to look for, thanks!
I know you didn't play a lot in between night/day but did you notice if the screens day/night mode is the same between the screens and headlight? I'm curious to see if I could put the screen in day mode but keep the headlight one with the light sensor. Will have to test that otherwise.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
did you notice if the screens day/night mode is the same between the screens and headlight?
not sure if I'm understanding the question. it takes the sensor nearly 20 seconds to respond. like driving in a tunnel, the sensor will change the screen from day to night and then the daylight running lights switch to the headlights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure if I'm understanding the question. it takes the sensor nearly 20 seconds to respond. like driving in a tunnel, the sensor will change the screen from day to night and then the daylight running lights switch to the headlights.
The short version: Was it possible to drive with screens in day mode with headlights on from the light sensor only? (ignoring any transition delay).

I found out that yes it is possible, I just had the right condition today while driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts