Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I've owned a 2013 Ford Focus Electric for about the last five years and have really enjoyed the electric experience even with limited range. Since the Focus is coming to the end of its battery warranty in October, I'm looking to upgrade to the Bolt EUV. It checks almost every box for me and I'm excited about being able to road trip with an EV. I've owned a number of vehicles from VW, Mazda, and Ford, and I've always found forums a very useful resource, so I'm glad this site is here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey there! I've owned a 2013 Ford Focus Electric for about the last five years and have really enjoyed the electric experience even with limited range. Since the Focus is coming to the end of its battery warranty in October, I'm looking to upgrade to the Bolt EUV. It checks almost every box for me and I'm excited about being able to road trip with an EV. I've owned a number of vehicles from VW, Mazda, and Ford, and I've always found forums a very useful resource, so I'm glad this site is here.
Great!
You are aware that this EUV is just a slightly longer Bolt EV with the additional space being only used for the back seats?
The EUV is about the same width (0,2" larger) and has half a cubic feet less storage in the trunk.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great!
You are aware that this EUV is just a slightly longer Bolt EV with the additional space being only used for the back seats?
The EUV is about the same width (0,2" larger) and has half a cubic feet less storage in the trunk.
That is not exactly true. The EUV is rated at slightly less cargo volume, but functionally it has more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great!
The EUV also has the rear camera screen in the rearview mirror and the roof rails (both now deleted from the EV), and optional super cruise and sunroof.

As for the storage it has significantly more when you fold down the rear seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Whether Bolt EV or EUV, both will be far more spacious than my FFE. For those unaware, it wasn't originally designed to be electric so part of the battery pack takes up about 1/3 of the cargo space.

A few things are pushing me to the EUV: First and foremost is Super Cruise, which sounds amazing. Second would be the panoramic sunroof, and third would be styling. I'm hoping that tax credits will return or there will be some discounts though, so I'm not in a huge hurry.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat
81 Posts
I'm not unhappy with my 2021 Bolt Premier, but it certainly has drawbacks. I urge you to skim the Subject lines in this newsboard (various Sub boards) to get an idea of them. In most reports so far, the pricing has been extremely attractive. But the choppy ride and the heat-a/c are inferior to what I'd prefer. Rear legroom and acceleration are better than I expected. As a Prius driver, I have zero problem with starting torque or traction. The LT is a real bargain, but the Premier seats are very comfortable (for ME.)

It's not a fair comparison, but because I kept two successive Priuses for seven years, and everyone I knew who didn't have a Prius expected the battery to fail catastrophically in either a rainstorm or the day after the warranty expired, I do question your OP/stated reason for buying new right now. OTOH, the Ford is old enough that you deserve a new car.

I've only seen the EUV on my computer, but I see no reason to pay more than the Bolt price for it.Your range of choices will start to expand exponentially next year. The question is whether you are committed to the Corolla price level. (No slur - I loved my Corolla.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not a fair comparison, but because I kept two successive Priuses for seven years, and everyone I knew who didn't have a Prius expected the battery to fail catastrophically in either a rainstorm or the day after the warranty expired, I do question your OP/stated reason for buying new right now. OTOH, the Ford is old enough that you deserve a new car.
Sure, since the FFE is such a niche car the issues it has may not be common knowledge. But about 5-10% of the cars are experiencing coolant leakage into the high voltage battery. This is generally catastrophic and requires full replacement of the battery. Right now I'm covered by the powertrain warranty, but in November that will run out. The cost to fix is laughable, somewhere on the order of $10,000 so the car goes from good to a brick if it happens. I'd just rather not deal with it.

Certainly I wish the chip shortage weren't happening now; that isn't going to help pricing. But I do like the Bolt better than some competitors like the ID.4 because of better reliability, better controls, and Super Cruise. I'll probably lease instead of buy just because I'm sure they'll be a nice Ultium vehicle I'll want in 2024.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hate to suggest this on a Bolt forum, but the Hyundai Ioniq EV is available at very good lease rates in the Limited trim.

The Highway Driving Assist is a fantastic feature where the car, basically, drives itself and the 170 miles of range might work for you just as well as the Bolt's longer range (depending on how much you really need). Just a car to consider since it really is under the radar; I'm very glad I "discovered" it.
With my driving, I normally get mid 5 miles per kWh and have gotten as much as 6.1 on my normal 16 mile drive to work now that the weather is warmer. Very efficient car.
Very, very long list of standard features. No options to order unless you want mats.
I was about to purchase a 2017 Bolt but GM's battery sale-freeze forced me into the waiting arms of Hyundai.
The car doesn't have blazing acceleration but I also had a Prius so acceleration is not bad, as far as I'm concerned.
It was a no-brainer for me. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in the Midwest and Hyundai & Kia EVs are compete unobtanium here. So much so that if I went to my local dealer, cash in hand, corporate would cancel my order since it's not in a ZEV state. So I'm pretty sour on the Korean brands for working against their own cars.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was about to purchase a 2017 Bolt but GM's battery sale-freeze forced me into the waiting arms of Hyundai.
So GM buys bad batteries from Korea, which forces a stop-sale, causing Hyundai to make a sale they otherwise wouldn't have?

I'm not saying Ioniq is a bad car if you can find one (like @Magnetoreluctance I'm in the Midwest so that's not even an option, speaking of which how did you find an electric Focus?), but I've seen conspiracy theories built on less.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sure, since the FFE is such a niche car the issues it has may not be common knowledge. But about 5-10% of the cars are experiencing coolant leakage into the high voltage battery. This is generally catastrophic and requires full replacement of the battery. Right now I'm covered by the powertrain warranty, but in November that will run out. The cost to fix is laughable, somewhere on the order of $10,000 so the car goes from good to a brick if it happens. I'd just rather not deal with it.

Certainly I wish the chip shortage weren't happening now; that isn't going to help pricing. But I do like the Bolt better than some competitors like the ID.4 because of better reliability, better controls, and Super Cruise. I'll probably lease instead of buy just because I'm sure they'll be a nice Ultium vehicle I'll want in 2024.
Whoa. Thanks for the info. Our other car is a 2017 FFE. Will be watching out for that.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The EUV also has the rear camera screen in the rearview mirror and the roof rails (both now deleted from the EV), and optional super cruise and sunroof.
I knew about the missing roof rails, but I had no idea about the rearview mirror downgrade. I guess GM is returning to the prevalent idea that the smaller the car, the more it needs to be an econobox.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat
81 Posts
Just a note that the TV rear mirror is problematic for those of us who drive with bifocals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you're looking to buy a 2020 or 21 Bolt the Costco Auto Program has the $3000 off special back on. You have until August 2nd to buy the car, but it doesn't say anything about taking delivery in that time period.

I think I'll be driving a 2021 Premier very soon. My 2017 Premier should be going back to GM in a week or so, my 'case' is in the hands of the repurchase team. I'll know soon how much, but I expect it'll be somewhere around $23,000 give or take I'll net selling it back. With the Costco $3000 deduction and the other current incentives I should be able to get into that 2021 for just under $30k. With the price of used Bolts approaching $25k it's a no-brainer IMO.

You would have had to be a Costco member at the end of May 2021.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I live in the Midwest and Hyundai & Kia EVs are compete unobtanium here. So much so that if I went to my local dealer, cash in hand, corporate would cancel my order since it's not in a ZEV state. So I'm pretty sour on the Korean brands for working against their own cars.
ditto.... such a shame

1 - 17 of 17 Posts