Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Another challenger will soon jump into the EV ring to go up against the 200+ mile Bolt EV and Tesla Model 3.

When asked about their future electric vehicle plans during Ford’s first-quarter earnings conference call, CEO Mark Fields said he wants Ford to be "among the leaders or in a leadership. Clearly, that's something we're developing for."

Nothing more specific was said but, we can assume Ford will be calling the long-range EV the Model E. They fought against and won the rights to use the title from Tesla two year ago, makes sense to use it for the Model 3 challenger.

We don’t know when they plan to release the Model E but, last year Ford announced their plan to add 13 hybrid or electric vehicles to their lineup by 2020 and they will invest $4.5 billion into this endeavor. By the end of 2020, Ford wants to offer an electric version for 40% of their nameplates. If we base the release date on this timeline then we could be seeing the Model E go into production in 2019.

Right now, Ford has a 76-mile range Focus Electric and it’s going to get a battery boost to extend that range to 100 miles but that’s still not enough to compete with the Bolt EV, Model 3 and Nissan’s planned 200 mile redesigned Leaf. Ford needs a new competitive electric vehicle and according to Automotive News, we may see three variations of the Model E similar to the Hyundai Ioniq. There’s the traditional hybrid, plug-in hybrid and pure electric model.

Of course, this is still a few years away so for now Ford fans will have to make do with a 100 mile range Focus Electric.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Ford Fusion Hybrid and Energi has been the best selling domestic hybrids (better than the Chevy Volt), so I believe it will be converted to pure battery electric. The body can hold a 50 kWh pack or larger with a redesign of the rear floor structure under the seats to remove the gas tank and probably lift the trunk floor space up a few inches. The HF35 EDU has to be removed and a simpler EDU installed with just a 200+ electric motor and reducing gearset.

The removal of all the gas engine support systems will cut down hundreds of pounds that can be translated to the battery, and as such the final weight of a 200+ mile Fusion EV will not be much over the present Hybrid/Energi weight (around 3800 lbs), and can achieve close to 4 miles per kWh efficiency.

I don't see Ford adding a new sedan between the Fusion and Focus sizes, but the "Model E" can be a brand new "blank paper" design, combining the assets of the former sedans. I do expect Ford to add hybrid versions of its larger sedan (Taurus) and all the CUVs and SUVs (from the Escape to the Excursion), such that they all improve MPG ratings, and every new Ford owner can enjoy electric transportation.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm wondering if they're developing the batteries right now for increased density before moving on to the Model E drivetrain and body or if they'll stick with the current Focus Electric battery technology.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm wondering if they're developing the batteries right now for increased density before moving on to the Model E drivetrain and body or if they'll stick with the current Focus Electric battery technology.
I haven't read who is Ford's battery supplier, but if it is LG then it can have the latest battery density. ;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I know the Focus Electric lithium-ion battery system was developed by Ford with the help of Compact Power, Inc., a subsidiary of LG Chem. Maybe the new 200 range Ford EV will have the same battery as the Bolt EV if they continue with the partnership.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bringing a 200 mile EV to market in 2020 (2019 production start = 2020 deliveries) will be about as newsworthy/relevant as introducing another 80-100 mile EV today. It will be the bare minimum required to sell any EV's at all, and could very well sell at about the same rate as the Focus Electric (~1500/yr). 4 years from now is a very, very long time in the EV world.
When Ford talks about "Electric Vehicles", they primarily mean hybrids and PHEV's, and that is what they are counting on to meet the ever tightening CAFE (Corporate Average Fleet Economy) standards. They are less than committed to BEV's as a viable product and seem to see them as a source of supplemental credits (CARB and CAFE) to help offset higher than minimum fleet averages.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Once all the EV's in the segment are out and have been on the market for at least a year, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top and from the looks of things and how it's all shaping up so far, the ball could be in Tesla's court.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Once all the EV's in the segment are out and have been on the market for at least a year, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top and from the looks of things and how it's all shaping up so far, the ball could be in Tesla's court.
I think it'll be in Teslas court as well.. They're very on point when it comes to innovation and staying on top of the game.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think it'll be in Teslas court as well.. They're very on point when it comes to innovation and staying on top of the game.
Not quite! The latest news is that Model 3 buyers will not get free Supercharger use unless they pay a fee ahead. So the price for the Model 3 will go up if you want free Supercharger use.:(

I don't see that it is worth the cost, and Supercharger use has gone up. So I prefer to charge my 200-mile BEV at home with my Level 2 EVSE overnight, and save.;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Not quite! The latest news is that Model 3 buyers will not get free Supercharger use unless they pay a fee ahead. So the price for the Model 3 will go up if you want free Supercharger use.:(

I don't see that it is worth the cost, and Supercharger use has gone up. So I prefer to charge my 200-mile BEV at home with my Level 2 EVSE overnight, and save.;)
Nice ! Saving is definitely the key goal in this ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Supercharger cost won't be an issue at all since some people have a burning want to own a Tesla, buying a supercharger down the road, months into ownership might be the route some follow. Either way Tesla has them right where they need them, much like how Apple does. It's all that's needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Supercharger cost won't be an issue at all since some people have a burning want to own a Tesla, buying a supercharger down the road, months into ownership might be the route some follow. Either way Tesla has them right where they need them, much like how Apple does. It's all that's needed.
Yes Tesla does seem to have great positive brand awareness. There is a "but" though and that is reliability. I first read this by a financial analyst with links to a thread on a Tesla Club website.http://seekingalpha.com/article/3979788-impact-tesla-stock-gms-chevrolet-bolt It's all about wheels falling off Tesla Model S and X with pictures. There seems to be a significant issue with corrosion and this could end up being a nightmare for Tesla. Have to wait and see how this develops and how it will affect the "brand awareness".

·
Registered
51 Posts
An update to my previous post. The NHTSA has started an inquiry into the suspension issues on Tesla model vehicles and is also checking into a report that Tesla has asked customers to sign NDA's which may discourage reporting problems to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Found this snippet of an article as well

Tesla appears to demand “an NDA from owners in exchange for satisfaction regarding its vehicle defects.” An NDA is a Non Disclosure Agreement, an agreement to remain silent.

“NHTSA learned of Tesla’s troublesome nondisclosure agreement last month. The agency immediately informed Tesla that any language implying that consumers should not contact the agency regarding safety concerns is unacceptable, and NHTSA expects Tesla to eliminate any such language.”

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Wonder what the contents of the "goodwill agreement" includes if the vehicle owners can still go to NHTSA or any other government agency. Maybe prevent them from talking about it on social media like forums and Facebook?

Musk also says that a lot of the suspension problem claims are fraudulent. Could be an offensive tactic from other manufacturers if it's true?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tesla Motors and their NDA means that we will not see any third-party repair shops for Model S and X BEVs. And you cannot buy their service manuals at all! GM, Ford, and many other brands do sell reprints of all their manuals at Helm, Inc, so servicing the Chevy Bolt EV will be easier for DIYers, like myself, a year afer the first vehicles are sold. You can see for yourself (and buy the Spark EV manuals) here: http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp?Style=helm

I have bough all the service manuals of my GM vehicles (and other vehicle owner manuals) since 1976 at this site. So by 2018 you can buy all the manuals for the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV, and other GM or Ford EVs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts