Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ford says not true... but thats just because someone said something they should not have...

The official word from Ford is that the rumors of a 200-mile EV aren’t true, despite the reports. Right now, Chevy seems to be the most far along when it comes to offering an affordable electric car, with plans already in place to produce a non-concept version of the Bolt at its Orion Assembly plant just outside of Detroit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GreenCarReports cites several 'inside sources' that all have a different piece of the larger picture of Ford's plan.

Also of note is that they figure since Ford likes to do things differently, they'll unveil it mid-summer at a special Ford launch event, vs at the LA Auto Show in November. Only time will tell!

·
Registered
639 Posts
GreenCarReports cites several 'inside sources' that all have a different piece of the larger picture of Ford's plan.

Also of note is that they figure since Ford likes to do things differently, they'll unveil it mid-summer at a special Ford launch event, vs at the LA Auto Show in November. Only time will tell!
Using their own stand-alone event rather than waiting for a worthy show to come around would be a good path to go about it, all eyes on them and that much less eyes spread to other vehicles. Good for generating buzz.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Still other sites are claiming that the model will debut in LA in November. Seems like the thing we know for sure is that the car exists and it will debut sometime towards the middle to end of the year. I think that it appears as though all the major auto makers want to have an affordable electric car to compete in this emerging segment. No one wants to be late to the game, and some already are.

·
Registered
639 Posts
At this point its basically a race. For the long term, being late to the game originally might not be all that bad, who ever is late just can't be years late.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ford has been selling the Focus Electric for years, but only two plug-ins Energi models (C-Max and Fusion). Ford has to offer new electrics (sedans and SUVs) to compete with GM and the imports. If the Energi had more EV range (at least 30 miles each) then they will be a better offer, since there are no midsized EV sedans yet that compete with the Fusion Energi. But GM, which is producing the new 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid, can leapfrog Ford's efforts if the 2017 Malibu has a plug-in Hybrid version with more range.

Ford truly has an uphill battle against GM!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Uphill? I'm not so sure... I think that it is too early to see which will ultimately have the more successful EV lineup. Spending more time at the drawing board. Observing how other products fare in the medium to long term. These strategies should not be necessarily considered weakness; they may result in a better, more informed product in the end.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ford has announced CCS charging and a 100-mile range for the 2017 Focus EV, but nothing approaching the Bolt from what I've heard.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That 200 mile mark is big. People get "range anxiety" even if they likely won't ever run out of juice. I have no doubt that Ford will arrive in the EV fight eventually but right now they seem a little behind. Then again the Ecoboost engine is really efficient and is running on petrol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That 200 mile mark is big. People get "range anxiety" even if they likely won't ever run out of juice. I have no doubt that Ford will arrive in the EV fight eventually but right now they seem a little behind. Then again the Ecoboost engine is really efficient and is running on petrol.
Yes and no. The EcoBoost can be efficient. Real-world fuel economy is highly dependent on driver behavior and conditions. My experience in the F-150 is that the GM V-8s are about as efficient as the EB V-6s in real-world use.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Recently read that Fords CEO Mark Fields has confirmed it.. apparently the "Model E" will be coming around 2019 and assembled in Mexico ? 200 mile range is quite intense in my opinion. Hopefully they can pull this off ?

"Ford CEO, Mark Fields, has confirmed the company is readying its response to the Model 3 and Bolt EVs.

Asked on a possible 200-mile (322 km) range battery-electric car, Fields said the Blue Oval wants to be "among the leaders or in a leadership. Clearly, that's something we're developing for", according to an AutomotiveNewsreport.

Part of Ford's plan to add 13 hybrid or electric vehicles by the end of the decade, the new EV is believed to be theModel E, after the automaker gained the rights to use the nameplate two years ago after a "dispute" with Tesla Motors.

The Model E is believed to show its face in 2019 and be assembled at a new plant in Mexico. It will ride on the architecture of the next generation Focus, but will have a bespoke bodywork. Besides serving as a replacement for the Focus Electric, with its 76-mile (122 km) range that's set to be increased to 100 miles (161 km) this fall, the Model E is believed to gain hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions, succeeding the C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi PHEV.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw that as well - I think Ford will be too late to the party. If Tesla, GM, and probably BMW can deliver 200 mile cars in the next 2-3 years, they will saturate the market - Ford doesn't even have an EV platform yet.- sounds like they're going to keep essentially putting batteries in the Focus trunk.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sounds kind of like the Hyundai ioniq with three variations using the same architecture but the EV model will have more range. So Ford plans to come out with a hatchback EV and have 200 mile range. We'll see how it competes against the Bolt EV when the production model is unveiled and that's a long time away.

Who they can compete with is the Tesla Model 3. They'll probably come out around the same time if you assume Tesla is going to delay the release.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I truly do think that the Model 3 is going to be delayed... With the that crazy initial reaction from the public and results.. it's going to take quite some time to get the right amount of stock ready for some consistent deliveries. I say the Model E comes out first

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe Musk will prove us wrong but that's highly unlikely and the Model E could very well come out first. How long was the Model X delayed for? Around 2 years? I would assume the Model 3 delay would be similar.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Maybe Musk will prove us wrong but that's highly unlikely and the Model E could very well come out first. How long was the Model X delayed for? Around 2 years? I would assume the Model 3 delay would be similar.
Yeap, a bit over 2 years. Apparently due to lawsuits, seat fitting issues, and the list goes on lol..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts