Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an LT lease on Jan. 7 from Premiere Chevrolet in Buena Park, CA.

I have an L2 charger at home and haven't needed the L1 charging cable that came with it but would like it just in case I do need it in the future. After a few days I realized I didn't get the charging cable that was supposed to come with it. The salesperson said I could come and pick it up and I went back a couple weeks later I found out he has since left the company and of course cable is nowhere to be found. Now I'm getting the runaround on getting it. :mad:

Everyone get their cable fine?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's pretty stupid. Even if the guy did end up leaving, the main point is that you still haven't received the cable and that's all that matters

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They wanted me to come in again (I live about 30 miles away) and then they will try to call the guy who left to see what's up with the cable. Makes no sense and annoying. I'll see if I can find another contact that may be better at customer service. Anyway, lesson learned to not get too excited with the new Bolt and forget the details.

That's pretty stupid. Even if the guy did end up leaving, the main point is that you still haven't received the cable and that's all that matters

·
Registered
124 Posts
Picked up an LT lease on Jan. 7 from Premiere Chevrolet in Buena Park, CA.

I have an L2 charger at home and haven't needed the L1 charging cable that came with it but would like it just in case I do need it in the future. After a few days I realized I didn't get the charging cable that was supposed to come with it. The salesperson said I could come and pick it up and I went back a couple weeks later I found out he has since left the company and of course cable is nowhere to be found. Now I'm getting the runaround on getting it. :mad:

Everyone get their cable fine?
That's terrible customer service! I would immediately elevate your complaint to the regional GM customer service office to get a rapid fix. They should be able to straighten this out quickly.

BTW, I also have an L2 charger at home- a modified EVSE. The folks at http://evseupgrade.com will take your stock Bolt EVSE and upgrade it from 110 to 220 for less than $200 which will more than double it's charging rate. I'm using the EVSE mod they made for me for my Leaf which provides over four times the charging rate of the stock EVSE (smaller cable wires in the Bolt/Volt EVSE limit its ability to deliver energy in comparison to the Nissan stock cable.) I intend to ask the EVSE Upgrade folks to modify the Bolt cable and then keep it in the car for occasional/emergency use while keeping the more robust Leaf cable at home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't dealt with car dealers much before so I appreciate the suggestion on escalating.

When I finally get the cable it may be worth upgrading, thanks for that info also!

That's terrible customer service! I would immediately elevate your complaint to the regional GM customer service office to get a rapid fix. They should be able to straighten this out quickly.

BTW, I also have an L2 charger at home- a modified EVSE. The folks at http://evseupgrade.com will take your stock Bolt EVSE and upgrade it from 110 to 220 for less than $200 which will more than double it's charging rate. I'm using the EVSE mod they made for me for my Leaf which provides over four times the charging rate of the stock EVSE (smaller cable wires in the Bolt/Volt EVSE limit its ability to deliver energy in comparison to the Nissan stock cable.) I intend to ask the EVSE Upgrade folks to modify the Bolt cable and then keep it in the car for occasional/emergency use while keeping the more robust Leaf cable at home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You only need an adapter to have the stock Bolt EVSE charge at 240 Volts. No need to have someone modify it. Just need to get an adapter made or by it from someone that is making them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You only need an adapter to have the stock Bolt EVSE charge at 240 Volts. No need to have someone modify it. Just need to get an adapter made or by it from someone that is making them.
That's true, however I have been told by the engineers at EVSEupgrade.com that the Bolt/Volt cable limits the amperage to 12 amps whereas the Nissan's cable I use can handle 30 amps.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think you are both in agreement.

The default Bolt EVSE doesn't need to be modified to be connected to a 240V circuit - an adapter (120 <-> 240 ) will double the power available.

The LEAF EVSE was/is a heavier duty model, and the unit used by V7i7c can handle higher amperage than the standard Bolt model.

What I haven't yet gleened from the exchange is if the *default* LEAF EVSE can handle heavier amperage, or if the modification to the unit by EVSEupgrade.com included swapping out wiring to *make* it a heavier-duty unit. It *sounds* like the Bolt unit would require new wiring throughout to accomplish the higher rate.

BTW, 12*220= 2.6kW. That is a NICE bump up in power supply for the simple price of one (or several) plug adapter(s). Since OP already has an L2 at home and the default EVSE is for travel, a plug adapters might be the best way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good news, a representative called me surveying me on the lease/purchase and was very helpful in contacting the dealership which called soon after and were also much more helpful than before. They talked to the sales person that left and have located the missing cable which I'll pick up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Glad to hear it all worked out and you didn't have to drive all the way down there for no good reason. Thankfully that survey came about otherwise heavens knows how long it would have taken !

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Good thing they called to survey you, no dealership wants to get poor customer service grades and have unfavorable standing with the manufacturer. That could affect them when it comes to receiving desired inventory and favors.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good news, yeah, following your experience, I was pretty sure you'd get the cable (and probably a bj) if you threatened anything below "excellent" ratings for the dealership about your experience.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Good news, yeah, following your experience, I was pretty sure you'd get the cable (and probably a bj) if you threatened anything below "excellent" ratings for the dealership about your experience.
My sales rep was being slow with getting me a check cut equal to my GM card earnings they initially said they would apply to my Bolt purchase, as for some reason my Bolt’s VIN was not eligible for GM card earning redemption (wtf?). They said that they would just send me a check instead, since I had already mailed off the paperwork and it was all signed.

Fast forward 3 weeks later when I got my Bolt, and I texted the sales guy “Bolt arrived! Now where’s that check your dealership promised me?”

I got a runaround saying that since they couldn’t redeem the earnings, they would just refund the earnings back to my GM card. I was like “Uh, no, first of all, those earnings are worthless to me since I am not planning any kind of car purchase the next few years, and 2, you guys PROMISED me in writing you would cut me a check”. As I had yet to submit the CSI, so I then told the rep “I will not be able to give you a COMPLETELY SATISFIED survey, you know, the one sitting in my inbox ready to send at any time, unless your dealership follows through with its promise of sending me a check. I will be VERY DISSATISFIED (wink wink) if your dealership does not follow through on their pledge. I then included a screenshot of the email the sales manager sent me stating they would send me a check.

The rep got back to me real quick and said he was writing a check from his personal checkbook, and added a bad survey would hurt him “for months”.
The dealership finally agreed to send a check, so the guy didn’t have to cough up his own money. I felt a little bad, because the sales rep really didn’t have a hand in the GM card redemption, but he was the one I was in contact with, so he was the one I filtered my displeasure to.

I got the check, sales rep got a sterling completely satisfied survey, and everyone’s happy for the most part.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My manual, 2nd key, and charger were locked up when I took delivery and no one had access to them, so I had to return to the dealer to retrieve them.

Since I had to go back for a bum rear view mirror, I figure I'd pick it up then. After some Marko-Polo action with the sales guy (visiting service on the sales guy's day off), he arranged for someone to be available to hand it to me when I picked up my car from service.

Gotta be on top of these things when buying a car. I can't imagine how much $$ I'd have to shell out to buy a charger and 2nd key if they'd "walked away".

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When I got my EV a year ago, the dealer 'didn't have it quite ready' after I'd driven over, filled out ALL that **** paperwork, and paid. So they promised to clean it, fully charge it, and deliver it to my house the next morning. When they showed up at 4:30 PM the next day :

- 20 miles range on the vehicle
- only one key
- not manual
- missing 110V charger
- the car hadn't been cleaned
- no paperwork!
- no registration sticker in the window! (req'd to drive)

I refused delivery. They drove away and I called the sales rep (turned out it was his day off), and told him why I refused it. The next morning at 9 a.m. MY REP showed up at my house with :
- full charge (well, minus the 8 miles from dealership)
- both keys
- manual in car
- 110v charger
- car washed and cleaned
- all paperwork and reg sticker

and he handed me a portable 240V charging cable (free) as an apology!

1) always check everything
2) he will always get my future GM business

Reactions: robot99

·
Registered
27 Posts

I am curious where did you learn that the stock Bolt EVSE can be changed over to 240 volts just by changing out the adapter at the end. Presumably I could attach a 6-30 or 14-50 and the unit would work drawing 12 amps?
Manny

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hopefully down the road that won't prove to degrade the batteries life span, not a good thing for those long term owners although the short term benefits can far outweigh all the downsides that come along with.

Too early to tell if that will be the case, not always do car makers get it right the first time around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hopefully down the road that won't prove to degrade the batteries life span, not a good thing for those long term owners although the short term benefits can far outweigh all the downsides that come along with.

Too early to tell if that will be the case, not always do car makers get it right the first time around.
12 Amps @ 240V is still fairly slow charging. It's well below the limit of 240VAC charging the Bolt will accept, and doesn't begin to approach DCFC speeds. We're talking 2.88 kW.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts