Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's one for your tax accountant, but here is my take....

If the upgrade would be used only for the EVSE, the answer would be yes.
If you are doing something like upgrading from 100 A to 200 A service, I would prorate it, i.e. 40A of 200A (or the additional 100A?).
If you just need more room in the panel without any other change to the service, I would say yes (sub-panel?)

If the upgrade is required to install the EVSE, at least a portion of it will be deductible.

This advice may be worth the amount you paid for it......

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked my accountant this morning and he had not heard of this form. He has homework on it. But I thought I would post here so we don't miss a opportunity. Ill email him in a couple days.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Note that EVSE credit is not available if you pay AMT. Thanks, Congress.
Good. If you are paying AMT, you make enough to pay for it out of your own pocket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good. If you are paying AMT, you make enough to pay for it out of your own pocket.
Guilty as charged. However, note that for me AMT is largely due to a lack of a mortgage deduction (less than $1000 interest on the loan this year). That's one of the few advantages of being rather old. But I still get to complain about the bait and switch. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Guilty as charged. However, note that for me AMT is largely due to a lack of a mortgage deduction (less than $1000 interest on the loan this year). That's one of the few advantages of being rather old. But I still get to complain about the bait and switch. :)
This seems backward (and is maybe hijacking the thread a little more). AMT is meant to make up for taxes not paid when someone has so many deductions they don't pay "enough" taxes. In California, this often stems from high state taxes, property tax, and interest deductions. Lack of mortgage interest payments would work against AMT, not for.

BTW, AMT isn't exactly 1%-er territory. It was originally intended to be that way, when implemented in 1969, and then reimplemented in 1982, but didn't track inflation automatically until 2013.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts