Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.bcuc.com/Documents/Proceedings/2018/DOC_50582_A-1_Establishing-Inquiry.pdf

Which says in part:

The BC Utilities Commission is the regulator that ensures utilities provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective electricity. Utilities need to get approval from the commission before they’re allowed to revise rates or begin charging for new services.

FortisBC recently asked the commission if they could recoup costs associated with the use of DC Fast Charging stations. The commission approved a charge of $9 per 30 minute period on January 12, 2018.
$9?! 30 mins? Oh oh sounds like EVgo.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
It's a fair bit cheaper than EVgo if you're on the plan that requires you to pay US$4.95 for the session and then a per-minute fee - especially when you take into account the exchange rate.

I don't have too much of a problem with expensive DC Fast Chargers because it discourages people from using them unless they really need to. And you only really need to when you're on a road trip, which is relatively infrequent compared to my daily at-home charging.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Don't forget, DCFC is primarily for convenience charging. I certainly hope EV drivers aren't depending on them for daily charging needs. That's what low-n-slow Level 2 charging is for. Now that you aren't forced to go to a gas station everytime you run low, you're less likely to visit a DCFC so they have to recoup their costs somehow (and of course, make a profit at somepoint down the road).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I would not call DCFC “convenience” charging. If I am on a 370 mile trip with a one hour DCFC stop planned in the middle, I NEED to charge! I prefer to call this “travel” or “touring” charging. I agree 30 amp Level 2 charging is “destination” (including home) charging, done overnight. If you are at a 80% SoC, and plug in at either Level 2 or 3, that seems like a “convenience”.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good points.

My initial thoughts were it just seemed 'more' than the BCHydro rates of .35 cents per k which of course sounds good but does add up to about $10/hr for the Bolt so double ain't bad.

On a road trip now and the DCFC needs more stations for sure so whatever gets the e-highway populated is great. I wonder what the roll out will be for the FortisBC stations - are they into Alberta too?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would not call DCFC “convenience” charging. If I am on a 370 mile trip with a one hour DCFC stop planned in the middle, I NEED to charge! I prefer to call this “travel” or “touring” charging. I agree 30 amp Level 2 charging is “destination” (including home) charging, done overnight. If you are at a 80% SoC, and plug in at either Level 2 or 3, that seems like a “convenience”.
Hmmm, I dunno why I picked up this vernacular. I think I conflated the situation that you pointed out. DCFC is in fact critical charging. Recalibrating my words.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Yep, I've been watching those DC Fast Chargers in the Kootenays pop up on PlugShare and they've been "fueling" my fantasy road trips...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would not call DCFC “convenience” charging either (even though it often is for me). Even those who aren't long distance travelers may find DCFCs more than simply "useful" or "convenient". For example - it's -10C outside, and *oops* you used that heater a little too much - time for a 30-minute 'fill'! Or, apartment dwellers: it may often be necessary for those who cannot charge overnight to pick up a 30-minute 'fast charge' to get them through the day. SOMEBODY has to pay for the installation costs for DCFCs. And I would put forth that anybody willing to pay $9 per 30 minute period really needs that electricity and is pretty happy that it is there, instead of having NOTHING.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
...I would put forth that anybody willing to pay $9 per 30 minute period really needs that electricity and is pretty happy that it is there, instead of having NOTHING.
Exactly. The price acts as a filter to ensure that only those who need the power will occupy the space. The other guy may need the charge for reasons entirely different than yours, but in the absence of any other way to judge relative necessity money works pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts