Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Proud to be a new owner of a 2017 Nightfall gray Bolt with fast DC charging. I started an electric car company, Aptera, a few years ago and Tesla got the department of energy loan and we didn't...So myself and many people never got our Aptera EV. I could never bring myself to by a Tesla (for obvious reasons) and the other EV's are just converted cars. The Bolt is a ground up EV platform and it's hands down the best car I've owned...having it less than 6 hours mind you.

Proud to be fellow Bolt owners with you!

Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome Steve! I've had my Bolt for 6 months and still grin every time I drive it... still feel it's the best car I've owned and I'm an old fart.

I too drooled over the Aptera and was sad to see it not go into production.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hey guys,

Proud to be a new owner of a 2017 Nightfall gray Bolt with fast DC charging. I started an electric car company, Aptera, a few years ago and Tesla got the department of energy loan and we didn't...So myself and many people never got our Aptera EV. I could never bring myself to by a Tesla (for obvious reasons) and the other EV's are just converted cars. The Bolt is a ground up EV platform and it's hands down the best car I've owned...having it less than 6 hours mind you.

Steve

Oh man, I remember when you guys first started. I really wanted one of your cars, loved the design and how distinct it was.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum and grats on getting s Bolt. Didn't get into the EV scene until the Bolt, so Aptera is new to me. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Bolt! My Bolt should be arriving next week and I can't wait to be grinning as much as you guys. :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Welcome aboard. Your choice is a reaffirmation for us all. Your opinions will be very welcome on our Forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,

Steve
Hi Steve,
Have you ever thought of trying to get Tesla Inc. to buy out Aptera USA Inc. from Rick D.? Tesla Inc. could make Aptera USA Inc. a Tesla Inc. Subsidiary because most of Aptera Motors Inc.'s employees went to work at Tesla Inc. right after Aptera Motors Inc. Bankruptcy. Tesla Inc. has the financial capital and resources to be able to get the Aptera 2e to market right now. There are still a lot of people out there that would rather buy a Aptera 2e instead of a Tesla Model 3 due to personal preference. Myself included. There was nothing wrong with the Aptera 2e itself. What went wrong was IdeaLab wanted to jack up the value of Aptera exponentially to make a quick buck as fast as possible without any regard for Aptera Financial Stability. They wanting to go big instead of growing slow and steady. Aptera Motors Inc. CEO Paul W. should have been looking for other financial options instead of just putting all of Aptera Motors Eggs in the same basket of a US Dept. of Energy Loan that would never come through. By the way, I am happy that you have given us all a chance to see what has come of Aptera. Aptera and Tesla were in the same boat. If a few different decisions had been made by IdeaLab and Paul W. Aptera could easily be worth $50 Billion Dollars. You are going to ask me, "Why should Tesla Inc. support Aptera USA Inc. at all when the Aptera 2e will take some marketshare away from Tesla Model 3 and thus money away from Tesla as well?" My response is, "Aptera USA Inc. could become one of Tesla Inc. Biggest Customers for Tesla Powerpacks, Tesla Electric Motors and Etc. Aptera USA Inc. could easily helped Tesla Inc. earned a few Billion Dollars at least in profits!
Thanks again,
bendallf

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
bendallf,

I'd love to hear Steve's thoughts on your idea. Since it is a slow Sunday, I will give my free opinion, for what that is worth. :)

The vast majority of people have zero interest in small, efficient vehicles. Such vehicles have been prototyped and built, in small numbers, throughout the history of personal transportation. All have failed, or had very limited success. The history of humanity suggests that appealing to ego, greed, and aggression is the secret to success. Even the Bolt, which I consider an obscenely decadent product to release halfway into the sixth great extinction, is considered a dinky joke by most who can actually afford a car. Discussion of our exploitation of fossil fuels, is where we were on the exploitation of other human beings in 1830. We are not to 1861 yet.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
All the car manufactures are trying to get a toehold in the Chinese EV market. Certainly, they will be an improvement over ICE vehicles. But the bicycle was the best thing China ever had. Since Deng Xiaoping, bikes have actually been banned, in some places, as signs backwardness. Now the pendulum is swinging the other way again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/world/asia/china-beijing-dockless-bike-share.html?emc=edit_th_20170903&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=54872420

We humans are fascinating, but I suspect we will go extinct, before we figure it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
bendallf,

I'd love to hear Steve's thoughts on your idea. Since it is a slow Sunday, I will give my free opinion, for what that is worth. :)

The vast majority of people have zero interest in small, efficient vehicles. Such vehicles have been prototyped and built, in small numbers, throughout the history of personal transportation. All have failed, or had very limited success. The history of humanity suggests that appealing to ego, greed, and aggression is the secret to success. Even the Bolt, which I consider an obscenely decadent product to release halfway into the sixth great extinction, is considered a dinky joke by most who can actually afford a car. Discussion of our exploitation of fossil fuels, is where we were on the exploitation of other human beings in 1830. We are not to 1861 yet.
Hi GJETSON,
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”- Henry Ford.
I think if Tesla Inc. started to sell Aptera 2e electric cars, I think they would sell like hot cakes! Everyone wants to now buy Tesla products like they used to want to buy Apple products. Elon Musk is the next Steve Jobs! In 2008, Tesla Inc. was having a hard time just trying to keep the lights on and get the Tesla Model S out the door. Tesla Inc. is now in a much better financial position to start to expand its product offering. Also, why do you think that people have yet evolved to a more cooperation approach from a very competitive approach? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
You may think Elon could sell Apteras like hotcakes. But he clearly doesn't. He thinks the next thing to produce is a smaller SUV, and after that a pickup truck. He thinks the thing to build is what people have already demonstrated a preference for, with their wallets. As for people having evolved to a more cooperation approach from a very competitive approach, are you saying I think that, or you think that? I am not clear on what you are saying. I definitely don't see a more cooperative approach, certainly not in government.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Just for those that may be reading this thread and have no idea what the Aptera was, here are some photos-

No disrespect to Steve intended, but I personally think this vehicle ever had a chance of achieving anything other than a low volume, expensive niche vehicle. I guess we'll never know. Maybe when batteries are dirt cheap they could build it at a reasonable price where people might buy it to commute, or as a novelty. Kind of like the Polaris Slingshot, or Can-AM Spyder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may think Elon could sell Apteras like hotcakes. But he clearly doesn't. He thinks the next thing to produce is a smaller SUV, and after that a pickup truck. He thinks the thing to build is what people have already demonstrated a preference for, with their wallets. As for people having evolved to a more cooperation approach from a very competitive approach, are you saying I think that, or you think that? I am not clear on what you are saying. I definitely don't see a more cooperative approach, certainly not in government.
Hi GJETSON,
I think that Tesla Inc. wants and needs to use all of it's resources in the most efficient manner possible. The less capital that they have to spend, the better chance that they will have to eventually turn a profit. Tesla Inc. always needs to get the most bang for their buck (greatest return on capital possible) so to speak that they can get out of their factories, tools, designs, capital, employees and etc. An example might be if Tesla Inc. builds a brand new factory from scratch lets say when they already owned a mostly empty factory. The Tesla Model 3 is pretty much a smaller version of the Tesla Model S with a lot less bells and whistles. In the long run, Tesla Inc. will need to sell new types of electric vehicles (new designs) once Tesla Inc. has the Tesla Smaller SUV and Pickup truck already for sale to the public in the next few years to help keep the public interested in buying. It is much easier to start a brand new vehicle brand from a bankrupt electric car start up rather than just to design a brand new electric car from scratch (a blank sheet of paper). Aptera USA Inc. already has the designs, prototypes build (I.P.), customer base and etc. ready to go. The Aptera Brand desperately needs a massive shot of capital with an experience team behind it (including the fans) to give Aptera it's best chance of success. In the future, people will look at the Aptera 2e the same way people look at the Apple IPhone now. It sometimes takes a massive change in the public's collective thinking for a good idea to catch on. However, most people first laugh at a brand new idea that has never been try before like people flying through the sky and man walking on the Moon. It is all about helping to prove the haters wrong for the good of humanity!
In regards to the Collective System versus the Competitive System, I think that people are slowly waking up to the idea that everyone should be helping one another instead of just having a dog eat dog attitude. We all need each other to survive. No one lives in a bubble. We all use things everyday that everyone had a hand in making. A person could move to the woods to live a 100% off the resources from the wilderness. However, they would have a much lower standard of living in all regards than someone who has access to modern day technology and resources would have. A person living in the woods would die from cancer without access to proper medical treatment. Unfortunately, our Modern Capitalist System is design and build to help keep making the rich richer and the poor poorer. Communist did not work at all because there was no incentives what so ever to help motive the people to work hard to try to improve their own lives. Eventually, the employees of companies will need to establish and run some form of a co-op by buying a majority share in their companies to be able to have a much greater say in business matters and to earn a living wage (fair wage). However, most people currently do not have the wages needed and the prices of products are way too high to make the Co-op Economic System economic possible at this time. If most people do not feel that their voices are not been listen to, people do not care about their well being and they can never really get ahead to have a better life for themselves and their families, the people will turn to physical revolution eventually like the French Revolution. Revolution is not the best answer at all because revolution would cause too much damage and bloodshed on both sides of the labor/capital divide. We need to start thinking immediately about new economic models and ideas from both the USA and other countries to help start the long and hard road of economic system transition today for a better life for everyone tomorrow! I think the best example for the new cooperation system is when Tesla Inc. decided to release all of it's patents. When Tesla Inc. open source all of it's patents, Tesla Inc. gave away possibly billions of dollars easily in royalties payments over the next few decades. Or when Elon Musk lets everyone to talk to anyone and everyone at all of his companies that can help solve the problem now rather than having to waste time, money and energy by his employees being forced to go through the highly inefficient communication channels of a command-control structure. The Internet now allows for deceleration communication to become a "real" reality for the first time ever in human history. Most progress happens when people are able to work together with as little barriers as possible with access to all of humanity's vast knowledge with access to much needed capital. We do not really build anything from scratch. We are just helping to build upon someone's else work to help drive humanity's path forward to the future today! We are all trying to help humanity to get just a little bit closer to the summit of the mountain of human knowledge, progress and etc. We will never really reach the summit itself. There will always been work to do. We shall never stop thou! Thanks for your time!
Thanks again,
bendallf

1 - 20 of 35 Posts