Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

$399 + tax for the unit
Get $300 charging credit on the Blink Network, tend to be more expensive than other public charging sites though
Get 30% savings on your 2020 taxes = $120

Just about free?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Historically, Blink-branded chargers have been the least reliable in existence. I wouldn't even consider depending on the Blink network to "pay back" the cost of a Blink EVSE that I wouldn't buy in the first place.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got a Blink HQ years ago when I first got my Leaf. I think it was a similar deal.
It came in handy then, as the Leaf had an 80-ish mile range and my commute is 120 miles round trip.
There is a West Coast Electric Highway quick charger halfway (and that is $20/month unlimited Chademo/L2) that I would use, but as that wasn't where I worked, I would QC or L2 frequently. There is a Chademo QC very close that the State and Nissan set up that was free, except you had to plug the meter. So usually I would do that, and for like $2, I would QC while checking e-mails before work. But if someone was there when I drove by, I'd have to do something else and that was usually a Blink L2.
So I used all of the charge credit in the year (I think you had to use it within a year).
Of course, now I have a Bolt and almost never QC or L2 when out... ;-)
(Note: That Blink HQ is still running great 5 years on..)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I got a Blink HQ years ago when I first got my Leaf. I think it was a similar deal.
It came in handy then, as the Leaf had an 80-ish mile range and my commute is 120 miles round trip.
There is a West Coast Electric Highway quick charger halfway (and that is $20/month unlimited Chademo/L2) that I would use, but as that wasn't where I worked, I would QC or L2 frequently. There is a Chademo QC very close that the State and Nissan set up that was free, except you had to plug the meter. So usually I would do that, and for like $2, I would QC while checking e-mails before work. But if someone was there when I drove by, I'd have to do something else and that was usually a Blink L2.
So I used all of the charge credit in the year (I think you had to use it within a year).
Of course, now I have a Bolt and almost never QC or L2 when out... ;-)
(Note: That Blink HQ is still running great 5 years on..)
Perhaps they've upped their game. Blink's hardware was trash when first deployed, ten or more years ago.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Perhaps they've upped their game. Blink's hardware was trash when first deployed, ten or more years ago.
I don't think my Blink HQ EVSE is actually a Blink made one.
It's not the fancy model, it just has a button I can press to delay the start 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours.
I think it is a rebranded other EVSE.

I seem to remember reading posts of people having problems with the fancier Blink model...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts