Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just perusing the interwebs when I came upon this article over at Time to Electrify. They have an article which discusses the Ontario Gov't providing free overnight electric vehicle charging at your home! How phenomenal would that be!!!!????

Here's the page :Ontario’s new electric vehicle incentives – timetable and intended funding

2.3 Free overnight electric vehicle charging: The province intends to establish a four-year free overnight electric vehicle-charging program for residential and multi-unit residential customers starting in 2017. Charging electric cars at night can help balance electricity system demands and potentially reduce costs associated with exporting excess electricity overnight. Ontario intends to work with utilities to transition this program to an optional enhanced time-of-day charging program. The goal would be to lower overall electricity bills for homes that charge vehicles. Timetable: Action Start 2016. Intended funding: $15,000,000.

It looks like they haven't implemented this yet, but it sounds like they are still working on it and that it might still come to fruition.

Also of interest is the elimination of HST on future EV purchases. I guess our Bolts won't apply, but for future EV purchasers, this is quite a bit of savings. I wonder if they would make it retroactive back to our Bolt purchases?

2.2 Eliminate HST on zero emission vehicles: Ontario will work with the federal government to explore ways to provide full-HST relief to purchasers of new battery electric vehicles, with the objective of introducing this relief by 2018. Timetable: Action Start 2017-2018

·
Registered
7 Posts
That would be fantastic - I wonder if the HST rebate would replace the straight line $14,000 rebate. I imagine they'd have a tough time justifying both incentives.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be fantastic - I wonder if the HST rebate would replace the straight line $14,000 rebate. I imagine they'd have a tough time justifying both incentives.
Agreed, I think there would be quite the backlash. But if they offer both, it would be foolish for people to pass up purchasing an EV. Regardless, I'm happy with the $14k rebate for my Bolt and I'll be ecstatic if they bring in the free home charging. I'm pumped that I can 'fill up' the Bolt at home, making it free would be the icing on the cake. Now the patient waiting for our Bolt to arrive...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder how they are going to do it. It's not practical (I hope) to add another electrical meter. Maybe they give a credit on 7pm - 7am electricity rate based on car you have. For my vote, just give me some money. (emoticons don't seem to work)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how they are going to do it. It's not practical (I hope) to add another electrical meter. Maybe they give a credit on 7pm - 7am electricity rate based on car you have. For my vote, just give me some money. (emoticons don't seem to work)
I suspect you're right. A rebate on the 7pm to 7am rate would certainly be the easiest. But knowing the Ontario Gov't, they'll raise the delivery fee by a proportional amount lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They will likely link it to those who applied for the L2 charger rebate.
BTW the L2 charger is a must for the Bolt. I have had my Bolt since March 18 and am already kicking myself for not getting the charger set up before hand.
I am picking up the charger tomorrow and having it installed ASAP.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They will likely link it to those who applied for the L2 charger rebate.
BTW the L2 charger is a must for the Bolt. I have had my Bolt since March 18 and am already kicking myself for not getting the charger set up before hand.
I am picking up the charger tomorrow and having it installed ASAP.
Good call! I'm placing an order today for a Chargepoint Home. I want it installed long before our car arrives.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am an BEV owner (Leaf) for the last 4 years and a tax paying Ontarian for most of my 65 years. I hope to soon be a Bolt owner. I have received a rebate for both my Leaf and for a home EVSE. Except for rebates for BEV and PHEV in the under $50,000 category Ontario should not be in the EV promotion business. The Ontario government is horrible at this task. They recently finished a program to make travel in Ontario easier for EV drivers for about $20,000,000. Three stations alongside the 850 km 401 and one alongside the 225 km 400. Two of the most travelled roads in North America. Hundreds and hundreds of km unserviced by rapid charge stations. For $20,000,000. Yes there are stations now scattered about the province that may make travel better for someone, especially if they have to wait for a teller at a Scotiabank, but as a plan to make travel easier for EV drivers they are a terrible waste of taxpayer money. EV drivers already charge at night, we do not need to spend millions of dollars to encourage it. We need to spend our EV money efficiently, where it will have the greatest impact and do the most good, and to not go bankrupt. And we need to drive cars like the Bolt, and to have fun doing it. IMO

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
...Two of the most travelled roads in North America. Hundreds and hundreds of km unserviced by rapid charge stations...
Ontario is still planning to outfit the TCH with charging stations along its length, as far as I know. And to be fair, I think installations have been on a hiatus over winter, I expect you'll see them resume again in spring. Just yesterday I saw a couple of new charging stations appear on PlugShare along highways here in BC.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am an BEV owner (Leaf) for the last 4 years and a tax paying Ontarian for most of my 65 years. I hope to soon be a Bolt owner. I have received a rebate for both my Leaf and for a home EVSE. Except for rebates for BEV and PHEV in the under $50,000 category Ontario should not be in the EV promotion business. The Ontario government is horrible at this task. They recently finished a program to make travel in Ontario easier for EV drivers for about $20,000,000. Three stations alongside the 850 km 401 and one alongside the 225 km 400. Two of the most travelled roads in North America. Hundreds and hundreds of km unserviced by rapid charge stations. For $20,000,000. Yes there are stations now scattered about the province that may make travel better for someone, especially if they have to wait for a teller at a Scotiabank, but as a plan to make travel easier for EV drivers they are a terrible waste of taxpayer money. EV drivers already charge at night, we do not need to spend millions of dollars to encourage it. We need to spend our EV money efficiently, where it will have the greatest impact and do the most good, and to not go bankrupt. And we need to drive cars like the Bolt, and to have fun doing it. IMO
I certainly hope they deal with the lack of DC fast chargers along the 401 and 400. We already have the ONroute stations strategically placed along the corridors. Install of DC fast charges is a no brainer, but I haven't seen them installed yet. And not just one or two. They need to install 10+ at these locations due to the volume of traffic. And that's just to start. I see Timmie's and Scotiabanks now have some DC fast chargers installed due to this subsidy, but have you guys seen the prices!? Upwards of $15 per SESSION. They both need to give their heads a shake if they think any EV owners will use those stations at those prices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I certainly hope they deal with the lack of DC fast chargers along the 401 and 400. We already have the ONroute stations strategically placed along the corridors. Install of DC fast charges is a no brainer, but I haven't seen them installed yet. And not just one or two. They need to install 10+ at these locations due to the volume of traffic. And that's just to start. I see Timmie's and Scotiabanks now have some DC fast chargers installed due to this subsidy, but have you guys seen the prices!? Upwards of $15 per SESSION. They both need to give their heads a shake if they think any EV owners will use those stations at those prices.
I don't view those prices as being a problem if you're just doing a road trip. Its not like many others will be depending on them for the bulk of their charging...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think they spent a good chunk of the money on the ten, count em, ten fast chargers at Pearson Airport.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm skeptical that we will actually end up getting free overnight EV charging without increased costs in the on-peak and mid-peak rates. I know the Ontario Energy Board is in the midst of pilot studies to compare alternative time-of-use rates. See, for example, this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/new-electricity-pricing-1.4266033

I wonder if the plan is to offer an optional free off-peak rate for EV owners that is coupled to more expensive on-peak and mid-peak rates?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Also of interest is the elimination of HST on future EV purchases. I guess our Bolts won't apply, but for future EV purchasers, this is quite a bit of savings. I wonder if they would make it retroactive back to our Bolt purchases?
This was one of the reasons I was originally wanting to order and wait on a 2018 (election campaign in the new year makes it more likely this will happen in some shape), but my impatience got the better of me ;)

Retroactive rebates are highly unlikely; I know a Volt owner who took delivery a couple of weeks before the ON rebate was bumped up to $14k and was unsuccessful in convincing (with a lot of effort) the government to grant him the additional rebate.

Pure speculation here, but I don't think it will be full HST relief if it does happen. Ontario already has the highest level of rebate available, and with their tenuous polling numbers, even more money going out as rebates could be used as strong political ammunition against them in the campaign. I'm guessing relief on the federal portion (GST) is more likely, as it would be used nationally (like the credit in the US), and wouldn't portrayed as the Wynne govt spending even more money from the public purse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts