Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,202 Posts
As a prospective buyer myself, would you mind sharing what exactly made your installations “non standard”?
Probably anything other than the ability to add the charger within 5' of the panel and the panel must have open slots to add the breakers. Basically unless you could do it yourself for $100 in parts it will be deemed non-standard. Just a guess but after dealing with electricians I expect to be close to right.

Running 100' of wire is going will be $200-$300 by itself for the wire. Then add conduit and labor.

Here is the thing. If you drive less than 60 miles a day a L2 240v EVSE is not needed. Buy a good 120v 12-15amp EVSE and be done. It is nice to have the 240v but by no means required. You can even use the one that comes with the car.

I hate to say it but I feel the "free" L2 install is more of a marketing ploy than an honest attempt to help the customer. If you see it as that then you may be less disappointed.

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,202 Posts
We were lucky I guess, for our 2022 Bolt we had a "standard" installation I guess, the only extra cost we had was the actual adapter-and-chord, for about $200.

I am very curious about getting a Tesla adaptor that will work with our Bolt, didn't know that was an option. We have more Tesla fast charging stations in our state right now (New Mexico) than J1722. What would we buy, and would that allow us to use Tesla charging stations?
This will allow you to use any Tesla Destination or Home Charger (Not a Supercharger). I have one that I have only used a couple of times as a test but I keep in the car for the "Just In Case" scenario. The Tesla Destination chargers are very good EVSE's and this will allow you to use one of those as your primary home charger.

[Only for J1772 EVs] Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger, and Mobile Connector Only (White) : Automotive (amazon.com)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts