Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 LT
91 Posts
As a brand new 2022 Bolt EV owner, I'm extremely disappointed in Chevy's "free installation" program. Chevy has serup a group, QMerit, to oversee Level 2 home installations. QMerit (or someone) "qualifies" electriclal installers for home installations. (Installer qualification requirements are unknown.) Once your dealer gets you into the free installation program, you take pictures of your electrical panel, garage and electric meter. The installer uses these pictures to estimate installation costs. He soesn't actually visit your home, which would provide a more accurate estimate. In my case, the QMerit qualified installer decided that we needed to replace my entire electrical service for about $3300, which less Chevy's $1000 allowance, left me with $2300 out of pocket. I'm a retired engineer, so this seemed a bit exorbitant. A local licensed electrical service quoted $631 to install a Level 2 220 volt, 60 amp outlet using my existing electrical panel. You should know also that Chevy's Level 2 charging cord is not included and is a bit pricey. Lower cost alternatives are available (the connector to the Bolt is a J1722 and the connector to the wall socket is a NEMA 14-50 Tesla uses a proprietary connector, so if you want to charge at a Tesla station, you'll need an adaptor to connect the Tesla plug to a J1722 plug.)

If you don't want the "free installation" offer, Chevy offers a $500 credit for charging at EVGO charging stations. Just like there are different gas station brands, there are different EV charging station brands. EVGO is one brant, Electrify America is another, Tesla is another. In my case, the closest EVGO charging station is 75 miles away. There are Tesla and Electrify America charging stations about 3 miles away. For me, Chevy's EVGO credit is useless. If Chevy really wanted to entice Bolt buyers, they'd trust licensed electricians to know what they're doing, and they'd offer a charging credit that could be used at any EV charging station.

Lastly, the Chevy dealer that sold us our Bolt didn't know about Chevy's "free installation" program. I had to ask him about it. He got uss into the program, but as above, it's been a disappointment, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to train the dealer.

I should say that my wife and I are quite happy with our new 2022 Bolt. We bought it to toodle arount town for groceries, appointments, short local trips, etc., for which it's perfiect. Trips longer than haff the battery charge are as yet impractical. There aren't enough charging stations especially in rural areas, and it takes more time to charge the battery than to fill the gas tank. We have a hybrid for longer trips. We're trying to go green, but there's a lot of work yet to be done.

Thanks for letting me gripe.
I am waiting on the OTD for a 2022 EUV LT. Good to know how the QMerit program works. Can understand your disappointment. I believe 2022 EUVs come with the dual level charging cord.

·
Registered
2020 LT
91 Posts
My desire was to put the fastest charging system in that my home could support without any significant changes. The electrician said that a 48 amp system could be stressful to my service I have now. So I went with 40 amp service.
I want the option if needed to charge in a couple hours or get as close to that as possible. Also it might benefit me in the long run with future vehicles and charging two vehicles at a time off the same plug by sending 20 amps to each car at the same time. If I'm going to put all this in it's far better if possible to future proof it than upgrade it.
That is my plan, get the most I can to "future proof", the installation, so to speak.

·
Registered
2020 LT
91 Posts
I went through the Qmerit deal on my '221LT but was also told my situation was non-standard so I got the EVgo credit which I still have $400 remaining. Can I use that credit on an L2 Charepoint public charger? If so, how do I link the EVgo account to chargepoint account?
What condition exists to make it "non-standard"?

·
Registered
2020 LT
91 Posts
As a brand new 2022 Bolt EV owner, I'm extremely disappointed in Chevy's "free installation" program. Chevy has serup a group, QMerit, to oversee Level 2 home installations. QMerit (or someone) "qualifies" electriclal installers for home installations. (Installer qualification requirements are unknown.) Once your dealer gets you into the free installation program, you take pictures of your electrical panel, garage and electric meter. The installer uses these pictures to estimate installation costs. He soesn't actually visit your home, which would provide a more accurate estimate. In my case, the QMerit qualified installer decided that we needed to replace my entire electrical service for about $3300, which less Chevy's $1000 allowance, left me with $2300 out of pocket. I'm a retired engineer, so this seemed a bit exorbitant. A local licensed electrical service quoted $631 to install a Level 2 220 volt, 60 amp outlet using my existing electrical panel. You should know also that Chevy's Level 2 charging cord is not included and is a bit pricey. Lower cost alternatives are available (the connector to the Bolt is a J1722 and the connector to the wall socket is a NEMA 14-50 Tesla uses a proprietary connector, so if you want to charge at a Tesla station, you'll need an adaptor to connect the Tesla plug to a J1722 plug.)

If you don't want the "free installation" offer, Chevy offers a $500 credit for charging at EVGO charging stations. Just like there are different gas station brands, there are different EV charging station brands. EVGO is one brant, Electrify America is another, Tesla is another. In my case, the closest EVGO charging station is 75 miles away. There are Tesla and Electrify America charging stations about 3 miles away. For me, Chevy's EVGO credit is useless. If Chevy really wanted to entice Bolt buyers, they'd trust licensed electricians to know what they're doing, and they'd offer a charging credit that could be used at any EV charging station.

Lastly, the Chevy dealer that sold us our Bolt didn't know about Chevy's "free installation" program. I had to ask him about it. He got uss into the program, but as above, it's been a disappointment, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to train the dealer.

I should say that my wife and I are quite happy with our new 2022 Bolt. We bought it to toodle arount town for groceries, appointments, short local trips, etc., for which it's perfiect. Trips longer than haff the battery charge are as yet impractical. There aren't enough charging stations especially in rural areas, and it takes more time to charge the battery than to fill the gas tank. We have a hybrid for longer trips. We're trying to go green, but there's a lot of work yet to be done.

Thanks for letting me gripe.
I was quoted by a QMerit contractor, $1,600.00 with ($1600.00) credit for install, panel in basement, so there was some kind of surcharge. There is a $200.00 permit fee with ($200) credit. They will install 40A breaker run 6ga wire and install NEMA 14/50 outlet. They would install a 40A charger instead if I have purchased one. I don't see the benefit of the charger over the 14/50. Am I missing something?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts