Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Do you need to upgrade your service? If you do, a cost of 2-3K is not unreasonable.
The link below is to a calculator where you can determine if you have sufficient capacity to add another circuit. The space in your panel is not usually the issue (add a sub panel or use slim breakers). If a permit is required, you normally have to submit the calculations as determined by the below calculator.
Electrical Load Calculations for Residential Panel - Online Load Calculator

·
Registered
278 Posts
The "Free" installation is a real disappointing myth and bad PR for GM. What a joke.

You better off going w/ a third party installer to save $ and get the free EvGo $500 credits...

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,961 Posts
Panel is in the basement. Wire would have to run through a drop ceiling to the attached garage. Probably a 30-40 ft run of wire and conduit. There is no room in my panel. However the two local electricians said they could install tandem breakers to free up space. The Qmerit installer said I need a new sub panel which doubled the price. There is only one Qmerit installer in my area so there is no second opinion.
How much would it cost to have the local electricians just install the tandem breakers to free up space? Then ask QMerit for a new quote.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used the installation program. It was all done in less than a week. They ran 50 ft to my garage, put a new 50 amp breaker in. I installed juice box 40 and it is awesome.
I didn't pay anything. The first quote that came in the electrical company called me to ask for more information. I made the deal right then with him and scheduled the install, then went on my phone and accepted the quote with qmerit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am evaluating a Qmerit quote myself. I'm in Dallas area, my install is non-standard. I don't have any space on my panel left, all of my breakers are already doubled up. But the electrician said rather than swap out a new panel itself they consulted the city inspector and found out I could just have a 100a sub-panel installed. The cost to have a 100a sub-panel installed with a double-pole breaker for my EVSE and install a 240v outlet was $1779. So after GM credit I'm looking at $779 to get the 16 slot sub-panel and a 240v outlet. The installer will absorb the cost of the permit in the installation. I think I'm ok with the price, I haven't shopped around yet but I know costs have gone up in this environment. Getting a new panel was going to be double. I did get a quote from a different local installer last year to get a panel swap out for $1700 last year but not sure if that also included the outlet.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,352 Posts
The cost to have a 100a sub-panel installed with a double-pole breaker for my EVSE and install a 240v outlet was $1779. So after GM credit I'm looking at $779 to get the 16 slot sub-panel and a 240v outlet.
Certainly get another bid, just to be sure. But that doesn't sound like a bad price for the work accomplished.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Probably anything other than the ability to add the charger within 5' of the panel and the panel must have open slots to add the breakers. ..... [etc.]

Here is the thing. If you [mostly] drive less than 60 miles a day a L2 240v EVSE is not needed. Buy a good 120v 12-15amp EVSE and be done. It is nice to have the 240v but by no means required. You can even use the one that comes with the car.....
I roundly second OkieBolt's "if" that he has above.
We typically drive less than 60 miles a day... not infrequently 80 or 90. Three times a year maybe at most over 250 miles.
We've lived totally happily with stock OEM 120 volt chargers now for 9 years (8 years with an MiEV, and one year with our 2021 Bolt.
In that time there might've been maybe two days when it would have been nice to have a level-2 charger in the garage.
On one occasion where I wanted to put on more charge faster than the home 120 volt would I parked at a free city level-2 charger 1/2 mile from my home. Worst case was one day when we'd done a 200 mile round trip and arrived home with only 60 miles estimated range on the GOM; we plugged in overnight and by morning had about 110 miles range... more than comfortable for our next typical day's use. And over the next day and a half back up to full charge.

Here's one or two potential benefits of 120 volt charging over level-2:
# I don't have hard data... but I strongly suspect that battery life is greater with slower charging. (at pluginamerica.org they write "plugging in on level 1 instead of level 2 is technically better for overall battery life and health." though they suggest it's not a big difference.
# Although the fire risk is extremely small (particularly with the newer Bolts, even if you're not following GM's don't charge over 80% for now suggestion) I suggest it's even lower when charging at the slower 120volt rates.

Of course that's Okie's and my "if." If you commonly put on more than say 90 miles per day without a charger at your distinction you'd be constrained with only 120 volt OEM charging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a brand new 2022 Bolt EV owner, I'm extremely disappointed in Chevy's "free installation" program. Chevy has serup a group, QMerit, to oversee Level 2 home installations. QMerit (or someone) "qualifies" electriclal installers for home installations. (Installer qualification requirements are unknown.) Once your dealer gets you into the free installation program, you take pictures of your electrical panel, garage and electric meter. The installer uses these pictures to estimate installation costs. He soesn't actually visit your home, which would provide a more accurate estimate. In my case, the QMerit qualified installer decided that we needed to replace my entire electrical service for about $3300, which less Chevy's $1000 allowance, left me with $2300 out of pocket. I'm a retired engineer, so this seemed a bit exorbitant. A local licensed electrical service quoted $631 to install a Level 2 220 volt, 60 amp outlet using my existing electrical panel. You should know also that Chevy's Level 2 charging cord is not included and is a bit pricey. Lower cost alternatives are available (the connector to the Bolt is a J1722 and the connector to the wall socket is a NEMA 14-50 Tesla uses a proprietary connector, so if you want to charge at a Tesla station, you'll need an adaptor to connect the Tesla plug to a J1722 plug.)

If you don't want the "free installation" offer, Chevy offers a $500 credit for charging at EVGO charging stations. Just like there are different gas station brands, there are different EV charging station brands. EVGO is one brant, Electrify America is another, Tesla is another. In my case, the closest EVGO charging station is 75 miles away. There are Tesla and Electrify America charging stations about 3 miles away. For me, Chevy's EVGO credit is useless. If Chevy really wanted to entice Bolt buyers, they'd trust licensed electricians to know what they're doing, and they'd offer a charging credit that could be used at any EV charging station.

Lastly, the Chevy dealer that sold us our Bolt didn't know about Chevy's "free installation" program. I had to ask him about it. He got uss into the program, but as above, it's been a disappointment, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to train the dealer.

I should say that my wife and I are quite happy with our new 2022 Bolt. We bought it to toodle arount town for groceries, appointments, short local trips, etc., for which it's perfiect. Trips longer than haff the battery charge are as yet impractical. There aren't enough charging stations especially in rural areas, and it takes more time to charge the battery than to fill the gas tank. We have a hybrid for longer trips. We're trying to go green, but there's a lot of work yet to be done.

Thanks for letting me gripe.
We were lucky I guess, for our 2022 Bolt we had a "standard" installation I guess, the only extra cost we had was the actual adapter-and-chord, for about $200.

I am very curious about getting a Tesla adaptor that will work with our Bolt, didn't know that was an option. We have more Tesla fast charging stations in our state right now (New Mexico) than J1722. What would we buy, and would that allow us to use Tesla charging stations?

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,202 Posts
We were lucky I guess, for our 2022 Bolt we had a "standard" installation I guess, the only extra cost we had was the actual adapter-and-chord, for about $200.

I am very curious about getting a Tesla adaptor that will work with our Bolt, didn't know that was an option. We have more Tesla fast charging stations in our state right now (New Mexico) than J1722. What would we buy, and would that allow us to use Tesla charging stations?
This will allow you to use any Tesla Destination or Home Charger (Not a Supercharger). I have one that I have only used a couple of times as a test but I keep in the car for the "Just In Case" scenario. The Tesla Destination chargers are very good EVSE's and this will allow you to use one of those as your primary home charger.

[Only for J1772 EVs] Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger, and Mobile Connector Only (White) : Automotive (amazon.com)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My desire was to put the fastest charging system in that my home could support without any significant changes. The electrician said that a 48 amp system could be stressful to my service I have now. So I went with 40 amp service.
I want the option if needed to charge in a couple hours or get as close to that as possible. Also it might benefit me in the long run with future vehicles and charging two vehicles at a time off the same plug by sending 20 amps to each car at the same time. If I'm going to put all this in it's far better if possible to future proof it than upgrade it.

·
Registered
2020 LT
91 Posts
My desire was to put the fastest charging system in that my home could support without any significant changes. The electrician said that a 48 amp system could be stressful to my service I have now. So I went with 40 amp service.
I want the option if needed to charge in a couple hours or get as close to that as possible. Also it might benefit me in the long run with future vehicles and charging two vehicles at a time off the same plug by sending 20 amps to each car at the same time. If I'm going to put all this in it's far better if possible to future proof it than upgrade it.
That is my plan, get the most I can to "future proof", the installation, so to speak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went through the Qmerit deal on my '221LT but was also told my situation was non-standard so I got the EVgo credit which I still have $400 remaining. Can I use that credit on an L2 Charepoint public charger? If so, how do I link the EVgo account to chargepoint account?

·
Registered
2020 LT
91 Posts
I went through the Qmerit deal on my '221LT but was also told my situation was non-standard so I got the EVgo credit which I still have $400 remaining. Can I use that credit on an L2 Charepoint public charger? If so, how do I link the EVgo account to chargepoint account?
What condition exists to make it "non-standard"?

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
355 Posts
Yes, you can use it on any Chargepoint charger. An EVgo customer service rep told me that the easiest way to use the credit at a CP unit is to use a free Program Card that EVgo will send you. You can use it at EVgo or CP chargers. I have the card, but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Please make sure you understand that the adaptors work for Tesla Destination and Home chargers (L2), not Superchargers (DCFC).

This will allow you to use any Tesla Destination or Home Charger (Not a Supercharger). I have one that I have only used a couple of times as a test but I keep in the car for the "Just In Case" scenario. The Tesla Destination chargers are very good EVSE's and this will allow you to use one of those as your primary home charger.

[Only for J1772 EVs] Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger, and Mobile Connector Only (White) : Automotive (amazon.com)
I was given this 48A version of the Lectron adapter as a birthday gift it's nice and compact. Very substantial feeling too. Gotta say the price they are asking now is ludicrous. I would never pay that. It was $160 when it was bought for me.

I tested it at my neighbor's house a couple of days ago and it worked perfectly. The EUV pulled the full 40A the Tesla EVSE could provide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What condition exists to make it "non-standard"?
After sending the pictures of the garage, breaker/panel and disclosing I live in a condo/townhome, out of 6 local contractors, only 1 supplied a bid of approx. $2800 to supply me with a seperate electrical source/install/permit/labor since total Amps per condo unit is 100A and the existing breaker panel totals 90A. I'd say thats pretty non-standard. BTW, 1/3 of that is an existing 10-30 non-used gas dryer outlet so I'm just using the Bolts EVSE 240V/12A and adapter thing to charge around 11 miles an hour. This is good enough for my needs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, you can use it on any Chargepoint charger. An EVgo customer service rep told me that the easiest way to use the credit at a CP unit is to use a free Program Card that EVgo will send you. You can use it at EVgo or CP chargers. I have the card, but haven't tried it yet.
Thanks for the info. I have an EVgo card so I'll try it next time I'm at a Chargepoint L2 which there seem to be more of. I was told from one source that the credit lasts only 2 years (another one told me 3yrs) so this might be a way to consume as much of the credit as I can.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
355 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have an EVgo card so I'll try it next time I'm at a Chargepoint L2 which there seem to be more of. I was told from one source that the credit lasts only 2 years (another one told me 3yrs) so this might be a way to consume as much of the credit as I can.
On your CP app, look under Payment & Billing, then Transactions. My credit balance shows there, along with the phrase "No Expiration" :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Probably anything other than the ability to add the charger within 5' of the panel and the panel must have open slots to add the breakers. Basically unless you could do it yourself for $100 in parts it will be deemed non-standard. Just a guess but after dealing with electricians I expect to be close to right.

Running 100' of wire is going will be $200-$300 by itself for the wire. Then add conduit and labor.

Here is the thing. If you drive less than 60 miles a day a L2 240v EVSE is not needed. Buy a good 120v 12-15amp EVSE and be done. It is nice to have the 240v but by no means required. You can even use the one that comes with the car.

I hate to say it but I feel the "free" L2 install is more of a marketing ploy than an honest attempt to help the customer. If you see it as that then you may be less disappointed.
I’m not sure this statement is entirely accurate. I would drop the Miles to about 40 miles per day. You have to take into account winter conditions. This being running of heaters and pre-conditioning of cars.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts