Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
After a lot of debating on this, we opted for the $500 EVgo credit instead of the home install. There were 3 primary reasons for this:

1) Long Wait - If you read the find print, the T&C's from Chevy & Qmerit state they have up to 6 months to complete the install from the date of vehicle delivery. I talked to Qmerit customer service and they said their installers are running about 90+ days for install in our area. Because of our 110 mile (roundtrip) commute each day, we need Level 2 charging from Day 1 after getting the car. Level 1 won't cut it for us. Going local for the install will allow us to have the 50 amp outlet installed before the vehicle gets here.
2) Out of Area for Qmerit - We live in a rural area and out of Qmerit's normal coverage area. When I spoke to them, they said that wouldn't subcontract out the install to any of the licensed & bonded electricians here in town. They would have to use an in-network electrician and just have them drive the 50 miles to our house. They did warn me this automatically made our install a "non-standard" install and thus allowed them to charge more without ever looking at our house. That set of some warning bells for me.
3) Perception of "Double Dipping" - I've read time & again here and elsewhere about Qmerit's reputation for "double dipping" under this agreement. They charge extreme amounts for installations so they can get their $1,000 payout from Chevy and then get additional cash from the customer. Our local electrician quoted $1,700 for the installation of a 50 amp outlet in our garage. That included 75' of wiring from the service panel to the garage (opposite sides of the house), materials, and labor. We opted for that. Whether the claims about Qmerit are true or not, they came up frequent enough to make me not want to do business with them.

While we don't have a lot of EVgo chargers in our area, there are plenty of them in or on the way to several "road trip" worthy destinations in our region. There are also several ChargePointe locations as well and they have a roaming agreement with EVgo (not sure about ElectrifyAmerica...don't think so). Either way, my wife & I figured the $500 credit would encourage us to take some short road trips. The $500 credit also good for 3 years...so that was a positive as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone know if its possible to change to the EvGo credit if the Qmerit quote is way out of range?
My sales guy said (so take it with a grain of salt) that if Qmerit comes back with a crazy quote that we can reject it and just go with the $500 EVgo credit. I would like to believe him but I have learned that sales people would prefer to just make something up than use the term, "I don't know."

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
436 Posts
My sales guy said (so take it with a grain of salt) that if Qmerit comes back with a crazy quote that we can reject it and just go with the $500 EVgo credit. I would like to believe him but I have learned that sales people would prefer to just make something up than use the term, "I don't know."
Also take this with a grain of salt, but my sales guy said that once I made a choice, I couldn't change it. I already had a 240V circuit, so I opted for the EVgo credit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also take this with a grain of salt, but my sales guy said that once I made a choice, I couldn't change it. I already had a 240V circuit, so I opted for the EVgo credit.
haha. This does not surprise me in the slightest. The inconsistency between dealer to dealer and even salesperson to salesperson within the same dealer is pretty staggering.

We're going to opt for the credit as well. Mainly because we need access to Lvl 2 charging at home immediately, but we tossed around the idea of seeing what Qmerit's quote would be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First I had to repeatedly call Qmerit to find someone willing to give me a quote. I already had three quotes from local electricians for about $1500 for a 50A circuit and a 50 ft run to the garage. Finally Qmerit found someone who quoted me $3,000 for a 40A circuit from looking at iPhone photos. Qmerit said they would find someone else. They never did. Not impressed. Went with a local installer and took the $500 EVGo credit.

·
Registered
2020 LT
120 Posts
As a brand new 2022 Bolt EV owner, I'm extremely disappointed in Chevy's "free installation" program. Chevy has serup a group, QMerit, to oversee Level 2 home installations. QMerit (or someone) "qualifies" electriclal installers for home installations. (Installer qualification requirements are unknown.) Once your dealer gets you into the free installation program, you take pictures of your electrical panel, garage and electric meter. The installer uses these pictures to estimate installation costs. He soesn't actually visit your home, which would provide a more accurate estimate. In my case, the QMerit qualified installer decided that we needed to replace my entire electrical service for about $3300, which less Chevy's $1000 allowance, left me with $2300 out of pocket. I'm a retired engineer, so this seemed a bit exorbitant. A local licensed electrical service quoted $631 to install a Level 2 220 volt, 60 amp outlet using my existing electrical panel. You should know also that Chevy's Level 2 charging cord is not included and is a bit pricey. Lower cost alternatives are available (the connector to the Bolt is a J1722 and the connector to the wall socket is a NEMA 14-50 Tesla uses a proprietary connector, so if you want to charge at a Tesla station, you'll need an adaptor to connect the Tesla plug to a J1722 plug.)

If you don't want the "free installation" offer, Chevy offers a $500 credit for charging at EVGO charging stations. Just like there are different gas station brands, there are different EV charging station brands. EVGO is one brant, Electrify America is another, Tesla is another. In my case, the closest EVGO charging station is 75 miles away. There are Tesla and Electrify America charging stations about 3 miles away. For me, Chevy's EVGO credit is useless. If Chevy really wanted to entice Bolt buyers, they'd trust licensed electricians to know what they're doing, and they'd offer a charging credit that could be used at any EV charging station.

Lastly, the Chevy dealer that sold us our Bolt didn't know about Chevy's "free installation" program. I had to ask him about it. He got uss into the program, but as above, it's been a disappointment, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to train the dealer.

I should say that my wife and I are quite happy with our new 2022 Bolt. We bought it to toodle arount town for groceries, appointments, short local trips, etc., for which it's perfiect. Trips longer than haff the battery charge are as yet impractical. There aren't enough charging stations especially in rural areas, and it takes more time to charge the battery than to fill the gas tank. We have a hybrid for longer trips. We're trying to go green, but there's a lot of work yet to be done.

Thanks for letting me gripe.
I was quoted by a QMerit contractor, $1,600.00 with ($1600.00) credit for install, panel in basement, so there was some kind of surcharge. There is a $200.00 permit fee with ($200) credit. They will install 40A breaker run 6ga wire and install NEMA 14/50 outlet. They would install a 40A charger instead if I have purchased one. I don't see the benefit of the charger over the 14/50. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wanted the 1450 receptacle. It seems more versatile, even though I put a juice box 40 plugged into it to be able to control my amps to charge with the solar and battery output and other reasons.
I would have them put a 50 amp breaker in. 40 and 50 amp breakers use the same 6 gauge aluminum or 8 gauge copper. wire

·
Registered
41 Posts
First I had to repeatedly call Qmerit to find someone willing to give me a quote. I already had three quotes from local electricians for about $1500 for a 50A circuit and a 50 ft run to the garage. Finally Qmerit found someone who quoted me $3,000 for a 40A circuit from looking at iPhone photos. Qmerit said they would find someone else. They never did. Not impressed. Went with a local installer and took the $500 EVGo credit.
If I'm reading your post correctly...you were able to change your mind AFTER you made your initial choice at the dealership? I.E. The dealer submitted your paperwork for the Qmerit install and then after getting the install quotes you decided to go with the $500 credit?

Just curious because several folks have said that their dealers told them once they make a decision, there's no turning back. Meaning if Qmerit comes with a crazy price, they can't opt to switch to the $500 EVgo credit at that point.

We've already decided to go with the $500 credit since we're having a 14-50 outlet installed in the garage before we take delivery of our Bolt. However, I'm hoping your answer can help others.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
931 Posts
Just curious because several folks have said that their dealers told them once they make a decision, there's no turning back. Meaning if Qmerit comes with a crazy price, they can't opt to switch to the $500 EVgo credit at that point.
The last source of information you should ever trust would be a dealer or salesperson.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The last source of information you should ever trust would be a dealer or salesperson.
Sad but true.

Storytime (Skip if you don't want to hear a story about the evolution of sales in the car industry):

I purchased a Toyota back in 2012. That salesperson was a 20+ year career guy. We ended up talking more about the evolution of the car industry that he'd seen over his career than we did on my actual purchase. I remember him saying how owners of car dealerships no longer considered the sales position to be a "career" anymore. It used to be a high paying position that people would spend years in. It's now a low paying, churn & burn type of position. They used to send salespeople to trainings before each new model came out to learn about the car so they could sell it more effectively. Nowadays (at least back in 2012), he said that salespeople get hired and basically get told to look on the manufacturer's website. There's little to no actual training or knowledge transfer anymore. He said there was no way he would go into the industry today. Sad.

It's funny because I asked him why he never went into the finance side of the industry...since that seems to be the normal progression of salespeople wanting to move up. I laughed when he said something to effect, "Nah. That's where the car industry gets really sleezy. I'm happy just working with customers to get them into a car that makes them happy."

I've purchased 2 cars since then: a new Tundra 2021 and this Chevy Bolt EUV. Both times, my wife & I knew more details about the vehicle than the salesperson. Outside of using the salesperson to negotiate our cash purchase price, both salespeople were pretty useless in the process except to be paper pushers.

·
Registered
941 Posts
@Seebradgo : I’m in the Automation field and hear the “we don’t get any training” mantra, too. You know what I say (??) ... “get off your * and show some initiative to learn on your own!” People are just too ** lazy, or they think “if they’re not gonna spoon-feed me the training, then I’m just gonna sit on my *** over here”.

Really ticks me off! And honestly ... how hard would it be to train yourself to sell cars??? C’mon ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have an EVgo card so I'll try it next time I'm at a Chargepoint L2 which there seem to be more of. I was told from one source that the credit lasts only 2 years (another one told me 3yrs) so this might be a way to consume as much of the credit as I can.
On your CP app, look under Payment & Billing, then Transactions. My credit balance shows there, along with the phrase "No Expiration" :)
I'm not too concerned about the 'no expiration' on Chargepoint app. They just keep taking $10 off your CC when your balance goes below $5. However, I did confirm that for EVgo the credit expires after 3 years so I'm good until September 2024. And I did confirm over the weekend that they're taking it out of the credit so I appreciate what I've learned here. I guess the only disadvantage is you can't use the CP app to see a running cost/kw while charging and EVgo sends you 2 emails: 1 saying you started charging and 2 saying what it cost you when you completed.

Of course you can always use the Chevy app to see your running battery SOC while its being charged.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
436 Posts
I'm not too concerned about the 'no expiration' on Chargepoint app. They just keep taking $10 off your CC when your balance goes below $5. However, I did confirm that for EVgo the credit expires after 3 years so I'm good until September 2024. And I did confirm over the weekend that they're taking it out of the credit so I appreciate what I've learned here. I guess the only disadvantage is you can't use the CP app to see a running cost/kw while charging and EVgo sends you 2 emails: 1 saying you started charging and 2 saying what it cost you when you completed.

Of course you can always use the Chevy app to see your running battery SOC while its being charged.
Sorry about that. I said "CP app", and meant to say "EVgo app."

·
Registered
233 Posts
I did not get a Qmerit installation but I had a unique solution as I only have a 100 amp panel that is full. (it was updated in 1989 as my home was built in 1950) My utility has a special rate for EVs and that rate requires a seperate meter. So that meter is not run thru my panel but directly to the EVSC charger in my garage and that is the only devise that can be on the meter. This is similar to my utility that offers lower rates if you connect up your air conditioner on a sperate meter and rate and allows them to turn off the AC if the utility deems an emergency power problem in the summer (only for 20 minutes every few hours). Since I live in Michigan we don't have many brown outs in the summer. So maybe a seperate meter is a solution for some with full electrical boxes. My utility is Detroit Edison.

I ran the #8 cable through my attic in my ranch about 110 feet to the garage. I installed the cable in plastic conduit in garage and the 14/50 socket. I only use a 40 amp breaker and set it to 32 amps in the car. All works perfect and I feel good about a seperate circuit not in my panel that would draw a lot of power.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts