Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was amusing to keep on my car for a few days. :D:D

I'm not sure if its more funny or sad, as obviously this Chevy dealership really doesn't know how to market and advertise to EV fans (or owners!)

A Tesla driver behind me in stop-and-go traffic today took a photo... good for a laugh, I'm sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Hah, that's pretty good!

I've got a similar story; about a month after taking delivery of my Bolt I got a very nice printed mailer talking about how my local GM dealers's mechanics are specially trained and know the best way to maintain my Bolt. I especially like the picture of the mechanic pouring a quart of oil into the engine compartment. Check it!

Apparently this was sent out by Chevrolet Canada head office. When the service manager at my dealership saw this he tore a strip off the morons that put it together hahaha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
LOL I love it haha. I'm still surprised that even after all this time, things like this still happen. It kind of worries me about the training they're receiving or information for that matter

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Bolt is my first Chevy and the placard is both funny and sad. The Bolt has the opportunity to be 'cool' car or the 'anti-Tesla' (like the VW Bug of 50 years ago) but these mistakes, ignorance and lack of preparedness on the part of the dealers may doom it. It reminds me of why Tesla has their own dealerships.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
....the placard is both funny and sad.... but these mistakes, ignorance and lack of preparedness on the part of the dealers may doom it. It reminds me of why Tesla has their own dealerships.
Yup, it's just lazy work and same-old, same-old, business as usual attitude by entrenched dealerships.

Is anyone at the dealership or GM actually paying attention?

We get "thank you" postcards on behalf of GM/Local Dealership thanking us for investing in our future, etc... by going electric, then the very next day we get "free Oil change" offers from the same dealership.

Hello.... wake the *uck up already GM and pay attention! Stop embarrassing yourselves and your dealers!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Of all car makers it had to be GM. I know they can't build EV dealers which is fine but at least having some people on a dedicated EV team would help, that way we sort of get the Tesla dealer experience and maybe even better. Easier to cover some extra salaries than build entire showrooms and service stations.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I feel like it's either a really bad and long over-running joke going on... or they're just looking like the biggest jokes ever over at GM for this going on for so long.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I still get messages about vehicles I traded in

Dont worry - you will get email reminders to change the oil in your EV.
I still get messages from the dealers or manufacturers about previous vehicles I owned even though I traded them in quite a while back. Not too long ago I got one about the recall for a vehicle I hadn't owned for years, and I'm pretty sure I had earlier told the manufacturer I didn't own that vehicle anymore. I will still probably get messages from the dealer about how it's time to do some maintenance activity for my Volt for years after I trade it in.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
This thread does illustrate the challenges going forward facing established dealerships. Dealerships make very little profit on new car sales, so they try to start up a relationship with buyers for service, parts and of course future car sales. Their biggest money maker is used car sales. Even though they look big, monumental and loaded with money, many dealerships are just skating by and can only survive on volume sales.

Electric cars make this situation worse for them. They know they won't be in for much service, they know they won't be buying any parts and they also know that BEVs don't help sell any of the other cars on their lots. It's easy to see how they wouldn't be thrilled about the future of transportation. Tesla has it easy because they have the opportunity to right size the sales and service to the new realities of electric cars. The established dealerships are going to have to make some very painful downsizing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sort of off topic, but the Chevy dealership down the street from me just changed ownership. NO more free oil changes for those who purchased through the previous owners. So much for life.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
That seems a bit ironic given the stories of how often Teslas end up in the shop.
They have the opportunity, but they have yet to reach the right size! :laugh: That's one of the huge turn offs for me with a Tesla. I have been a life long (since age 4) DIYer and I come from generations of DIYers. There is not a vehicle yet I have owned that I didn't wrench on.

Tesla won't sell parts to anybody and they won't sell service manuals to anyone. Your Tesla breaks and you are held hostage to the Tesla service center. They will fix it at their pace and they will charge you whatever Tesla decides. At this point in time with Tesla's wild popularity and unique position in the marketplace, there is zero incentive for them to hire more technicians and expand facilities. IMO, a lot of Model 3 owners are not going to be very happy after the sale.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Tesla won't sell parts to anybody and they won't sell service manuals to anyone. Your Tesla breaks and you are held hostage to the Tesla service center.
I honestly didn't know that.... is that for real?

So, my break pads wear out (maybe a bad example :D) and I can't go to the parts counter at the T dealership and buy replacement pads?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Tesla is now making parts and (electronic) repair manuals available to independent mechanics. They're not making it easy or cheap, but they're now doing it.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I honestly didn't know that.... is that for real?

So, my break pads wear out (maybe a bad example :D) and I can't go to the parts counter at the T dealership and buy replacement pads?
This is correct. There is no Tesla parts counter.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Tesla is now making parts and (electronic) repair manuals available to independent mechanics. They're not making it easy or cheap, but they're now doing it.
Yes, I understand they are training independent shops to be certified Tesla service providers at what rate I don't know. It's my understanding that as a Tesla owner you cannot buy parts, or obtain a service manual from anybody.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Yes, I understand they are training independent shops to be certified Tesla service providers at what rate I don't know. It's my understanding that as a Tesla owner you cannot buy parts, or obtain a service manual from anybody.
If you are in Massachusetts, Tesla has to supply manuals and parts to owners because of the state's Right to Repair law.

Reactions: DaV8or

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
If you are in Massachusetts, Tesla has to supply manuals and parts to owners because of the state's Right to Repair law.
I did not know that. I like that legislation. I believe that if you buy a piece of equipment and you own it, you should be able to fix it yourself if you want. You should not have to be held hostage to the manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts